Website hosting help please

Soldato
Hi all, not sure if this the right subsection, but fingers crossed.

I'm looking to buy a domain for my son, and have an extremely basic website - just displaying a single image to start with, and a few links to YouTube.

I have no experience in this, so would be grateful for pointers and help. The domain is still available - is it worth buying first to secure it?

Soldato
buy domain > buy hosting > link the two
Thats pretty much all there is to it.
Most services will offer to do domain purchasing and hosting in one, but its worth shopping for a decent host as linking is super easy

Just remember that buying the domain just secures you that address in cyberspace, you wont be able to move in unless you have hosting to store everything.

My preference is cloudways, its a bit more complicated but is very adaptable compared to a lot of other hosts and their backend features are really great.
https://www.cloudways.com/en/pricing.php#monthlyKyp

Domain name registration sites are all going to be around the same price to be honest.
The difference is in the hosting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Or you could save yourself the cost of hosting by just buying the domain and hosting the site yourself. Either an always on PC or a Raspberry Pi would make a perfect web server. Combine with a dynamic DNS service and you're sorted.

Associate
So really stupid question you could run a small business web site from github ?
As far as I'm aware. You could always check the terms to be sure. There is this section, which mentions "organizational projects":

"We offer Pages sites primarily as a showcase for personal and organizational projects. Some monetization efforts are permitted on Pages, such as donation buttons and crowdfunding links."

So from that, I gather you wouldn't be allowed to sell directly from the site.

https://help.github.com/articles/github-terms-of-service/

Back
Top Bottom