*** Sky Q Thread ***

Man of Honour
Would that be this?

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream

Connection Speed 64992 kbps 20000 kbps

Line Attenuation 16.9 dB 0.0 dB

Noise Margin 6.4 dB 6.6 dB

Yes that's it, if you sync at that and can't get that with a speedtest then try a different computer and cable.

Caporegime
What sort of deal should I be expecting for Sky Q, I've been with them for 18 years and had 3 full package HD boxes but was quoted £90 a month which is £35 more than I pay now..... is that the going rate?
If you've been with Sky, uninterrupted for that long you should be eligible for free sky Q 2tb and a mini and free install. Can't comment on monthly pricing though without seeing your account.

Soldato
Yes that's it, if you sync at that and can't get that with a speedtest then try a different computer and cable.

Wow...

Well, this is a newish build 3 floor town house bur far from big, walls are all plasterboard, I haven't found a brick yet.

Router is on the middle floor, wired into (I was wrong) a 500mb powerline socket.

Here's the range of results...

Wired PC (via powerline) 21mb
Laptop downstairs but not underneath router under 20mb
Laptop on wifi literally 6 inches from the router 45mb
Phone wifi next to router 40-45mb
Laptop on wifi approx 2 meters from router with only the arm of a sofa in the way 30-35mb
Wired laptop to router 55mb

That seems really temperamental to me? In the old house I was using a BT Homehub and I got a stable wifi speed all over what was probably a bigger house in square footage terms?

I'm annoyed that the Sky Q mesh network (I have 2 mini boxes) seems to be doing nothing.. can't remember how well that was configured though to be fair. However I do have a load of smartthings/hue/nest products around now, clearly they're not slowing things down given the wired results but could they be interfering?

Is it normal to lose 20% by not being on top of the router?

Also.. on the wired powerline.. is that level of loss normal? Would getting gigabit ones help resolve that?

I'm actually both pleased I'm getting what we paid for and frustrated this seems like a fiddly complicated fix.

Man of Honour
I couldn't possibly comment on wireless performance of the Sky Q system especially when combined with powerlines. Powerlines IME are very hit and miss and you should always try and run cables where possible.

Associate
Hi all, new house on Friday (woop woop) and forging plans for Sky etc.

What's best deal likely to be available available for 2TB Sky Q with one mini-box for new customer? Movies I could live without.

Also, any particular BB/Fibre providers seem to be working better with the Sky Q setup?

Cheers.

Man of Honour
MissChief can sort out a new customer deal for you.

Any decent FTTC provider will work without issue but unless you use Sky you won't get the wireless mesh.

TFC

TFC

Associate
I had Q and Fibre Max since 29th June, 2tb and 2 minis, it is working faultlessly and the wifi hot spots give superb coverage throughout the house and garden.

Soldato
Wow...

Well, this is a newish build 3 floor town house bur far from big, walls are all plasterboard, I haven't found a brick yet.

Router is on the middle floor, wired into (I was wrong) a 500mb powerline socket.

Laptop on wifi approx 2 meters from router with only the arm of a sofa in the way 30-35mb

That seems really temperamental to me? In the old house I was using a BT Homehub and I got a stable wifi speed all over what was probably a bigger house in square footage terms?

I'm annoyed that the Sky Q mesh network (I have 2 mini boxes) seems to be doing nothing.. can't remember how well that was configured though to be fair. However I do have a load of smartthings/hue/nest products around now, clearly they're not slowing things down given the wired results but could they be interfering?

Is it normal to lose 20% by not being on top of the router?

Also.. on the wired powerline.. is that level of loss normal? Would getting gigabit ones help resolve that?

I'm actually both pleased I'm getting what we paid for and frustrated this seems like a fiddly complicated fix.

I get similar results, at first moving from a single access point to a mesh and seeing a "drop" in performance had me trying to work out where the issue was but after further investigation the mesh seemed to be balancing the network for multiple users at all times and therefore would never offer the full throughput even when only a single physical user was on the network (remember the mesh sees the minibox and main hub as constant users) the wireless connection speed seems to be purely based on the fiber connection rather than link speed if you have 80mb you will not see that on a mesh network as a single user.

I also have wired powerline adapters on the system and tbh see a similar performance to your results.

I had Q and Fibre Max since 29th June, 2tb and 2 minis, it is working faultlessly and the wifi hot spots give superb coverage throughout the house and garden.

Yes, it does work faultlessly for coverage and massively improved the connection quality.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I prefer the remote with the buttons. I've had to switch to the touch remote as I use the voice thingy a lot, although I'm getting used to the touch remote, it's still incredibly sensitive and not as good as the button one.

Caporegime
Question - Do sky give you a 7 day cooldown/cancellation if you 'upgrade' your package

It seems ludicrous that they only let you do a 1 day or 1 month sky sports pass on NowTV (720p) when you have a perfectly good Sky Q box that can do UHD....

Soldato
Question - Do sky give you a 7 day cooldown/cancellation if you 'upgrade' your package

It seems ludicrous that they only let you do a 1 day or 1 month sky sports pass on NowTV (720p) when you have a perfectly good Sky Q box that can do UHD....

Sky have one of the best business models going. Very much doubt this will never happen.

Soldato

Do you have multiple powerlines the sky one used by minis plus your own ? I thought that was not recommended, they will compete for bandwidth.

Does the laptop have wifi card with multiple antenna MIMO so could receive on 2.4ghz/5ghz simultaenously.

Do you know anything about traffic levels in your new neighborhood ? (try at different times of day) - are the neighbours the problem ?

Back
Top Bottom