• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: The Vega Review Thread.

What do we think about Vega?

• What has AMD been doing for the past 1-2 years?

• It consumes how many watts and is how loud!!!

• It is not that bad.

• Want to buy but put off by pricing and warranty.

• I will be buying one for sure (I own a Freesync monitor so have little choice).

• Better red than dead.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Associate
They should have just done an nvidia "founders edition" pricing. Have the founders at $599 then the AIB at $499, then sell everything at $599+

Not an issue when nvidia does it :p

Soldato
I'll be honest the whole pricing thing is getting boring now. I know AMD properly dropped the ball with the Vega launch and it would appear they attempted to mislead with lower prices to off set the quite frankly disappointing performance.

The video posted above shows an overclocked 64 not even matching a stock AIB 1080.

It's been quite clear to most even before launch that they would be offering less performance for more money and whilst that's now been confirmed it's hardly new news.

Soldato
You think it's old news and over?

HAHA

The recycling of rumour and who said what on what forum has only just begun.

Many tech news sites have not yet run the story. Without positive news to run on Vega they will happily run negative news on Vega. The spam of pricing drama will be all they can use to farm views from this card launch.

Associate
You think it's old news and over?

HAHA

The recycling of rumour and who said what on what forum has only just begun.

Many tech news sites have not yet run the story. Without positive news to run on Vega they will happily run negative news on Vega. The spam of pricing drama will be all they can use to farm views from this card launch.

I admire your persistent spin. AMD dropped a clanger on pricing. Deliberate or not, it's a mess of their own making.

Soldato
Who cares, all this drama is proper cheese.

Dont buy it and keep your cash, buy a PS4 with that cash and a crap load of exclusives you cant get on PC, or go on holiday or something for that kind of money. Who cares about an overpriced block of computer bits, its insane! Some perspective is needed, its a Graphics card, its £550 Just no.

Soldato
I admire your persistent spin. AMD dropped a clanger on pricing. Deliberate or not, it's a mess of their own making.

That's the thing, I don't admire a gangbang driven on rumour. Sadly this can set someone up when they go around to find sources and bring them to the party.

Do I think mistakes were made? Yup. Have people been throwing claims incorrectly? Yes to that too, not keen on that that kind of thing.

Associate
That's the thing, I don't admire a gangbang driven on rumour. Sadly this can set someone up to be biased when they go around to find sources and bring them to the party.

I'll quote kitguru again, just for you.

At the end of July, KitGuru was one of the publications invited to SIGGRAPH 2017, during which, AMD finally unveiled RX Vega to the world. At the time, we were given a $499 MSRP for the RX Vega64, which we were told should work out at around £450 here in the UK. What AMD failed to disclose was that this was intended as a ‘launch day only’ price, causing undue confusion for buyers, putting unnecessary blame on retailers for ‘price hikes’ and even potentially skewing the conclusions of early reviews.

Soldato
Who cares, all this drama is proper cheese.

Dont buy it and keep your cash, buy a PS4 with that cash and a crap load of exclusives you cant get on PC, or go on holiday or something for that kind of money. Who cares about an overpriced block of computer bits, its insane! Some perspective is needed, its a Graphics card, its £550 Just no.
You will be paying quite a bit more over time for PSN, especially now that the price is going up. I couldn't play FPS type games on console anymore either, but that's just me.

Soldato
If the "true RRP" of Vega 64 is indeed $600 then it becomes a complete waste of time, rather than nearly a waste of time. If Vega 56 isn't $400 or lower why even bother releasing it? I can get a GTX 1070 for £400 anywhere.

Associate

At the end of July, KitGuru was one of the publications invited to SIGGRAPH 2017, during which, AMD finally unveiled RX Vega to the world. At the time, we were given a $499 MSRP for the RX Vega64, which we were told should work out at around £450 here in the UK. What AMD failed to disclose was that this was intended as a ‘launch day only’ price, causing undue confusion for buyers, putting unnecessary blame on retailers for ‘price hikes’ and even potentially skewing the conclusions of early reviews.
AMD didnt fail to disclose the right price , they just changed their mind on it à bit late

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Makes me wish I would have purchased that watercooled 1080Ti from members market for £520 when I had the chance. Would have never thought AMD would have messed Vega up this bad. From my perspective a new low for AMD.

Soldato

That's alright I'll quote Gibbo again.

Launch day info, top of the product listings.

Now the good and bad news, the good news is AMD are rebating early launch sales to allow us to hit £449.99 on the stand alone black card which has no games. This is a launch only price which AMD at present are saying will be withdrawn in the near future, when if it happens is unknown, but remember do not be shocked if the price jumps nearly £100 in a few days.

This time round there is no early adopter tax, quite the opposite on the stand alone black card, so do be quick.

AMD Launch price of $499, some posters get it, some do not, but in fairness AMD have wored things poorly causing mass confusion.

Black stand alone card was $499 for a set launch quantity, which is now all sold, as such now all you can buy from OcUK is the bundle packs, Black and Silver which are $599 or the Aqua which is $699.
Stand alone is no more, unless AMD say so.

The SEP is $599 and $699 excluding tax.

Why was I doing this.

Ah yes, people were claiming they had no information on official price or why the price was increased.

OCUK had plenty of correct information and yet still drama.

Soldato
It is a great shame they couldn't create a card to complement their current crop of processers, looks like they can go head to head with intel currently, but are unable to cope with NVidia.
This is a very long thread in such a short space of time.

Do we have any simple summary charts showing vega 64 against a 1060 1070 and 1080?

Soldato
Launch day info, enough said. $499 until launch day. What don't you get?

What don't you get, OCUK members were given the info and we still have drama that results in needing to direct the available information to them.

I'll quote myself again

Do I think mistakes were made? Yup. Have people been throwing claims incorrectly? Yes to that too, not keen on that that kind of thing.

Soldato
It is a great shame they couldn't create a card to complement their current crop of processers, looks like they can go head to head with intel currently, but are unable to cope with NVidia.
This is a very long thread in such a short space of time.

Do we have any simple summary charts showing vega 64 against a 1060 1070 and 1080?

Have had since launch under vega reviews in google search.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-8gb-review,1.html

There's about half a dozen major written reviews in english.

Associate
I'll be honest the whole pricing thing is getting boring now. I know AMD properly dropped the ball with the Vega launch and it would appear they attempted to mislead with lower prices to off set the quite frankly disappointing performance.

The video posted above shows an overclocked 64 not even matching a stock AIB 1080.

It's been quite clear to most even before launch that they would be offering less performance for more money and whilst that's now been confirmed it's hardly new news.

It's not really surprising, I mean the signs were there all along. My expectation was that these cards will slot between 1070 and 1080 performance wise. That seems to be the case so far. Some people sure jumped up at that, but based on what AMD did before and the performance of the 480, 580 cards, this was expected. You don't have major leaps in performance when your cards barely beat competition's 3 years old cards. It would have been nice if AMD were honest about what they were doing, a lot of people here praise them for being the only honest and open GPU manufacturer and unfortunately the reality could not be further from the truth.

Soldato

Are you arguing?

They promised the 480 at £175 and we got that, very briefly.

Maybe it wasn't clear enough this time? It's definitely not new for them to do it.

I can't even recall if there was any difference between the kind of notice on launch pricing we had for vega and the 480 launch except there were more positives to talk about for 480.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom