Home Gaming Server

Associate
Hi everyone,

I was looking for a little advice from you. I'm planning on building a home server for ARK and Teamspeak, maybe a different game in the future.

Would an E5-2670 and 16gb of ram do the job? I was planning on having 2x 500gb hdd in raid and a gt 1030 or something to provide the required graphics.

What I would really like to know is will the E5-2670 be a major bottleneck? Will it useful for a few years 2-3 anyway?

Thank you in advance.

Soldato
For teamspeak a Pi would kill it, having said that. Discord is free and seems to be the "norm" these days. Can't really comment on the ARK thing as have never run one.

Last edited:
Soldato
I run a Rust server on a Ubuntu VM with 4 cores of my E5-2670 passed through and 16GB RAM. Appears to work fine. I'm not sure about ARK but I know the Unity engine in Rust is only single threaded so only one of those cores will be getting used.

I just run a teamspeak server as a docker.

Soldato
3 or 4 at the most (It's very new, lol). The number of players isn't usually the issue, it's the number of "Entities". That's why I try and keep my map fairly small and limit players to 50 max, it should reduce the number of items on the server.

Back
Top Bottom