SNES Mini Classic

Caporegime
that sort of loops back to the original point of there not actually being an issue then, if you're not going to be tempted to use it then it doesn't affect you, it is a useful feature for others

I thought I'd misunderstood your point and that you were trying to say that you'd be tempted to use it despite not wanting to and so it would be a bad thing for you but apparently not.

Associate
The old games always had ways to cheat, either built in code or with something like a game genie. Also many games of this generation were still in the arcade mindset, where killing the player means you get more money. I think that the sort of person who would use a "cheat" to get past a tough part, are just as likely to put the game down and not play again if they get stuck. I don't see this sort of thing as an issue. Now if they charged you 20p to use the cheat, and then made the levels near impossible without it, like many mobile games do, that would be an issue. This is just allowing people of different levels to enjoy the game.

Associate
As mentioned, I feel it changes the games intended difficulty. I've no idea how the save states work to be honest. Providing they save for the start of a level for example I don't see it as an issue.

I don't see how this is any different than save scumming in PC games. First thing that came to mind was traversing the sand in Half Life 2 to avoid the Ant Lions using quick save and quick load to avoid error. The save states on the Snes Classic function almost the same. The rewind is just an added benefit -

Like on NES Classic, each game has four Suspend Point slots. Press the Reset button on the console, and you’ll jump back to the menu and can save your place in any game, at any time. But now, when you load up a saved game, you have the option of loading it with Rewind mode on. Instead of jumping right to where you saved, you’ll jump in a few minutes beforehand, and you’ll be able to scrub back and forth within that window and pick out the precise place that you want to rejoin the game.

Soldato
that sort of loops back to the original point of there not actually being an issue then, if you're not going to be tempted to use it then it doesn't affect you, it is a useful feature for others
It's probably a good feature for games like Battletoads and I'd certainly agree that it may give players access to later stages of a game that they might otherwise not have seen.

For games like Mario World though, falling of a platform and doing a quick rewind takes away all the achievement of completing a tough level. Like I said, different strokes.

Soldato
My issue is that when presented with an option to cheat, players will use it. It's just a personal preference, nothing more.

As a gamer who was in the arcades back in the early 80s i think you are over playing it. Many games had restart points , this is no different. When you died you were playing the same pre-determined sequence. This is no different. At the end of the day you still got do it.

Soldato
As a gamer who was in the arcades back in the early 80s i think you are over playing it. Many games had restart points , this is no different. When you died you were playing the same pre-determined sequence. This is no different. At the end of the day you still got do it.
An intentional save/restart point is different to a rewind feature though. Dying on a boss and rewinding 20 secs isn't the same as a mid level save point.

Man of Honour
I'm the type of person that will use the rewind feature but I wish it wasn't available to me. I'll use it as I'm lazy and have no will power when a cheat is offered to me. Now I'll probably miss out on the satisfaction of completing Star Wing 2 the way it was intended because I'm a dirty cheater.

Caporegime
lol, fair enough, you're being honest about it, I can kind of see it being a 'bad' thing from that perspective, though it is kind of your own fault! :)

(I guess as another poster mentioned the fact it isn't readily available as a function of the controller perhaps might give people pause to think and not just instantly hit it if they're trying to avoid doing so)

Caporegime
I don't think it is specific to any game but is a general feature of the console/emulator (emulators simply can be paused/saved at any part of the game usually). I'd suspect that being on a boss section makes no difference at all to the functionality.

Soldato
That's the impression I get. Save points are fine if they're mid level or start of level. Rewind just seems like a bad idea to me but hey. I'll reserve judgement until I see it.

May even sell mine as have a raspberry pi all set up now.

Caporegime
well if you whack it in members market I'd certainly be interested (have got one on pre-order and now kicking myself for not ordering a second as it would make a great xmas present for a sibling)

Caporegime
Not sure there will be (m)any on there... I don't think you can make a profit on the MM/profiteer, so people will just eBay them.

Sadly that is likely true. I was hoping that we'd perhaps have some members who didn't feel the need to stoop to Del Boy esq pursuits.

Associate
this is what I like in a youtube video, proper ranting and telling companies off.

It's kind of his thing....not that it'll make any difference. There's absolutely no reason that the SNES Classic had to end up like this, and with a sensible pre-order system everyone would have been happy (except scalpers)...Nintendo makes wads of cash and doesn't end up with a huge surplus of stock and consumers pay RRP.

Back
Top Bottom