How often do you replace CLP?

Soldato
Hello, just wondering how often you guys find you have to replace your liquid pro/ultra on your CPUs? I seem to have to do mine about 1-2 times a year to keep the temp down, recently some of my cores were hitting mid 80s gaming so i stuck some new on today and its back in the 40s but i guess its probably been a good year or so since i last did it.

Have any of you guys switched back to normal TIM to save the hassel of delidding and replacing the CPL when it goes bad? Im tempted to do so as i guess normal TIM still lasts for years without needing changing since my laptop has been going fine since 2010 at 70+ degrees.

Associate
Interested to hear about this as well, did my first CPU delid some months ago, but with Kryonaut instead, and was wondering if I will actually need to replace it at all.

Soldato
OP
I thought this might be the answer, i found the temps normally started to go up after i had traveled with the PC, i think the car journeys shake the DIE loose from the IHS and because liquid pro sets hard it cant settle back in like it does with normal compound. I guess ill just have to switch to normal thermal compound and take a small hit on the temp.

Has anyone ever tried comparing liquid pro to normal TIM to see what the difference in temp is with a delidded chip? Im getting 40s gaming and 50s in real bench, im guessing i would only gain 10 or so degrees so it wouldnt really effect my overclock. I've used liquid metal for so long now i cant remember what temps i used to get before i switched to it.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I still have my delidded 4770k and I've never had to redo it.

Good luck cleaning the die and heatspreader after you've used clu!

Man of Honour
Yes, it's what I did on my 4670k and my 4790k. I used black silicone gasket sealant to stick it back on. With the 4670k I used the pressure from the waterblock being clamped down hard to maintain contact and with the 4790k I borrowed a delid tool which came with a relidding attachment.

Soldato
OP
Yeah i stuck it back down and clamped it the last two times i did it, made no difference though except for it been much harder to get off again. It just doesnt seem to travel well, i always move it around in the back of the van which probably doesnt help, maybe if it was up on a seat in a car it would soak up a few of the bumps and stop it vibrating loose. I used to stick my old PC on the car seat with the seat belt on but i dont normally have space for that anymore :)

Anyway no worries, you all confirmed my thoughts so i'll just switch over to normal compound next time it starts to get hot. Cheers for the info.

Back
Top Bottom