Spec me a Hotel in LA

Soldato
Going over Christmas and will be in LA for roughly a week. There's 2 adults + 2 adults and a baby. Would like to stay in a decent neighbourhood close to Universal, Disney etc. I looked at the Garland hotel but it's a little of my price range at £300 a night. Great location though. £200 a night would be my limit, even less would be better providing it's not a motel or a dive. Cheers :)

Associate
I have stayed at the Holiday Inn at Burbank a couple of times with work (recommended by a supplier I was visiting). Fairly cheap with a nice area to walk (shock horror) with shops and restaurants all the way up to the mall, one of the few places in LA I didn't feel like I was going to be shot.

Soldato
The issue you have is that there is no hotel that really fits the bill as being close to Universal and Disney as they are both basically the opposite sides of the 'LA area'. I would consider staying in more than 1 hotel if you want to be close. Getting across LA can take hours in peek times the traffic is insane.

I would just have a look at Expedia and go from there, chain hotels will be pretty consistent across the board. A few things you just need to watch out for is that:
Parking is often for free
Included breakfast can sometimes be not great, really depends on the hotel
Traffic is stupid, check out some of your proposed routes on google maps at the times you expect to travel
LA its self can be proper rough as the above poster indicated, tends to get better generally the further away you get.

The three nights I stayed in LA were well outside of LA itself:
Hotel Indigo, Anahiem. Reasonable price, great for Disney and free parking. Cheesecake Factory down the road for cheap eats.
Courtyard by Marriott Santa Maria, nice big rooms, paid parking, had breakfast included and it was fantastic but expensive if you have to pay. Hotel is not too far from Disney but gives good access to San Diego attractions such as Lego Land and Sea World about an hour away.
Homewood Suits by Hilton, was good but this was way out of town in Oxnard but I am sure they would have other locations better for you. Big clean rooms, could self cater if from here if you wanted to.

Last edited:
Soldato
My advice, don't stay in LA if you can help it. If you've not been before, experience what the better, closer parts have to offer. Get to the Georgian hotel in Santa Monica and if heading south, there's Laguna Tides at Laguna beach

Man of Honour
My advice, don't stay in LA if you can help it. If you've not been before, experience what the better, closer parts have to offer. Get to the Georgian hotel in Santa Monica and if heading south, there's Laguna Tides at Laguna beach

This. LA is a dump, other than a few nice "touristy" bits, it's just not a pleasant place at all.

Soldato
This. LA is a dump, other than a few nice "touristy" bits, it's just not a pleasant place at all.
Whenever an LA thread comes up people feel the need to slate it massively. Sure there's a lot of crap parts (central Hollywood is pretty dire) but like most cities it has a lot of wonderful areas. Marina del Ray, Santa Monica (away from the tourists), Malibu, Manhattan Beach to name a few. Even Venice Beach is pretty nice in a hipster way. Heck West Hollywood is lovely around the residential areas. LA is actually a collection of cities so saying LA sucks is rather a massive generalisation - a bit like saying the whole north of England sucks..

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info guys. I'm looking at a few air bnbs as well. I'll check out santa monica as a lot of people have recommended that particular area. I'll have a hire car for my time there and will be driving down to san diego over Xmas for a few days before flying back home.

Associate
Whenever an LA thread comes up people feel the need to slate it massively. Sure there's a lot of crap parts (central Hollywood is pretty dire) but like most cities it has a lot of wonderful areas. Marina del Ray, Santa Monica (away from the tourists), Malibu, Manhattan Beach to name a few. Even Venice Beach is pretty nice in a hipster way. Heck West Hollywood is lovely around the residential areas. LA is actually a collection of cities so saying LA sucks is rather a massive generalisation - a bit like saying the whole north of England sucks..

Don't get me wrong, I actually love LA - big movie buff. But it is the one place I have been to in the states where I am acutely aware of their gun crime issues and the fact that as a tourist I have no idea of which neighbourhoods are a big no no to venture until I stumble upon them. In my experience the really nice places are never more than a stones throw from some ghetto so it is easily done without local knowledge.

Soldato
Thanks for the info guys. I'm looking at a few air bnbs as well. I'll check out santa monica as a lot of people have recommended that particular area. I'll have a hire car for my time there and will be driving down to san diego over Xmas for a few days before flying back home.
Santa Monica is nice but it's a trek across town to Universal.

I've stayed in the Sunset Marquis for work before and that's brilliant. Probably a bit pricey though.

Back
Top Bottom