Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

One

One

Soldato
I thought that one was a complete mess :( the pacing is killing the show for me. It was still a good episode i guess, but it just felt predictable at every turn really

It's making me yearn for some books. It's still a great TV show but it's starting to lose the nuance it had before. They're writing and filming the wrap up of ASoIaF in 2 years, whereas it takes GRRRRRM 5+ years per book now. It's going to get clunky, the stretch of imagination required will be more. mSeason 6 followed from trends set in previous season created by book material, now they're forging their own path and using even less time than they've had before!

Soldato
As much as I'm enjoying it I can't help feel that it needs 10-12 episodes a season even with longer ones to give enough time for the plot to develop. Just feels a little too rushed in general and it would have allowed Dorne to have a bigger role.

Soldato
It's making me yearn for some books. It's still a great TV show but it's starting to lose the nuance it had before. They're writing and filming the wrap up of ASoIaF in 2 years, whereas it takes GRRRRRM 5+ years per book now. It's going to get clunky, the stretch of imagination required will be more. mSeason 6 followed from trends set in previous season created by book material, now they're forging their own path and using even less time than they've had before!

To be fair they are trying to finish a story GRRM hasn't managed to finish himself yet. They are losing a lot of little plots etc, I realised they killed off a huge number of characters but those left aren't being used as well as they could have. We've seen very little of Brienne, Littlefinger, Varys etc and many only pop up at very convenient moments like Euron with no development at all outside of the very short appearances to drive the plot forward at pace.

Soldato
I have never moaned about GoT, never really understood the people who seemed to dislike it but watched every week but that for me was the weakest episode I think I've ever seen in all the seasons.

I've stayed completely spoiler free all week but within several minutes of it starting the outcome was obvious, although tbh it was obvious from the minute they decided to go north.

The whole run back to the wall, get a raven to dragonstone then fly back to their location took how long, a single night? The alternative that they sat on a rock for a couple of days/weeks is even a more rediculous, it's descended into farce.

Soldato
Saw this post on reddit which sounds plausible. Clearly not every second of this adventure was shown. Quoted due to swearies all over the comments:

Vis-hoka said:
Since there has been a lot of contention about the speed with which the Raven and Dany fly back and forth to get to our heroes, I thought it would be fun to do some math and see if it's in any way possible. So how long would Jon and company be sitting on that rock waiting to be rescued while the ice thickens enough to support an army of undead? Here are the things we need to figure out to do so:

How long would it take Gendry to get to the wall from where they were attacked?

-I don't think they traveled very far past the wall since it is stated that they Night King was already near Eastwatch to begin with. Not to mention that the journey for our heroes seems to take place within the course of less than a day. No campfire, no nighttime. I think it would be reasonable to assume that the run back to the wall could have been done within 6 hours.

How fast and how far can a Raven fly?

-This is a little trickier since these Ravens live in a fantasy world but I think the best way to think of them is like real life carrier pigeons, which can travel up to 1100 miles at an average speed of 50MPH according to this:http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Ravens and this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homing_pigeonhttp://www.sermountaingoat.co.uk/map/versions/map_canon_only.jpghttp://www.outdoorcanada.ca/How_Fast_Does_Your_Lake_Make_Ice , if we assume that north of the wall has an average temperature of -20 F (which is anyone's guess really but we'll assume the coldest point on the chart), this would mean in 4 days the ice could have gotten up to 12 inches thick in average conditions. According to the article, this means no snow and no clouds (both of which can reduce the ice forming process by half. Since there was both snow and clouds at the time, this could mean that anywhere from 6-12 inches of ice would have formed in 4 days time.

Now is that enough to support the weight of a human being or wight?

• According to http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/thickness.html it would take 4" of ice to be safe to go Ice fishing, 5-7" for snowmobiling, and 8-15" for various automobiles. Since we are talking about an army of undead crossing the ice and engaging in open combat I would be willing to assume we would need at least the 5-7" of ice required for snowmobiling, if not more like the 8-15" required by automobiles. All those bodies and jerky motions create a lot of stress on the ice.
IN CONCLUSION:

It seems to me that the just over 4 day travel time required for Dany to to receive the Raven and fly to Eastwatch, seems to line up accurately with the amount of time it would take ice to grow enough to support an army of undead to fight on top of it in those conditions.

Thanks to D&D for doing the science : )

It sounds reasonable to me but I don't really care that much as I'm just enjoying the story!

Associate
I really struggled to enjoy this episode. It feels like the writers are now just moving the show from one action set piece to the next, whilst skipping on all the subtlety and politics which, imo, made it great. They have removed the 'game' from the game of thrones.

I'm currently reading through the books which makes these episodes feel even more hollow. I hope GRRM seriously reworks these final episodes when he puts pen to paper.

Soldato
In an episode where a spear of ice, thrown by the king of the undead, kills a fire breathing dragon, some of you are questioning the believability of that scenario. In a fantasy adaption it's as likely as the writers decide to make it. Some of you guys are taking this way too seriously. :p

Soldato
yes but inevitably there will be some moaning about it unfortunately, it has happened after every episode this season, same old dubious arguments

So I've noticed. I'm straight up enjoying banter filled hikes interrupted by the occasional sword fight and some backstabbing be it real or politically. It's fun and it takes my mind off my crappy life for an hour a week!

Caporegime
My money is on all of them copping it other than John with him being saved by his uncle.
Someones read some spoilers :D

great, thanks for confirming that one guys, well before the episode even aired...

So I've noticed. I'm straight up enjoying banter filled hikes interrupted by the occasional sword fight and some backstabbing be it real or politically. It's fun and it takes my mind off my crappy life for an hour a week!

I think they've been great episodes so far, the time lines have converged and we're really progressing things in preparation for some climatic events next season.

Soldato
A book question. Are literature fans being done over here by being given pretty much the same story albeit minus the lengthy details. Or is GRRM having to completely come up with something different. Not sure I could enjoy the books as much with an imagination full of scenes from the TV show. I liked having my own perspective of the characters.

Permabanned
In an episode where a spear of ice, thrown by the king of the undead, kills a fire breathing dragon, some of you are questioning the believability of that scenario. In a fantasy adaption it's as likely as the writers decide to make it. Some of you guys are taking this way too seriously. :p

It's still got to be believable within the limits of the world. If in the next episode a spaceship came down and conquered westoros.... how annoying would it be for some people turn around to you and say 'Well it's fantasy.... With undead and fire breathing dragons.... Some of you guys are taking this way too seriously'

Caporegime
I think some key points will be the same but no, there are additional arcs in the book not even covered in the show - though their absence in the show might potentially act as a spoiler to book fans as it strongly indicates that the arcs are not going to pan out - for example:

this doesn't spoil anything in the show but it is book talk so:

there is another potential Targaryen claimant in the books who lands in Westeros with an army, he should have appeared in season 5 if they were going to use him, clearly he's not going to feature

there is also at least one main character alive in the books who has been killed in the show

Back
Top Bottom