First gaming pc

Soldato
Sorry to butt in but do you mind if I enquire why you're buying an additional CPU cooler and not using the Wraith Spire one that's included with the 1600? (reception for that one seems positive so it's not immediately obvious).
The 1600'X' doesn't come with a stock cooler - only the 1600.

Soldato
Is the 1600 good enough for my needs? Or should I go with the 1600x?
The X CPUs are better binned so 'almost' guaranteed better clocks - but pound for pound the 1600 is great value as it comes with great Stock cooler.

You would hit 3.7GHz across all cores with the stock Wraith on the 1600 putting it on a par with the 1600X at stock...

Your choice - if you're not clocking then the 1600X gives you the extra speed at default but costs ~£50 more overall...

*I should add that clocking the 1600 to 3.7GHz is a very simple process once you've established the build is stable.

Last edited:
Soldato
What's the best way to get wireless internet? PCI e wireless or is a wireless USB adapter any good!?
Depends - and debatable - where is your PC located?

(I personally prefer cards - but if you have your PC tucked away this can sometimes cause issues - they both have their pro's and cons.)

Soldato
It will be in the next room to where the wireless hub is located. Not in a small space etc
Have you considered hard wiring it - if it's upstairs via the ceiling or through wall?

If the computer isn't tucked away then i, personally, would lean towards a card something like these depending on budget:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Associate
OP
Hard wiring isn't possible unfortunately. That's what I'd have liked to do though.

Ok thanks, I'll try one of the above:)

Associate
OP
@Quartz

The mrs definitely won't be happy with a wire round edge of room and through a doorway haha:D

I'll see if they can price match.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey@Plec, are these ram similar? Gonna go for the 3200mhz after all.
Yes and no.

Although they're both rated 3200MHz - the Geil Evo set are AM4 approved which means they are guaranteed to run at 3200MHz in an AM4 motherboard - i.e. Ryzen approved/rated.

The Team Group should run at 3000MHz (2933MHz) but it will be lottery if they hit 3200MHz - but even if they didn't hit 3200MHz now they may in the future with future BIOS releases.

Associate
OP
Ah ok thanks. Probably best to go with the Geil Evo's then.

I'm ordering everything tonight.

Would you mind if I PM'd you when everything gets here and I start building if I run into any trouble!? I'm sure I'm gonna hit a few snags

Soldato
Would you mind if I PM'd you when everything gets here and I start building if I run into any trouble!? I'm sure I'm gonna hit a few snags
Sure - the @Plec does the job when I'm working. I get alerted on one of my screens. I'll look out for you. Thursday build about what time?

What's your total spec/order?

Associate
OP
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £751.64
(includes shipping: £13.20)

plus the GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 G1 GAMING 8gd.

Look all good before I purchase?

My gpu and Windows 10 USB should be with me by Friday.

AG271QG Monitor arrived today:D

Sure - the @Plec does the job when I'm working. I get alerted on one of my screens. I'll look out for you. Thursday build about what time?

Thanks man

Soldato
That's a powerful, quality build coupled with a great monitor.

Make sure you have a USB pen drive on hand ready for the build (16gb or under). We'll need it for flashing the BIOS almost immediately.

Associate
OP
Hey @Plec

Everything is here:D (I think:rolleyes:)

I'll probabaly start the build over the weekend. What do I have to put on to the USB to flash the bios? I'll put it on there so I'm ready to go.

Cheers man

Back
Top Bottom