Cloud backup service suggestions?

Associate
I've received an email from my current cloud backup service "CrashPlan" who have basically said they're focusing more on business/enterprise rather than home users. So I have until Feb 2018 to find a new cloud backup service.

There are so many cloud backup services out there it's hard to choose one. I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I'd ideally want something exactly the same as CrashPlan.

What I liked about CrashPlan:

1. Very cheap - £47 per year/£3.90 per month
2. Unlimited storage (even though I currently have 320GB of data backed up with them)
3. Unlimited versions of every file (very handy, I see other companies offer between 6-99)
4. Unlimited version retention (they keep every file, every version, forever)

I don't mind paying up to £10 per month if I can get similiar features like the above and they're a reliable service.

Cheers guys.

Associate
Same here. Never expected that really from them.

If your up for paying £10, then move over to there small business plan, all explained in the email. Your account will move over and you will be billed $10 per month, once your subscription runs out on Home plan. Easy and sorted. If not then you will have to look around.

But I might go back with backblaze, if they let me exclude drives. I have installed there app again and for some reason its not the same. I exclude a drive it just shows up ":/" no drive number or anything. All I want to do is pick the folders I want, not back up most of C drive FFS. That's why I left them because of there silly no options app.

I have been looking around today and might really go with cloudberrylab or arqbackup and set up and Amazon S3 or something. Not for no techie person I guess, but once done, then it's done and cheap.

Some information on other suppliers:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-online-backup-service/

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-cloud-backup,review-2678.html

http://uk.pcmag.com/backup-products-1/8648/guide/the-best-online-backup-services-of-2017

Hope it helps.

Associate
OP
I did think of that but wondered if there was another cloud service out there that's just as good.

Backblaze has been recommended a lot on various websites, it looks pretty decent. Might have another look at it.

Haha I read those sites earlier today and just realised they've edited them with the CrashPlan update.

Tom's guide - UPDATED Aug. 22, 2017 with news that CrashPlan is leaving the consumer market. We now recommend Backblaze as our Editor's Choice.

The Wire Cutter - CrashPlan is discontinuing its home product, so we can no longer recommend it. Backblaze will be our new top pick. In fact, due to a recent update, Backblaze is now faster and has improved options for restoring files, so we feel confident recommending it for most people. If you already use CrashPlan Home, the company will extend subscriptions by 60 days (at no cost to you) in order for you to transition to a new backup system and will fully end its home product on October 22, 2018. For more on the the consequences of CrashPlan's decisions, our expert Joe Kissel lays out his thoughts here. We’re working to update this piece with the full details of currently available online backup services.

I guess it's between CrashPlan small business plan or Backblaze lol

So they are saying I can switch to CrashPlan small business plan for the remainder of my subscription, then I get 75% off the 12 month subscription (so it would cost £1.95 per month) then it goes up to £7.80 per month after that.

I guess in the grand scheme of things paying £7.80 for the best cloud service to have all my files backed up securely without worry is a small price to pay to be honest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom