• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Question about 5770 with handle

Soldato
just picked one up as i got it for a tenner, was from a shop so didn't know what to expect, but it comes with metal plate handle? Quick look up suggests a guide for installation on certain computers of its era, now I might be able to get it to fit in the hdd section, but be a bit of a struggle, so my question is...

I don't have cutting tools, so is the plate safe to unscrew???? If it's too much hassle I'll just return it.

Soldato
just unscrew it.

Back in the day, all aid in cards were a fixed length and server/workstation cases had slots the end would go into to add support (most tower ones still do). As cards became shorter ones used in servers/workstations started to come with that extension (or the ability to fit one) in order to make up the missing space so they would still slot in.

Soldato
I can't see you picture but if it has apple part no.s on the card you could be Quid's in and be able to sell that for 50-80 on eBay as it's for Mac workstation if you feel like it.

I brought a whole PC with one of those in and did exactly that.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for replies, it doesn't appear to be no mac version unfortunately for the resale price ha, got a feeling it's OEM for dell or someone?

Anyways this is what it looks like, when I unscrewed the metal it felt like it was permanently fixed or not been made easy to remove?

http://s1111.photobucket.com/user/Reaper85/slideshow/Computer bits

If this even links, using mobile version on iPhone and it's a pain in the butt.

I could cut it, but would it really be worth it for the age of the card?

Man of Honour
That's a Apple card going by the part number, that's what Google throws up anyway. I just checked sold listings on Ebay and they still fetch up to £150!! Mainly in the mid £80's but it just shows what Apple fanboys will pay for outdated components.

Soldato
OP
Oh right okay so it wouldn't have worked either way then lol?

I don't use eBay, so unless I know I could get a decent amount I'm probably best to just return it.

Soldato
OP
I thought something that works with Mac doesn't work with pc?

:edit:

I am trying to sell it on gum, I've adjusted my advert as I thought it was for mac only, but got till tomorrow to return it, however all being well I am picking up a 560(gainwood model I think) later for like £15, not that I looked, but don't think I could find a decent case that would fit the 5770 for cheap and without a gpu I can't sell the system to buy a better system from 1155 era

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
As far as I'm aware, they should work in PC fine. I used to work in a CeX and we'd buy them in normally — some of them you can unscrew the 'handle', some of them you cannot :)

thanks for reply.

i can tell you as i type this the graphics card seems to be working, took the motherboard out to test it before i took it back as i have seen a 650ti in same cex i got this 5770 from for bit more money, but refund would cover majority, so wanted to make sure first, currently installing driver from amd site, both cards are weak for what i want, but i need a gpu to run my system and least i can game, a cex hour & half away has a 570 for same price as 650ti which would be just what i need, just hassle like, missed out on a vostro 200 mini tower for really cheap as that wouldve fitted this 5770 easier.

just as i typed this the beta driver listed failed to detect hardware, so having to install via windows update :rolleyes:

anyways here are a couples of my trial.

note: that Akasa K32 cooler is quite loud lol, the low profile version is near silent.

you cant see the bottom highlight due to shade, but seems to be the only 2 that looks like rivets as such and whats keeping the plate on tight, so dont know if it can be removed although there are like 9 screws i can take out?? :confused:

:Edit:

Bloody typical isn't it lol, I'm having to restart for the driver anyways so I'll have a look at it, was working fine yesterday, on a plus while that handle is annoying it does come in handy to feed cables through lol

Last edited:
Don
i have seen a 650ti in same cex i got this 5770 from for bit more money
both cards are weak for what i want, but i need a gpu to run my system and least i can game, a cex hour & half away has a 570 for same price as 650ti which would be just what i need, just hassle like, missed out on a vostro 200 mini tower for really cheap as that wouldve fitted this 5770 easier.

You haven't took on board anything that was said in the other thread... Stop throwing good money away on old tat. May be only £10 or £20 here, but do it a few times and you could easily buy something worthwhile.

Anything older than geforce 7xx series or radeon 7xxx series aren't supported and are too old to be messing around with.

A 7850 can be had for £50 it will run rings around anything you are looking at, and still has current driver support. Pair it with an older I3/i5 bundle for £50-£100 and it is still a capable system

Soldato
OP
I take onboard what people say, but I am not in positions to just buy stuff for 50 plus in one go, what I spent on my system so far over the last few days has been from a bit of wage, but mostly selling other parts or general stuff I had I no longer needed, plus I only have few resources to find stuff, the fact that my computer depends on a graphics card I can't just rely on ordering things as I need them that same day and I like older tech.

My whole haswell gaming setup I had cost a over £700 in total and at that time I was in a position to use it more(had it well over a year), the fact I sold it 4 months ago for £210(no monitors etc) due to lack of use and needing the money at the time shows my level of concern for a nice system..

i want to play Anno 2205 again and try this recent purchase of mortal kombat X, maybe keep other games updated and play older games still, so while the gpu isn't strong enough as such I'm at the sort of level and budget I want, without the extra costs of another psu(the supernova GS 550w) I had spent £71, that's £5 for the tower, motherboard(originally with e6300), an okay square akasa cooler, 4gb ram, 500gb hard drive, so that's most the system right there, I didn't have to get the quad. Fair enough I have seen 1155 socket systems, but they are £70-120 and most only have a dual core & 2gb ram plus intel graphics, so would've just cost more to upgrade anyways.

I will look at other hosting as I've only ever used photobucket and was working fine yesterday, but I only want to know about the metal plate, I don't want to have more debates over my Spendings, I don't have time to play 500-1000 quid systems to waste the money, it's that's simple.

Soldato
OP
just a quyick update for anyone who might care ha, couldnt return it to cex where i got it, that 650ti was sold and i didnt have the extra cash to buy anything else as a typical trade in, was becoming too much of a headache, even decided against buying another tower(dell vostro 220 to be specific) so as the card works and no mac pro owner would buy this old card now and not being able to sell it on quick enough to pc users i gave up and got a hacksaw to the handle and now fits like a charm,

Back
Top Bottom