Caporegime
Trying to pull an all nighter to level out my sleeping pattern. It isn't going well.

Two days ago I lost my job. Dismissed during my probation. It was undeserved, they took advantage.

I'm trying to move industry. I've not been to uni but I've got a Level 3 extended diploma in IT, good school grades, and I've had a few IT jobs. I've hated IT since my first job...

I'm trying to get a degree based apprenticeship at somewhere like Jaguar Land Rover, Bentley or Rolls Royce, but the locations are all hundreds of miles away from where I live currently.

I want to do this to change my life, to better myself, hopefully to make myself happier and have a fresh start, but I'm scared about losing the familiarity of home. I'm 22 and I've lived in the same town my whole life.

Associate
I don't stay up all night I just have a terrible night's sleep every night.

I just start getting hot, sweaty and itchy, I toss and turn and can't get to sleep. My alarm will go off at 6:00am and I will want to sleep through.

I feel like I can sleep through my alarm no problem and wake up at 9:00am but no matter if I go to bed earlier I can't sleep.

Soldato
Trying to pull an all nighter to level out my sleeping pattern. It isn't going well.

Two days ago I lost my job. Dismissed during my probation. It was undeserved, they took advantage.

I'm trying to move industry. I've not been to uni but I've got a Level 3 extended diploma in IT, good school grades, and I've had a few IT jobs. I've hated IT since my first job...

I'm trying to get a degree based apprenticeship at somewhere like Jaguar Land Rover, Bentley or Rolls Royce, but the locations are all hundreds of miles away from where I live currently.

I want to do this to change my life, to better myself, hopefully to make myself happier and have a fresh start, but I'm scared about losing the familiarity of home. I'm 22 and I've lived in the same town my whole life.

Excuse bumping the night post guys...

I moved out at 23 last year after living with my mum my entire life to do my placement year of uni, I was petrified. I moved 150 miles away from everything I knew.

would i do it again? No, not that location (bradistan) but anywhere else yes. changed my life for the better. I got a solid job, smashed my placement and grew up a tonne.

go do it!

Dup

Dup

Soldato

As someone who at a similar age passed up the opportunity from a contact to potentially work at R* games as a 3D artist (starting from the bottom), do it! I simply ignored it becasue the prospect of moving away to Edinburgh and living/working in a city put me right off. But at that age I was very narrow minded. I'm a country boy and couldn't see passed the 1/2 years slumming before building up the skills and abilities to make my life something more suitable to me. Plus I love Scotland ironically.

I'm 32 now and only just finding my feet and nowhere near where I want/need to be as a web developer. I did a dead end IT job for 10 years, downgraded to an even worse web design job for 2.5 and this current position I've been at for 6 months is the first positive career move. I could have done this over 10 years ago.

I'd like to say in that time I had great experiences and enjoyed my 20s, but I wasted them.

So if you have the opportunity, do it. You can only fall back to where you started and you're young enough to make all the mistakes and poor decisions you want, but you can only make that assessment in hindsight as you may be passing up huge opportunities dwelling on minor what-ifs.

Soldato
If you're moving to go on a course with other young folk then there's a good chance there are others in the same boat as you, making the move and settling much easier than joining a company alone. Also the north is much cheaper so the starting wage will go further.

Having a good relationship with your parents also helps, if it doesn't work out there's always the safety net of moving back :)

Permabanned
Just found this thread.
I've suffered with insomnia for longer than I care to remember.
Any good tips for trying to get my sleep better? I've tried meds such as Zopiclone (too addictive, but they work) doc doesn't like giving them out though so don't get them much. I've tried herbal stuff but no good. I lay down but just toss and turn and have to go on the computer or watch something until I finally drift off. It's so annoying and messes up my mood.

When I do sleep I still get up early and I'm awake all day so it's not like my pattern is messed up. I just can't fathom it.

Caporegime
Just found this thread.
I've suffered with insomnia for longer than I care to remember.
Any good tips for trying to get my sleep better? I've tried meds such as Zopiclone (too addictive, but they work) doc doesn't like giving them out though so don't get them much. I've tried herbal stuff but no good. I lay down but just toss and turn and have to go on the computer or watch something until I finally drift off. It's so annoying and messes up my mood.

When I do sleep I still get up early and I'm awake all day so it's not like my pattern is messed up. I just can't fathom it.

I'm going through the same for the past few years, also given sleeping tablets.They work, but the limited amount they are only useful short term.

Routine is the only thing that works for me. I work shift, which I think is what affects me. I have to stay awake after my last nightshift, so 26-28 hours just to get back into a good routine for my days off. Otherwise I then have 3-4 days of little to no sleep.Or getting to sleep fine, but waking up an hour later. It really is horrible.

But you really need to assess your whole life, how much coffee do you drink, what foods are you eating, how much fitness do you do. How comfy is your bed, how cool is your room. Do you have any life worries. Etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom