Ryzen Upgrade Spec Check

Soldato
Hi All,

Just needed a sanity check really, and to ask for some info on RAM/Mobo choices.

I've decided it's finally time to retire my i5-2500k setup and get something a little future proofed to last me hopefully another 5-6 years. I'm thinking Ryzen is my best bet. I've decided a Ryzen 5 1600X would be ideal for me.

Motherboard wise, I'm not sure if X370 would be more future proofed than a B350 - I've been looking at either the MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon or the Strix B350 boards, though I don't know if the extra for a X370 would be a wise choice for the future. What do you guys think?

RAM wise, I've been told to get 3200 RAM for Ryzen. I was looking at some with LED's but none of them seem to be feature on the board QVL lists. Does a Ryzen compatible 3200 LED kit exist? I'm ideally after 16GB so will need to be 2x8GB.

And finally, a cooler. I'd like my system to be quiet so I don't know if AIO would do the trick - I'd previously had a H105 and a Coolermaster Seidon 240 on my 2500k and they both seemed louder than my existing air cooler. I'm leaning towards something like the Cryorig H5. Would this be a good choice?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Soldato
Unless you're considering SLI/Crossfire there's no real reason to get the x370 unless you need the extra outputs. The B350s clock just as well on average and have some good looking quality boards out now.

The Strix B350 being the latest release and is a quality board - but i type this while wincing at ASUS aftercare service...

I'm don't think there's any AM4 blingy approved memory yet - but 8 Pack has sleek looking Team Group set and GeIL have released a set that compliment the Gigabyte Gaming 3 board by fluke. But you could buy a 3200MHz RGB kit and hope/expect that a future AGESA/BIOS update will get it to full speed in the future. You should certainly hit 3000MHZ (2933MHZ) - even if you can't get the 3200MHz - not guaranteed of course.

If you're after silence - a quality air cooler would be the better solution than an AIO (personally) and offer similar performance - with minimum maintenance, less points of failure, quieter and for less money on average. The H5 is great cooler...

Some ideas around the B350s with your choice of H5 cooler:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £581.42
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Total: £531.97
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Or a brooding black look:

Total: £582.02
(includes shipping: £11.10)

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure that tall Ram will fit under those coolers ? (Haven't checked). The Cryorig H5 Universal might be a better option, as it has 100% Ram clearance.

Also don't forget to get an AM4 bracket either from here or the manufacturer.

Soldato
Not sure that tall Ram will fit under those coolers ? (Haven't checked). The Cryorig H5 Universal might be a better option, as it has 100% Ram clearance.
I don't think it will either (140mm fan) - added as example builds for him to look over - but i should have added caveat. TBH - it's a PITA they made the sticks so tall...

Also don't forget to get an AM4 bracket either from here or the manufacturer.
True added the Dark Pro as broody afterthought - not sure if OcUK stock these brackets or not no option in checkout (OP, if you did decide to opt for Dark Pro you would need to contact OcUK directly - that or be quiet for an A4 bracket).

Soldato
EDIT: Actually the H5 may not even be able to accommodate the TEAM Group memory - Clicky

You may want to consider a more accommodating cooler Atari - as the RGB memory tends to be quite tall too.

Soldato
OP
Wow, wasn't expecting many replies! Thank you chaps for helping out :)

Mobo I'm happy with the B350 Strix model, though I had seen the GB Gaming 3 board was well recommended so I guess either of those would be ideal. I'm not going to run SLI/Xfire at all, I just thought perhaps the X370 would be more futureproof. If not then I'll happily save some cash and go B350! I'll probably not be tweaking it that much, but I wanted to get a good board with regular updates from the manufacturer, I'd seen that ASUS boards tended to get things released quickly and working right hence me leaning towards the Strix - if the GB board is as good, I'm happy to get that.

I'm not super bothered about the RGB LED RAM, it looked nice but I'm happy to go with non-blingy RAM modules - the Team Group Dark Pro modules will fit the bill and should allow me to run the RAM at 3200 without too much fuss so I'll definitely be looking to get some of that.

So far, I think with your help I've narrowed it down to:

Ryzen 5 1600X
ROG Strix B350-F Board
Team Group Dark Pro "8 Pack Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz

I just need a cooler now - The Cryorig cooler isn't something I have to have, I saw it mentioned on the forum for another user thinking of going Ryzen 5 so figured it would be good. I think perhaps the Universal version might be better for RAM clearance, is there a lower profile RAM that will run at 3200 out of the box? I don't have much height in my InWin 303 case, I think max height for the cooler is 160mm so anything super big probably won't fit unfortunately.

Thanks again chaps, I really appreciate your help!

Edit: Oh, and I'd like to get some good thermal compound if it's likely to drop the temps over the stuff that'll come with a heatsink. Is there anything worth getting?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks again chaps, I really appreciate your help!

No worries.

The Dark Rock pro looks like it would accommodate the TEAM Group Dark Pro in that the board manual recommends slots A2 and B2 to be used in dual channel which leaves the DIMM slot, A1, closest to the fan free for the fan to sit over. However, if you ever went to 32Gb (unlikely) you would either need to lift the fan up or get 2 x 16Gb.

*Note there are other coolers - i've presumed you have a windowed case so have steered clear of Noctua as not to everyone's taste/colour scheme.

I normally recommend the Gigabyte Gaming 3 - UK RMA/customer service and regular BIOS updates - but if the ROG suits your aesthetics (windowed case?) then it's equally good board and well supported plus newly released. ASUS make great products it's only their CS that makes me hesitate adding them to build specs (basically, don't let my personal bias interfere with your preferred board choice.).

Also the cooler comes with quality paste DC1 - about 2 applications but you could add AS5 or MX 2 etc... if you felt the need.

Possible option: - **remembering you would need to order an AM4 bracket from OcUK (ask Customer services) or direct form be quiet (it would be free):

Total: £600.02

Gigabyte build for comparison - with a tube of AS5 if required:

Total: £590.55

What case would this be going in?

Last edited:
Soldato
EDIT: Actually the H5 may not even be able to accommodate the TEAM Group memory - Clicky

You may want to consider a more accommodating cooler Atari - as the RGB memory tends to be quite tall too.

That shows the H5 Ultimate ? The H5 Universal has an offset design and also a slimmer 13mm fan instead of 25mm.

Unmatched Compatibility with Zero RAM Interference
Focusing on providing the widest range of compatibility, the H5 utilizes an asymmetric slanted heatpipe layout to move the heatsink away from the RAM zone. Also, fitted with a 13mm thin XT140 the CRYORIG H5 offers optimal compatibility for RAM with tall heat spreaders on both Intel and AMD platforms.

Soldato
That shows the H5 Ultimate ? The H5 Universal has an offset design and also a slimmer 13mm fan instead of 25mm
Yes, because I used the ultimate in my build examples (unless I'm still half asleep I was when I posted at 1am) :)

But his case is reasonably accomodating re: cooler height etc so he has a few choices if needed and the H5 Universal info will be useful if he considers RGB again.

Edit: Ahh, read through post again and noticed your recommendation of Universal - I understand the confusion now. Would have been useful had I clarified it was the ultimate etc... given your post.

/Reaches for more coffee...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Thank you both again. I think this looks like the setup I'll likely go for, I may swap the 1600X for a regular 1600 which frees up some cash for a better cooler if there's anything else you chaps can recommend over the Cryorig and the be quiet! DR3? I'm happy to overclock the regular 1600 :)

I'm not hugely bothered by the RGB on coolers and fans, it looked great in a mates PC but I'm happy to run without it - I've currently got Noctua S12B Redux fans in my case, and I've currently got some LED strip lighting running around my case so I'm not short of lighting :p.

Soldato
Thank you both again. I think this looks like the setup I'll likely go for, I may swap the 1600X for a regular 1600 which frees up some cash for a better cooler if there's anything else you chaps can recommend over the Cryorig and the be quiet! DR3? I'm happy to overclock the regular 1600
You can get better coolers - the gains would be marginal as the Rock 3 performs very well for single tower/fan cooler. (Plus your case has a cooler limit height of 160mm which limits us)

I had your case in mind in the last spec (nice case BTW - i like those) - and these coolers - even the single towers are still huge. If you went twin tower/fan you may not get the look you're after (and most/all will not fit - height) - i would google pics to get an idea if you're unfamiliar with them. You're essentially attaching a house brick with fans to your CPU. :)

And looking again - now i'm more awake - we're right on your case limit of 160mm Cooler height with the Rock 3 - so when i have time later we'll double check what play you have with the case. A lot of the big twin tower/fan coolers are ruled out by default - as you rightly mentioned in your opening post.

We don't want the cooler touching that glass - it may fit. I have the maximum cooler height in one of my cases and it doesn't touch - but all things aren't equal in this particular case...

Soldato
OP
You can get better coolers - the gains would be marginal as the Rock 3 performs very well for single tower/fan cooler. (Plus your case has a cooler limit height of 160mm which limits us)

I had your case in mind in the last spec (nice case BTW - i like those) - and these coolers - even the single towers are still huge. If you went twin tower/fan you may not get the look you're after (and most/all will not fit - height) - i would google pics to get an idea if you're unfamiliar with them. You're essentially attaching a house brick with fans to your CPU. :)

And looking again - now i'm more awake - we're right on your case limit of 160mm Cooler height with the Rock 3 - so when i have time later we'll double check what play you have with the case. A lot of the big twin tower/fan coolers are ruled out by default - as you rightly mentioned in your opening post.

We don't want the cooler touching that glass - it may fit. I have the maximum cooler height in one of my cases and it doesn't touch - but all things aren't equal in this particular case...

Yeah the clearance isn't as high as I thought, my current cooler (Arctic Freezer i30) is about on the limit at 161mm, I think there's 1-2mm clearance between the top of the cooler and the glass side panel so it's a tight squeeze - kind of the reason why I was potentially looking at an AIO :p If the Dark Rock 3 will adequately cool the CPU with a mild overclock, then I'm more than happy to get that. It looks like a beast and is listed as being 160mm tall so should fit snugly.

Are there any resources I could use to see if I'd have any clearance issues for the RAM?

Soldato
Posted at same time - see above :)

If the Dark Rock 3 will adequately cool the CPU with a mild overclock, then I'm more than happy to get that.
If you're only after a mild overclock then you have zero to worry about - even the supplied Wraith cooler that comes with the 1600 non X will hold a 3.7GHz clock comfortably.

The Dark Rock 3 would be twiddling its thumbs at 3.7GHz/3.8GHz :)

And if you would prefer an AIO for the aesthetics don't let my, personal, misgivings about them put you off. You should get what you want - as long as it fits of course :D

Soldato
OP
Posted at same time - see above :)

If you're only after a mild overclock then you have zero to worry about - even the supplied Wraith cooler that comes with the 1600 non X will hold a 3.7GHz clock comfortably.

The Dark Rock 3 would be twiddling its thumbs at 3.7GHz/3.8GHz :)

And if you would prefer an AIO for the aesthetics don't let my, personal, misgivings about them put you off. You should get what you want - as long as it fits of course :D

That is absolutely perfect - thank you so much for your help, I think that's narrowed down my options massively to the point I can confidently pull the trigger on a new PC finally :D

I tried a Google image search for the cooler on a B350/X370 board but didn't get very far, but that video has cleared it up nicely. Fingers crossed it clears the RAM, though I don't think it should be a huge issue - I'm not going to upgrade to 32GB anytime soon so I should be able to use the banks that might be covered by the cooler if it becomes a problem.

I always tend to lean towards air cooling over the CLC AIO coolers, I've previously played with a H105 and the CM Seidon for a short while on my 2500k but I was never really happy with the noise output. That said, I do have a chance to borrow a Coolermaster MasterLiquid 240 from a mate at work so I could always try it and swap out to the DR3 :D

Thanks again for your assistance on this - I'm almost ready to pull the trigger and finally get a new PC!

Soldato
Pleasure Atari - hope all goes smoothly.

I'll add some Ryzen building tips when I get home - using phone - but you may be familiar with the Ryzen build process already...

Basically have a USB pen drive to hand Fat 32 formatted and familiarise yourself with EZ flash as ASUS...

Back
Top Bottom