New Spec - £1200 - £1500

Soldato
Hi,

My freind is looking for a new pc, for around £1200

All he needs is

Case, CPU, Gfx, RAM, HDD, Case, Mobo, and probably windows too.

Not looking to overclock will be used for games.

Thanks

Soldato
Hi,

My freind is looking for a new pc, for around £1200

All he needs is

Case, CPU, Gfx, RAM, HDD, Case, Mobo, and probably windows too.

Not looking to overclock will be used for games.

Thanks

key question is what Res will he be playing - if its 1080p, money could be shifted from GPU to prettier things or vise versa

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,255.15
(includes shipping: £15.30)

Nice case stock fans moved to the front, fancy RGB to the bakc and top where it can be seen, PSU does the job , Cooler will keep it cool and allow it to stretch its legs but not over the top, zotac gtx 1070 with 5 years warranty- think OCUK cover the 2 years in UK but 5 years needs to be reg within 28 days. NVMe for fast OS and 2TB for gaming, Ram enough for gaming and fast speed that the board can handle and will help the Ryzen core.
Ryzen in 4 cores 8 Threads , should handle gaming just fine with the 1070 - but system would work well with 1440p 60hz monitor :)

sorry, didnt see £1500 limit. could add AIO from NZXT- Kraken x62 280mm as well as stepping up the CPU to Ryzen 5 1600 - X if cash allows since no manual Overclock- Maybe 3TB HDD​

Last edited:
Soldato
So he doesn't need a PSU?

Here's a quick build assuming his needs are correct in your first post. I've gone with a good air cooler as I find there's less to go wrong (plus I have the white version and it's whisper quiet with a 7700K running a mild overclock). I also have the same case and it's extremely easy to build in and looks the dog's in my opinion.

Total: £1,452.11
(includes shipping: £13.20)

Soldato
The 1700's stock cooler works past a 3.7 overclock on all cores, you could spend the money on faster RAM instead.

It is very simple to get a 1700 overclocked to 3.7Ghz, my runs at 1.2v and temps at most in low 50's on stock cooler.

Just at most a couple of BIOS settings (CPU Multiplier to 37.0 and possibly a slight voltage increase) and improves the performance in games.

Soldato
If no PSU, remove and you've hit £1200 bang on tidy :)

Worth googling stock Ryzen 1500, 1600 and 1700 to see if core count make any difference in the games he would like to play . Speed would but he won't overclocking it .

Soldato
For £1225 can't go wrong but if there is extra cash, push for the 1080 armor as mentioned above

Needs a different PSU for the Zotac 1070 or Armor 1080 though. One with two power connectors. The description for the Zotac 1070 seems to be wrong (pic shows two power connection headers).

Soldato
Needs a different PSU for the Zotac 1070 or Armor 1080 though. One with two power connectors. The description for the Zotac 1070 seems to be wrong (pic shows two power connection headers).

my epic fail!

Total: £171.98
(includes shipping: £11.10)

not much more in costing and a bit of selection

Soldato
my epic fail!

Total: £171.98
(includes shipping: £11.10)

not much more in costing and a bit of selection

I wouldn't want any of those in a £1200 - £1500 pc. Spend a bit extra and get a good quality 550W unit like the Bitfenix Whisper, XFX XTR or Seasonic Focus etc.

Soldato
I wouldn't want any of those in a £1200 - £1500 pc. Spend a bit extra and get a good quality 550W unit like the Bitfenix Whisper, XFX XTR or Seasonic Focus etc.

Used those brands in many builds up to £2k , I don't think OCUK would stock then I'd they were bad. Spend some time on Google and you'll find a lot of PSUs come out the same factory in China :)
Yes, spending more should eliminate chances of coil whine but not always the case and some have more redundancy features like EVGA of superflower who produce them etc etc

Build comes in at £1250 odd for a max budget of £1500, OP could quite easily bump it up for Corsair AXi or Dark Pro 11 even superflower King :)

Soldato
Used those brands in many builds up to £2k , I don't think OCUK would stock then I'd they were bad. Spend some time on Google and you'll find a lot of PSUs come out the same factory in China :)
Yes, spending more should eliminate chances of coil whine but not always the case and some have more redundancy features like EVGA of superflower who produce them etc etc

Build comes in at £1250 odd for a max budget of £1500, OP could quite easily bump it up for Corsair AXi or Dark Pro 11 even superflower King :)

You should never skimp on the psu though. A lot of these lower end units will have cheaper internal components as they have to cut costs somewhere to come in at a low price.

With your build you could easily drop some of the unnecessary items (Cooler and RGB fans/controller) and spend it on a better psu.

Something like this Seasonic Focus which comes with a 10 year warranty.

Total: £95.45
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Soldato
Hey, orbitalwalsh - reminds me i need to take a look at your build progress. Was looking impressive last time i looked.

I don't think OCUK would stock then I'd they were bad.

They've had their moments (discontinued now)- this post by Gibbo a few years ago was funny and brutally honest :)

Gibbo said:
CiT 500W "80+ Gold Edition" 12cm Fan Silent Power Supply @ £19.99 inc VAT **NOT RECOMMENDED**

CA-089-OK_400.jpg

A value 80+ certified gold power supply for anyone building a budget PC system.
OcUK does not recommend this PSU for those building gaming PC's as this PSU is built to meet a price point and with power supplies you get what you pay for!

>snip<

Only £19.99 inc VAT - OcUK DOES NOT RECOMMEND THIS UNIT!!

ORDER NOW - DO NOT BUY THIS IT IS JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldato
Hey, orbitalwalsh - reminds me i need to take a look at your build progress. Was looking impressive last time i looked.

They've had their moments (discontinued now)- this post by Gibbo a few years ago was funny and brutally honest :)

Yeah I remember that. They also had those awful 'OCUK' branded units that were just as good for Fireworks night :D

Soldato
but that was him stating it was bad, Kolink ones have just been fine for myself . Have a unit i've just tested 5 Zotac 1080 Amps with and no coil whine after card run in bar Unigine which is alwas a given . Granted if I was every going to run dual cards, then yes a better PSU would be picked based on Amp range etc etc

Back
Top Bottom