HomeAssistant.io

Permabanned
Have you guys used this?

I'm using it for my smart home at the moment (not that I have anything to use it with)

it's basically a website that acts as a smart hub - I've installed it on my raspberry pi, it seems ok so far however I think connecting to anything might be a bit of a hassle - at the moment you have to get into yaml files to configure the sites setup - not very user friendly, not very clean either, but still it works and seems to be working well - I don't have to buy a Samsung smart things hub as a result but wondering if I'm missing out on smartthings as a result...

Permabanned
OP
There's a lot of useful documentation to get you into it - at the moment I only have a chromecast, which it picked up automatically, but I've also set it up to auto renew ssl and block external ips based on failed attempts

Associate
I use it, I love it. It does require a lot of faffing when it comes to adding new things but if your happy with the terminal and just editing a few yaml files its no biggie.

I have it automating things like turning lights on and off when people come home after dark. Also changing LED backlights depending if plex is playing something or not. It also acts as a bridge to alexa to allow me to turn the tv on off with voice control. Its stable and just does its job.

Permabanned
OP
yep, really looking forward to doing more with it - and because it's a standalone system (not needing hardware) you can multi-purpose the device for other things - my PI will also be controlling my TV, the ambilight behind the TV, home security... quite a bit of stuff eventually :)

Back
Top Bottom