Dashcams!

Associate
Ok mini review on the Thinkware F770 after a couple of weeks with absolutely no issue. It replaced a Garmin Dash Cam 55 that failed completely for the second time so like the first one it went back.

The camera..

LR5C1cu.jpg

Fitted..

Q87BbGB.jpg

From front of car..

2H6GQHj.jpg

Really pleased with it, just a fit and forget camera that is watching the road all the time. For security if the camera senses a collision it will save to the Micro SD card and built in internal memory on the camera so if the card gets damages you sill have footage.

Fitting was easy-ish once you get it in the correct position, it uses a large 3M pad that you use an App on your smart phone to line it up using a live view from the camera. All the set up is also done using the App. Just needs firmware updating and the newest camera data base putting on the MicroSD card ond you are good to go.

The lane departure and front vehicle departure warnings were turned off but the speed camera and red light warnings are active and so far have been very accurate. Plus point is it is a voice telling you and not a continuous annoying beep going off every few seconds.

If you hard wire the camera you have the option of Parking mode. It has two settings (in addition to it recording if it senses a bump) , motion sensing and time lapse (1picture every second) and I use the latter as it is supposed to save space on the card. No worries about flattening the battery either as you can set the camera to turn off after 12/24/48 hours or if it senses the voltage drops below a certain voltage.

Not got the rear camera as I am using my old front FineVu CR500HD so when/if that fails the rear can be purchased separately.

Soldato
Is it just me or aren't these things just a theft magnet? I get that they can be very useful for evidence in case of an accident but surely, if you fit a half-decent one, it's just asking for someone to put your window in and pinch it, just as we used to have with satnav devices before everyone started using OEM or their phones. Presumably some can be detached and chucked in a glovebox but the mount/cabling left behind would still be on show and most thieves would still take a punt on it being in the glovebox.

Or am I wrong?

Soldato
Is it just me or aren't these things just a theft magnet? I get that they can be very useful for evidence in case of an accident but surely, if you fit a half-decent one, it's just asking for someone to put your window in and pinch it, just as we used to have with satnav devices before everyone started using OEM or their phones. Presumably some can be detached and chucked in a glovebox but the mount/cabling left behind would still be on show and most thieves would still take a punt on it being in the glovebox.

Or am I wrong?

Depends on the Scrotes in your area !

Some moron smashed the passenger side window of my daughters car (which cost her £300 to fix) just to nick a £40 dashcam.
The pillock even left the power lead and back cam.
PmAYGcCl.jpg

Soldato

Some moron smashed the passenger side window of my daughters car (which cost her £300 to fix) just to nick a £40 dashcam.

scum ..

tho Intelligence is not an attribute for idiots like that

Twice I've had cars broken in to and windows smashed on my drive both times the car was unlocked ...luckily not in years

On the that note

I cannot under stand the F800 been silver !!!! its advertising its self to the "scrotes"

Soldato
So I managed to bag the Ddpai mini2 for £62 off gearbest and I've just been stung with £23 import charges :(. It's been a long time since I've had a charge so guess I can't complain too much!

Soldato

PmAYGcCl.jpg

Surely it would have only cost the £90 glass excess on her insurance? Most dashcams are pretty discreet and no where near as obvious to an opportunist as a satnav stuck to the windscreen.

Soldato
Surely it would have only cost the £90 glass excess on her insurance? Most dashcams are pretty discreet and no where near as obvious to an opportunist as a satnav stuck to the windscreen.

From what I've read on my own policies, the glass cover only covers front and rear windscreens.

Door window replacements can be very time consuming depending on the car.

Soldato
My daughter is a new driver. ANY sniff of a claim for anything regardless puts her next premium at risk. (Due December)
In my experience it doesn't matter what they tell you (re: windshield covered) they use any excuse to ream you, especially the young.

With her black box installed she's on to make a healthy saving...

GcKck0z.jpg

Soldato
Looking to get a dashcam for up to £100ish, any suggestions?

Is a £100 one worth it over a ~£50 one? What sort of extras does the difference in price get?

Soldato
These days (or nights) the picture quality is up to a pretty good standard on them all. The difference is the cheap ones don't display GPS or Speed.
That's about it really !

If I can find some footage of my daughters dashcam (before she got it nicked) and compare it to mine you'll see what I mean. (Hers cost about £40, mine cost £330

Man of Honour
I was following a Peugeot home yesterday around roads close to my house and noticed on the back he had a sticker telling me he had a camera in his car. Fair enough I thought if that's his thing but he was going slower and slower getting down to around 30mph on a road with a 60 limit. So we come around a right hand bend onto a long straight bit and I indicate, pull out and go around. I was not going quickly, maybe 50mph as I got alongside and he decides to cross the white line and shut the door on me. I get past and his lights flash, he waves the international sign of the ****** out the window and I am bemused.

I was drinking a costa, I was not close to him before overtaking, I was not going quickly at all yet this mercenary obviously has an agenda. He was the sort of person you might imagined on a quick glance. Think greasy fat bloke living with his mum, needs a wash, good eyes to see through he thickness of glasses he is waring but these are the sort of people who also use cameras. If he posted up his video it would be fascinating as you would see him dangerous driving but he won't of course. People, I really don't like them near me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I presume that should have read "not drinking a Costa" :)

Assuming you were in the R8, just another sad, envious loser who hates you because you're successful but tries to disguise it by branding people as 'racers' or 'maniacs' just because they dare to overtake, even when he's clearly precipitated it.

Man of Honour
He did strike me as a tow sar, he had that look you would associate with one if that makes sense. Odd that you feel you can catch out people on your camera by driving them off the road should they dare to come around you. I blasted my horn and I suspect that shook him perhaps, maybe he was too busy watching me come past he lost his bearings to which my horn made him poo himself without appropriate letter box?

Nearly dropped my phone into my Costa too. ;)

Soldato
I was following a Peugeot home yesterday around roads close to my house and noticed on the back he had a sticker telling me he had a camera in his car. Fair enough I thought if that's his thing but he was going slower and slower getting down to around 30mph on a road with a 60 limit. So we come around a right hand bend onto a long straight bit and I indicate, pull out and go around. I was not going quickly, maybe 50mph as I got alongside and he decides to cross the white line and shut the door on me. I get past and his lights flash, he waves the international sign of the ****** out the window and I am bemused.

I was drinking a costa, I was not close to him before overtaking, I was not going quickly at all yet this mercenary obviously has an agenda. He was the sort of person you might imagined on a quick glance. Think greasy fat bloke living with his mum, needs a wash, good eyes to see through he thickness of glasses he is waring but these are the sort of people who also use cameras. If he posted up his video it would be fascinating as you would see him dangerous driving but he won't of course. People, I really don't like them near me.
You need your own cam and you tube channel, you could *have* put him on there :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate

If you look at the latest dashcam compilation videos it's all the same. People will speed up closing the gap, blocking overtakes, refusing to let people merge, speeding up at roundabouts when people are pulling out etc just to get a clip on YouTube. It would be nice to see some action taken against some of them.

Back
Top Bottom