The end of Crashplan for home users

Soldato
Just opened an email from code42 telling me that they are bailing on the home user, ether go with the business version or migrate to carbonite.

https://www.crashplan.com/en-us/consumer/nextsteps/

I use crashplan at home and work so fall in both camps, the program works well and has proved its worth at work on more than one occasion so I will probably migrate that to the new version but I'm not sure about Carbonite.

What are people doing? They have given us plenty of time to choose but I know nothing about Carbonite atm, after a quick read though it looks like its a single computer solution so not really much good for me and a laptop unless i buy two licences at $30 each (with the "generous" discount)

/edit Both version seem really too expensive. $10 per pc per month on business with no peer to peer backups. :( Carbonite core at $269 per year for 250gb unlimited computers might work though, not sure if there is a better discount for migrating users

Last edited:
Soldato
My family make quite extensive use of the back up to a friend feature for offsite backups.

We’ve got a while to find something else, would be interested in any free or cheapish solutions that have a similar backup to friend option.

Soldato
It appears that a number of providers that served the home have been pulling their 'unlimited' storage options at cheap prices; Amazon Cloud, oneDrive, Crashplan etc... the others that have remained appear to have 1-2TB limits. I'll probably look to the small business crashplan version as for the price I get certainty around version control should something happen to my storage array!

Associate
I'm using Backblaze and can't fault it so far save for one niggle which is it backs up your main drive, which I have no need for, but other than that I can't complain and it's only $5 USD a month for unlimited backups.

Stoner81.

Soldato
I'm in the same boat and not sure what I'm going to do. I think I'm going to drop off-site backups completely. I backup locally and the only files I really care about losing, my photos, are already backed up elsewhere.

Soldato
I've been using Arq for my cloud backups for many years.

It supports many different cloud services. I was backing up to AWS but recently switched to Google. All data is encrypted on your computer before uploading to the cloud.

Soldato
my wife is going to put it through as a business expense when I have to swap over at the end of next year. Been with crashplan from 5+years I think

Associate
Looked briefly into Carbonite as that's what Crashplan are plugging as an alternative - wasn't impressed.

Think I'm going to go with Google Drive's backup option unless I can find a better alternative.

Associate
Posted about this before in general: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/cloud-backup-service-suggestions.18790636/

I have been looking around today and might really go with cloudberrylab or arqbackup and set up and Amazon S3 or something. Not for no techie person I guess, but once done, then it's done and cheap.

Some information on other suppliers:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-online-backup-service/
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-cloud-backup,review-2678.html
http://uk.pcmag.com/backup-products-1/8648/guide/the-best-online-backup-services-of-2017

Hope it helps.

So far I have had a play with S3, but worried about price with 500GB data to store. But I do think cloudberry is the way to go for me. No lock in then.

I've been using Arq for my cloud backups for many years.

It supports many different cloud services. I was backing up to AWS but recently switched to Google. All data is encrypted on your computer before uploading to the cloud.

Shine, Can I ask how much data you stored and price per month? Amazons s3 calculator is a bit all over the place for me. It's coming out at $12 pm for 500GB. Hows google?

Soldato
Shine, Can I ask how much data you stored and price per month? Amazons s3 calculator is a bit all over the place for me. It's coming out at $12 pm for 500GB. Hows google?

I was paying about £2 - £3 per month, I had about 150G stored in AWS. Arq is configured to take a delta backup every hour. I can't remember the exact amount as I switched to using Google Nearline, which is free at the moment as I managed to get £300 in free credits.

Associate
I was paying about £2 - £3 per month, I had about 150G stored in AWS. Arq is configured to take a delta backup every hour. I can't remember the exact amount as I switched to using Google Nearline, which is free at the moment as I managed to get £300 in free credits.

Ok thanks for that info, was that on S3 or glacier?

Still playing around with all at the moment. Backblaze is good too, used them before. Just hate the whole excluding folders and files, don't want half my C drive to be uploaded! and it was slow! But there is Backblaze B2, which seem cheap, if you get Arq or cloudberry.

hhhmmmm going to think it all over the weekend.

Soldato
Ok thanks for that info, was that on S3 or glacier?

Still playing around with all at the moment. Backblaze is good too, used them before. Just hate the whole excluding folders and files, don't want half my C drive to be uploaded! and it was slow! But there is Backblaze B2, which seem cheap, if you get Arq or cloudberry.

hhhmmmm going to think it all over the weekend.

I was backing up to Glacier.

Soldato
For those with fairly modest amounts of data it might be worth considering an Office 365 subscription as that gives 1TB of cloud storage. Might not work out much different in price but with the added bonus of having Office on 5 PC's with the Office 365 Home edition.

Soldato
I've bit the bullet and swapped to CrashplanPRO. Get it for free for the rest of my Home sub which should see me up until March next year and then 75% off for a year. Unfortunately I've had to start my 12TB backup from scratch :(

Associate
I've bit the bullet and swapped to CrashplanPRO. Get it for free for the rest of my Home sub which should see me up until March next year and then 75% off for a year. Unfortunately I've had to start my 12TB backup from scratch :(

I thought they automatically transfer all your data over?

Back
Top Bottom