Corsair 850 RMi RMA experience report

Associate
Dunno, with all that mistrust and questionnaire on the phone, I may just dump the PSU and buy a new one.

Ever since I changed the motherboard to MSI 370X with Ryzen 1800X, after a month or so, it started to random turn off and reboot. The PSU is from April 2016 and was running fine.

I then replaced the motherboard with the Asus Crosshair Hero VI and still the random reboots.

Finally I took out the 850 and put my old 650 back in, all the same cables except for the main power cable to the motherboard which has 2 pins less on the 650, I think. The PC is running for a week on and off, no random power loss (after work for a few hours and on weekends sometimes longer).

Is is worth returning the PSU or are they meant to last for about a year only? I was told to gather all the cables, they cannot be mixed! After a year, three motherboardslater , second or third power supply?

It will be actual work pulling all the PCI-E cables etc. Do they really need all the original cables after 1.5 years?

Man of Honour
The RMi 850w has a 10 year warranty so no it's not only supposed to last a year. DO NOT mix the power cables from one psu to another unless the psu's are identical. Different psu's can be made by different OEM's/have different pin out's/be a completely different platform. Use the cables that the psu came with. You can cause a lot of damage by using the incorrect cables which vary from dead psu's to blowing up GPU's and/or motherboards/cpu's. RMA it and use the correct cables when it comes back.

Associate
OP
OK, I thought these were universal.

I have three sets of power cables:
1. green ones with cloth coating
2. one set with black coating
3. one plain without coating

The one without coating has the large main power cable that fits into the 850 RMi, so the other PCI-E cables etc. without coating must belong to it.

I'll see on the weekend if I separate them.

Associate
OP
The 650 is just RM.
I now ordered this one: Corsair RM Series RMi 1000 '80+ Gold' 1000W Modular Power Supply

And once I get it tomorrow, I'll use all its cables. At least the ones that go into the PSU, because I am not willing to rip apart simple power splitter etc. for some of the case fans.

Associate
OP
Some update on the mysteries of power supplies. I kept the 850 on a shelf in my cupboard.

For about a month the 1000 started to make a noise like a spark was going somewhere every time I turned it on. Nothing much moved or anything. Then one morning bang, the fuse blew and the PSU was dead... I tried to do the fan check, nothing.
Then I picked up the 850 again and did a fan check, it worked just normal.

I connected the 850 and it works just fine...

In the future I may not buy Corsair PSU any more.

p.s. as an excuse for the 850, there was a faulty 4Pin cable to my old GPU 390X, which are now all new with new GPU etc.

Back
Top Bottom