• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Associate
Right... mystery solved. It was all down to me being a bit of a muppet. I was looking at the CPU sensor on the mb instead of the actual CPU temp :rolleyes:

This morning it’s idling at 25 with the mb CPU sensor at 17, which is pretty much room temp.

25 seems like a more realistic idle temp.

The CPU temp is 45 when in the BIOS. If I boot windows and run hwinfo immediately I see the temp at 43.8, then it drops over time down to 24.8.

Associate
Ryzens seem to be very frugal when not doing much. And not exactly guzzlers when busy either...

Agreed. I was concerned that forcing it to 3.8, and stopping it being able to drop down to a lower frequency when not in use would mean it’d run hot. That doesn’t seem to be the case though, which is great.

Associate
While wrestling still with my B350 Tomahawk, I've come across a few instances where the CMOS battery was dead from the factory with these boards.

If I'm continually struggling with any OC settings from a cold boot unless I let it sit in BIOS for a while and literally warm up, is it as simple as it doesn't like the settings from cold boot or would the battery be an issue?

I need to update to the 1.7 BIOS anyway, but I'm not sure if I might need a new battery too.

Soldato
While wrestling still with my B350 Tomahawk, I've come across a few instances where the CMOS battery was dead from the factory with these boards.

If I'm continually struggling with any OC settings from a cold boot unless I let it sit in BIOS for a while and literally warm up, is it as simple as it doesn't like the settings from cold boot or would the battery be an issue?

I need to update to the 1.7 BIOS anyway, but I'm not sure if I might need a new battery too.

It's the cold boot bug mate, it affects all boards. Just Google for more info. I've noticed it only affects me if running higher than 3200mhz on the ram.

Soldato
Depends on motherboard but you can start by setting CPU to 37 which gives an overclocked speed of 3.7Ghz on all core for a 1700.

Then have a look at DOCP / XMP for memory.

As normal be careful of voltages and temps.

Soldato
I have an ASROCK AB350M and a Ryzen 1600.

I have 3000mhz RAM but it is running at 2166. Is it just a case of setting the RAM to 2933 in the BIOS then its good to go? I won't be overclocking the Ryzen yet but I would like my RAM to run a bit faster for the time being.

Soldato

I have 3000mhz RAM but it is running at 2166. Is it just a case of setting the RAM to 2933 in the BIOS then its good to go? I won't be overclocking the Ryzen yet but I would like my RAM to run a bit faster for the time being.

You could find that you need to adjust memory voltage to 1.37-1.4V. This is no big issue for DDR4 which can run at 1.5V+. Also SOC voltage may need 1.1-1.15V.

Soldato

I have my SOC at 1.1v and my dramvoltage at 1.4v I can only get 3066Mhz from my 3200Mhz ram.

Soldato
Getting stuck at 3066 seems quite common, tbh.

Mine's happy at 1.35v at that speed. All I did was enable XMP and tweak down the frequency a notch. (Although I got a bluescreen last night for the first time in a week, if it happens again I'll dab up the volts a fraction.)

Gigabyte seem to set the SOC to 1.1v by default, which is... nice?

Soldato
Can anyone recommend an MATX board that would be best suited to overclocking an 8 core Ryzen that also has an RGB LED header?

Gigabyte Gaming 3 AB350M seems to have the LED/RGB you want, but I can't recommend its overclocking at all. Basically the moment you set the speed above 3.6, it whams the volts up to 1.40-1.45. This may be ok if you wanted to be super aggressive with the OC anyway, but if you just wanted a cool running 3.8 you're out of luck. Very good cooling required, my 240mm AiO is not up to the job :(

Caporegime

Even though Ryzen turned out pretty well, AMD is defending the CPU lineup’s (arguably) low clock rates: marketing manager Don Woligroski suggests that current performance is just a sampling of the brand's potential and notes that Zen 2 will really improve IPC rates and base frequencies. The company also intends to work with game developers to finally move PC gaming into the multi-core era.

Back
Top Bottom