5400 or 7200rpm for long term storage?

Associate
I was wondering if the life of a slower speed drive would outlast a faster one if I was to buy a data storage drive. This is just to keep data on and not to play games or run programs.

Associate
I would go for the 5400 if its just for data storage. I actually use several 5400rpm drives for my NAS which has all my moviesand files and it easily keeps up with multiple users watching movies simultaneous.

as for 3.5 vs 2.5 I would go 3.5...for no other reason than better heat dissipation on the larger drives...but thats just my opinion

Associate
OP
I did wonder if a bigger drive would dissipate the heat better than the smaller one, but it also has a bigger motor and uses more power so more heat. I am not sure what is the best option, but at the end of the day I think its all luck of the draw with them all.

Soldato
I was just debating this when buying 10TB drives (WD Red) for my NAS, as there are 5.4k, and 7.2K options.

Normally, I'd go with 5.4, but in the case of these particular drives, the URE rates are lower on the 7.2K (I.e., they're more reliable..and come with a longer warranty). I'd look at all the specs and take a balanced view.

Associate
OP
This is more interesting than I thought. Why would you get a better warranty on a 7200rpm drive? Also why are the ure rates lower? Now I got to start looking into this deeper than I thought I would have to.

Associate
OP
I would like a massive 1tb or 2tb ssd, but not at the price they are now. when they come down I think I will get one also as they are good for long life data storage.

Associate
How long are you going to keep the data , how importante is it , how much do you need to store, how much do you want to spend, how much effort do you want to use , is it for business home soho tax records etc. Consider putting it on the cloud as that saves you the hassle of looking after it migrating it. Think about your death !! if you password it who knows the password? if yoou get divorced does your partner get half the data? or do you both get to keep a copy?

Associate
OP
well as long as possible, as its used on and off every day. I just want to reduce the risk of it breaking on me, even though I back the data up now and then on external's.
The drive I have is now old and pauses for about 30 seconds every now and then when I am watching films from it. I think this is a early warning it's going to die. I was thinking of the 2tb toshiba e300 5400rpm HDD, what do you think?

Soldato
Never used a Toshiba drive. Everyone is likely to either make recommendations from personal experience, or quite BackBlaze stats.

I'm running WD Reds and have never had an issue bar two drives that came DOA from OCUK due to poor packaging. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Back
Top Bottom