• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
Choo Choo Loads is the Driver and Humbug the conductor.
If we start now the Hype train should pick up enough speed to last a few years.:p

Associate
Well i hope Navi can leverage the multi-die infinity fabric tech seen on Threadripper, it should help them output cards that can compete whilst being cheaper. Though at this stage IPC will have to be improved as will power draw. No excuses - AMD don't come out competitive next time, i'll be jumping on Nvidia.

lnfinity fabric isn't going to address the issue - GCN. GCN is the bulldozer of GPU's. Luckily for AMD graphics division GPU scale better than CPU's so adding more cores does help but hurts in profit margins and performance per watt. They have been tweaking it for the last 5 years but just like bulldozer until they gut the architecture and bring in people that know what they are doing then they aren't going anywhere.

Vega's performance was known 14 months ago(give or take a few %) but Navi is much harder to predict as there are too many unknowns.

Associate
lnfinity fabric isn't going to address the issue - GCN. GCN is the bulldozer of GPU's. Luckily for AMD graphics division GPU scale better than CPU's so adding more cores does help but hurts in profit margins and performance per watt. They have been tweaking it for the last 5 years but just like bulldozer until they gut the architecture and bring in people that know what they are doing then they aren't going anywhere.

Vega's performance was known 14 months ago(give or take a few %) but Navi is much harder to predict as there are too many unknowns.

That's going to be expensive to switch to a whole new arch.

As i see it (and i'm no engineer) if perf per watt can be improved infinity fabric will allow AMD to utilise smaller dies connected, thus improving yields reducing costs, helping them stay competitive. If perf per watt can't be improved we may end up needing 3 8-pin pci-e power connectors to keep parity with Nvidia- not ideal. Of course the die shrink has to be factored in.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah?

So what is a good Navi meant to look like vs Nvidia then.

Is this the impossible expectation train that AMD should be able to beat Nvidias development budget and head start with hopes and dreams?
They have done fine for many years and got my money. I would not be surprised if they do it with Navi. They do not need to beat Nvidia for performance, they need to be able offer better price for performance like they have nearly always done until Fury. They did well with Ryzen and I will likely buy their Zen 2 7nm CPU if they improve on that.

But I ain't buying a card that is late, the same or worse performance than what their competitor offer for more money. And no I don't give a toss how good at compute it is. That is a different market. 99% of people posting here care about gaming performance.

Back
Top Bottom