LG 34UC79G 34" or Samsung C27FG70 27" - can't decide...

Associate
I agree with Southernorth. As someone who has used a Samsung 24cfg70, Dell s2417dg and the LG 34uc79g. I can tell you that you should go with your heart and take opinions with a grain of salt even mine.

Saying that though it's better to read the the experiences of those who have had the monitors more so than those who haven't.

Specs on paper is not everything for instance, the Samsung has a much higher contrast ratio being a va panel but looking at the LG side by side, you would think it was a match and that goes with the black level too. The LG was favored by everyone who saw it.

People keep harping on about the low ppi on this forum of the LG. It is fine for gaming and the contrast, color and black level are kind of more important as they really produce an amazing picture not to mention ultrawide adds so much more to the experience.

There is a caveat though. The ips panel is not the fastest and some trailing is visible sometimes.

The Samsung is great as well but it's weakness is smearing when displaying dark shades. It has trouble on dark grey shades in some games. I also had the 27 inch version and that was not as nice as the 24. Even though it has a lower ppi like the LG it somehow looked worse to me.

The Dell is the best gaming monitor I have owned to date for pure gaming being the fastest for pixel transition, the smoothest with no trailing, ghosting or smearing. It is truly a superb gaming monitor. The only weakness that I can see is slightly higher gamma which can in most cases be rectified with calibration.

All these monitors are great. I would recommend the Dell as you have a gtx 1080 and 165hz with Gsync is fabulous.

Associate
OP

Thanks Davanius and to everyone else for their suggestions. the biggest pita is that living in a field in northern ireland, there is nowhere local to go see these monitors in person and see the differences between TN vs IPS, IPS vs VA, 1080p vs 1440p, 60Hz vs 144Hz, G-Sync vs non G-Sync etc to see if my 45 year old eyes can even see any difference!

@southernorth the cheapest IPS G-Sync I can find is the AOC AGON AG271QG @ £690, @IvanDobskey the cheapest 1440p ultrawide monitors are £599 (AOC U3477PQU / LG 34UM88-C / Acer BX340CKbmijphzx etc) The new Samsung C27HG70 caught my attention but i'm fairly sure the one review I could find on Lims Cave said that the original Samsung C27FG70 was a better buy...

The DELL S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 has always been at the back of my mind, I've seen several reviews of both 24" and 27" against IPS screens and they do very well. Just can't help feel that i'd appreciate better colours on an IPS/VA than TN (though without seeing them it's hard to say) and at £450 i'm halfway to a 1440p ultrawide...

Soldato
Yes, seeing them in person would be ideal. But like you say, that's not always easy. Finding somewhere that has the models you are interested in on show is tricky wherever you live.

You can always buy over the internet and return under long distance selling laws if it isn't what you want though.

I have to say that I struggled with the idea of paying £700+ for my Samsung cf791 but when I got it all set up, any feeling of buyers remorse disappeared quickly :)

Associate
Thanks Davanius and to everyone else for their suggestions. the biggest pita is that living in a field in northern ireland, there is nowhere local to go see these monitors in person and see the differences between TN vs IPS, IPS vs VA, 1080p vs 1440p, 60Hz vs 144Hz, G-Sync vs non G-Sync etc to see if my 45 year old eyes can even see any difference!

@southernorth the cheapest IPS G-Sync I can find is the AOC AGON AG271QG @ £690, @IvanDobskey the cheapest 1440p ultrawide monitors are £599 (AOC U3477PQU / LG 34UM88-C / Acer BX340CKbmijphzx etc) The new Samsung C27HG70 caught my attention but i'm fairly sure the one review I could find on Lims Cave said that the original Samsung C27FG70 was a better buy...

The DELL S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 has always been at the back of my mind, I've seen several reviews of both 24" and 27" against IPS screens and they do very well. Just can't help feel that i'd appreciate better colours on an IPS/VA than TN (though without seeing them it's hard to say) and at £450 i'm halfway to a 1440p ultrawide...
After a quick look I found it for 399 on a well known site and 375 on another. But I do understand your reservations about it being TN - and the colours that brings. I would say that the IPS G-Sync monitors certainly look a bit better, but aren't as good for gaming.

I do agree that seeing the screens in person would be ideal. You may find that, for yourself, the difference between these IPS screens and a properly calibrated Dell isn't that big. You can kind of see all screens in person by ordering each screen and then returning, although that would take awhile and I'm sure the retailer wouldn't be too happy.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You guys are going to get me divorced...

OK, before I purchase one of these two screens I'll take another look at the monitors around £500-£600 mark. I do like the specs of the AOC AGON AG271QG (if I can get it for under £600) and also the new Samsung C27HG70. But for this price I feel like I can justify the ultrawide options better?

Any preferences on the 34" AOC / LG / Acer previously mentioned? Specs all look identical. The cf791 is a thing of beauty @IvanDobskey but it's well above my budget sadly...

Associate
OP
You can kind of see all screens in person by ordering each screen and then returning, although that would take awhile and I'm sure the retailer wouldn't be too happy.

I think i'd end up spending a fortune on return postage too mate, I don't even get free delivery in norniron!

Soldato
There is the LG 34UM88C which is 1440p ips panel for about £550 I think.

Looks decent but not curved.

Would probably be my choice in that price bracket.

But with it being ips, be prepared for some backlight bleed :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom