Am I the only one who is looking forward to autonomous cars?

Soldato
I think it's a huge exaggeration.

Apart from that, automated transport sounds fine. Being transported by programmed computers is nothing special. Ships, trains, planes.

Sounds less fine to think about it being owned and maintained (or not) by individuals and that such machines would have to operate on open roads in extreme proximity to others, all of which is nothing like how the above examples work.

Soldato
We were talking about this in work the other day, me and a few others are very excited by it. I personally can't wait till i can just get in my car and sit back and watch some netflix on the journey home, way better.

Associate
First accident will make people rethink.

Perhaps, but all you need to do is quote that there were 1,780 road deaths, and 187,050 casualties of all severities, in 2016 UK with the present mode of driving.
We would need a period of widespread use to compare accident rates.
Not bumping into things is a fundamental design concern of autonomous vehicles.

Last edited:
Soldato
We were talking about this in work the other day, me and a few others are very excited by it. I personally can't wait till i can just get in my car and sit back and watch some netflix on the journey home, way better.

Why don't you just pay for a taxi now then? Same thing.

I don't own a car just because I have to, I own one because I like driving... even if it's just the daily commute.

Soldato
Why don't you just pay for a taxi now then? Same thing.

I don't own a car just because I have to, I own one because I like driving... even if it's just the daily commute.
It's not the same thing at all, you don't own a taxi, the cost is excessive for anything beyond a 5 mile drive, you sit in awkward silence or make pointless conversation with the driver, they take time to turn up unless you plan literally every journey 30 minutes in advance, you can't leave your own stuff in a taxi, they usually smell a bit weird, etc.

Not even remotely the same experience as sitting in your own autonomous car.

Soldato
Will the roads need upgrading? Honestly, I think it will be difficult to scale autonomous driving to a level you can sit back and ignore the road. The roads will need sorting/standardising.

This video is very interesting on AP2 on a Tesla.

Soldato
It's not the same thing at all, you don't own a taxi, the cost is excessive for anything beyond a 5 mile drive, you sit in awkward silence or make pointless conversation with the driver, they take time to turn up unless you plan literally every journey 30 minutes in advance, you can't leave your own stuff in a taxi, they usually smell a bit weird, etc.

Not even remotely the same experience as sitting in your own autonomous car.

Sounds like wanting a chauffeured car on the cheap.

Except I doubt a car which makes the chauffeur redundant would be anything but.

One good thing about drivers in cars is that someone is forced to be alert, competent and responsible.

Soldato
One good thing about drivers in cars is that someone is forced to be alert, competent and responsible.

Which planet is that on?

Everyday I see people distracted by various things... kids in the car, their phone, an accident on the other side of the road...

Soldato
Yes. I love driving. /Facetious

of course not, but i want to continue to have the ability to drive my own cars, and i also want them to remain combustion engine for a long time yet. Though I'd love to not have to pay attention in traffic jams.

Thug
Soldato
I get the concept and it makes kinda sense, but at the risk of sounding like a paranoid android..........I think the potential for abuse is too high for me to be comfortable.

Issues around decision making around who lives and dies in certain scenarios............eventual ownership of cars................possibility to being used for social control......... not for me!

Soldato
So what would these vehicles do if they were both controlled by computers ?
There also most likely a long line of other vehicles behind this bus & Van..

qj6Vyp9.jpg

And how are they going to program a computer to be able to drive on the pavement only when needed ?
W6XFIew.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like wanting a chauffeured car on the cheap.

Except I doubt a car which makes the chauffeur redundant would be anything but.

Which planet is that on?

Everyday I see people distracted by various things... kids in the car, their phone, an accident on the other side of the road...

Are you trying to make a point or casually smear.

You are required to pass a test and then comply with the law.

An automated car would have to meet the same base standards of negotiating traffic as a human and responsibility would have to land somewhere also.

Some creativity is also required in real driving.

Soldato
People will think they are a good idea. Right up until some hacker sends them off a cliff.

But as above, there's to many little every day problems which they won't be able to cope with. You can guarantee that if you took a fully automated car out on the road today, you would end up getting stuck somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom