G-Sync needed on a high refresh rate monitor?

Soldato
Just wondering what people's experiences out there on this topic are.

I currently have a Predator XB270HU which is 144hz + g-sync.

Yesterday out of curiosity I gamed most of the evening with g-sync OFF and I have to say I noticed almost no difference at all. Now I'm not hating on g-sync far from it, previous to this I had a Predator XB271HK which was 4k + g-sync but only 60hz and the g-sync on/off difference was night and day.

Understandably on the 4k screen I was gaming at somewhere between 55-70fps and on the current 1440p setup my games can run anywhere between 110-150ish fps so I'm assuming that must make at least some difference?

The bottom line is if I want to change monitor in the future do I need to shackle myself to a g-sync monitor or could I liberate my wallet and go a freesync/non freesync such the new Samsung VA QD monitors so long as they are 144+hz?

Man of Honour
If you are holding high framerates on a high refresh screen the impact of G-Sync is reduced but I still notice it personally for instance on Battlefield 4 on big maps if I come around a corner in a vehicle and try to quickly pan across a base area to find enemy without G-Sync I either get a massive rippling tear across the screen at that moment with V-Sync off which is a bit distracting or with V-Sync on get noticeable input latency - though the latency is much reduced at 120+Hz its still not ideal in fast paced games online - though I'd be fairly comfortable playing single player games, etc. at 120+Hz with V-Sync.

Those times where you are around 55-70fps is where G-Sync really comes into its own especially as it lets you turn quality settings up to levels which would have been unplayable before due to the unacceptable trade offs with tearing or lag.

Soldato
I'm wondering the same. I've got a NVidia 1080 but I'm sorely tempted by the new Samsung 49 inch screen and wondering what the trade off will be like. Obviously I'm gonna be waiting for the reviews, but it's got me thinking.

Associate
If anything its more needed on high refresh monitors as g sync is used when you are not at the cap, which you are more likely to be on a higher refresh screen.

Associate
It may also depend on how sensitive you are to tearing and juddering.
Now I have just changed my rx480 for a 1080ti and I am really missing freesync so I have ordered a g sync monitor. Other gamers in my house are not bothered by the judder that I can easily see.

Back
Top Bottom