Opinions on pre built system

Associate
Hi all

Recently realised the prebuilt system I brought from
Ocuk is nearly 7 yrs old so started looking for somthing new

Like the look of this one

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...700k-4.7ghz-geforce-gtx-1080ti-fs-1b8-og.html

I'm too lazy and don't have time to build myself. System is for gaming only and ideally will have longevity ( only changes I have made to current system in 7 yrs are Gpu and some ssds)

Any obvious issues with this system also how easy would it be for me to get an extra 16gb of ram put in by ocuk?

Any advice appreciated

Associate
That's a great gaming machine. Couple of pointers-

1) You DO NOT need 32GB of RAM for gaming. You barely need 16. 8 is enough honestly. If you want 32GB wait until RAM prices settle as they are at 200% what they should be right now. RAM and GPU prices are both inflated right now

Insttalling RAM yourself is not difficult at all and the whole process takes maybe 2 minutes.

2) If you're after future proofing (ie not upgrading again for six or seven years) I would urge you to wait until September and get an 8700K based machine, which will be a 6 core i7 for current 4 core i7 prices (+maybe 30 squids)

Intel is still best for gaming right now.

Associate
OP
Thanks useful pointers!

I have built my own systems in full in the past but I was single and had ample time and space back then :)

As you say ram is a super easy install so if 16gb is still plenty then no need for me to worry yet.

Sept is probably the wise option but now I have the upgrade bug the cash is burning a hole in my pocket :)

Thanks again

Soldato
What Monitor are you going to be using ?

Also consider Ryzen if you want better value for money. Whilst Intel might be slightly faster, you are still going to get a very good gaming experience with AMD Ryzen.

Associate
That's a great gaming machine. Couple of pointers-

1) You DO NOT need 32GB of RAM for gaming. You barely need 16. 8 is enough honestly. If you want 32GB wait until RAM prices settle as they are at 200% what they should be right now. RAM and GPU prices are both inflated right now

Insttalling RAM yourself is not difficult at all and the whole process takes maybe 2 minutes.

2) If you're after future proofing (ie not upgrading again for six or seven years) I would urge you to wait until September and get an 8700K based machine, which will be a 6 core i7 for current 4 core i7 prices (+maybe 30 squids)

Intel is still best for gaming right now.

Sorry to jump in on this thread but I'm waiting...it's really hard not to cave and jump in on a deal though...

Pricing on ocuk pre-built systems is weird, why are z170 and x99 starter build/configurator pc's more expensive than the z270 ones...i'm confused.

I've got a £2k budget waiting for the ultimate VR big daddy build with a 1080ti...my current xeon processor still benches well, but my 12gb 1600MHz ram could surely be improved...so many options.

Back
Top Bottom