URGENT HELP - PC WON'T TURN ON AT ALL??!

Associate
OP
Okay update,

I tried putting the Case header for the reset switch into the power switch slot, and it turns the computer on, but nothing comes up on the screen, and the keyboard & mouse don't come on, it just basically gets stuck until you manually shutdown the computer by turning the power off,

The reset switch works fine as a reset button in its proper slot, but the only way to get the computer to boot properly into windows is using the screwdriver... still point towards dodgy case headers?

Soldato
I bought a new Mobo, CPU and put them in my old case with my old PSU, worked absolutely fine
its all back in the case and working now (when using a screwdriver to power on) so just gonna leave it and go with replacement case
The reset switch works fine as a reset button in its proper slot, but the only way to get the computer to boot properly into windows is using the screwdriver... still point towards dodgy case headers?
Yes.

But if you want to rule out the new PSU conclusively you could attach the new PSU to motherboard, and attach old case headers - if it works everything points towards the new case as point of failure.

Associate
OP
Yes.

But if you want to rule out the new PSU conclusively you could attach the new PSU to motherboard, and attach old case headers - if it works everything points towards the new case as point of failure.

I just tried the new PSU that came tonight, exactly the same thing happening, so its definitely not the PSU,

I'd say it all but confirms its the case thats fooked!

Soldato
Have you definitely got the right number of motherboard standoffs in the case? And does each motherboard mounting screw firmly into each one? It could be something as simple as one extra motherboard standoff which is shorting your motherboard.

Soldato
Have you definitely got the right number of motherboard standoffs in the case? And does each motherboard mounting screw firmly into each one? It could be something as simple as one extra motherboard standoff which is shorting your motherboard.
He would have ruled this out with the 'out of case test' - but reading back it's not clear if he ran this test setup when it was suggested.

Could you clarify @rmonkey100 that you were testing outside of the case when running last lot of tests - i.e. motherboard sat outside of case and case leads attached to front panel header?

Associate
OP
He would have ruled this out with the 'out of case test' - but reading back it's not clear if he ran this test setup when it was suggested.

Could you clarify @rmonkey100 that you were testing outside of the case when running last lot of tests - i.e. motherboard sat outside of case and case leads attached to front panel header?

I didn't try out of the case test as I was too tired & had been messing around for hours with it, but I did check the motherboard stand offs and all were fine and all screws screwed in firmly and properly, with exact same problem happening on 2 motherboards and 2 PSUs

My new case is coming tomorrow so I guess I'll see then if it was the case!

Soldato
I didn't try out of the case test as I was too tired & had been messing around for hours with it, but I did check the motherboard stand offs and all were fine and all screws screwed in firmly and properly, with exact same problem happening on 2 motherboards and 2 PSUs

My new case is coming tomorrow so I guess I'll see then if it was the case!
My point in checking if the screws were firm, was to ensure they were going into the standoffs and therefore they were aligned. I wasn't really worried about if the screws were tight, but just engaging.

It'd be interesting if you tested the motherboard outside the case, but stood vertical. I wonder if there's something like the CPU cooler pressing against the CPU at a weird angle when upright is causing the issue. Or it could be just your RAM needs to be reinserted.

Associate
OP
My point in checking if the screws were firm, was to ensure they were going into the standoffs and therefore they were aligned. I wasn't really worried about if the screws were tight, but just engaging.

It'd be interesting if you tested the motherboard outside the case, but stood vertical. I wonder if there's something like the CPU cooler pressing against the CPU at a weird angle when upright is causing the issue. Or it could be just your RAM needs to be reinserted.

I've tried loosening, tighting the CPU cooler etc, tried different RAM combinations, nothing works, it all comes down to just the case header cable for the power switch, thats the only thing thats not working

Associate
OP
Quick Update:

New case arrived this evening, put everything together and it seems to be working perfectly first time :D

So it looks like the last case just had a faulty case header for the power switch

Thanks for everyones help!

Back
Top Bottom