Disappointed with SteelSeries Sensei 310

Soldato
Over the past few years I've used the Sensei, Xai and Sensei RAW. Brilliant mice (for me), has a nice weight to them, love the shape that echo's the Microsoft Intellimouse, and a nice flexible braided cable adds another nice touch.

Since my RAW has de-rubberised itself, I decided to replace it and because I don't want to risk either buying from some random eBay shop or spending a ludicrous amount of money elsewhere, I decided to go with what Steelseries have dubbed it's replacement, the Sensei 310.

It's not a replacement, it's something else and shouldn't carry the Sensei name IMO. It's too light and combined with the lack of braided cable comes across REALLY cheap and horrible in comparison to it's "predecessor". Then on to the shape of it, which looks pretty much the same apart from a bit of styling, split buttons and the addition of the silicon grips, which I actually think are a good idea, but I feel as though they add more to the width.

I'm disappointed that they've decided to completely change up a good recipe, It shouldn't happen with peripherals, if they want to change something up, release a new model and leave the original legend/bread and butter alone etc etc, maybe just upgrade the internals and release new aesthetic designs.

With that said, where do i go from here? Looking for a solid, good quality ambidextrous style mouse as close to the old Sensei size and style.

I'll be paying visits to a few shops, but any heads up appreciated.

Associate
Hello OP.

Finally, something I can answer in the gaming peripherals section.

I too had a Sensei Raw. Which I liked shape and weight wise. Sadly, I came back to it one day after playing PUBG and the mouse wheel was no longer working properly.

So I went on a quest to find a new mouse.

For some reason, I didn't go for another SteelSeries and I went for a Corsair M65 Pro. Beautiful looking RGB and felt premium, but a bit heavy for fingertip grip really. Loved the mouse switches.

So then I looked into small alternatives and it seems the Roccat Kone Pure Optical (Military) and Zowie FK-2 were top on the list.

I ended up buying both.

Iy0566p.jpg
7387dc82-41ac-4b9c-95fb-731164aff634
7387dc82-41ac-4b9c-95fb-731164aff634

The Roccat isn't the same shape, it's a love or hate it shape really. I've ended up loving it and the overall feel of the material (soft touch kinda).

The FK-2 is the Sensei Raw but much better. It's the same kind of ambi shape and has buttons on both sides.

It's much stiffer feeling than the Sensei and the button clicks on 1&2 are reassuringly stiff - they are Omron switch equivalents I believe.

KaYLpQl.jpg

The FK2 has no lights or drivers. It seems so basic but it's a legendary mouse. I've loved it but in the end, I've found the Roccat to be better for me.

I'm not recommending that one to you because I think if I went straight to an FK2 I wouldn't have even bothered to have tried anything else. The Kone Pure has just worked out.

Here's the FK2 on OCuk https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zowie-fk2-high-performance-gaming-mouse-kb-036-zw.html

Here's a newer version of the Roccat Kone Pure https://www.overclockers.co.uk/rocc...ce-rgb-gaming-mouse-roc-11-725-kb-04w-rc.html

And here's a review of the FK2 because I really think you should get it:

tl;dr The Fk2 is like the Sensei except a stiffer shell and a MUCH better mouse.

Soldato
OP
Thanks @mattpj

The Roccat I wouldn't get one with, i know just by looking at the shape.
The Zowie FK2 definitely looks to be a contender though, i think i'll order one this weekend!

Thanks for you're input, much appreciated.

Associate

The FK2 has no lights or drivers. It seems so basic but it's a legendary mouse. I've loved it but in the end, I've found the Roccat to be better for me.

I'm not recommending that one to you because I think if I went straight to an FK2 I wouldn't have even bothered to have tried anything else. The Kone Pure has just worked out.

Here's the FK2 on OCuk https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zowie-fk2-high-performance-gaming-mouse-kb-036-zw.html

Here's a newer version of the Roccat Kone Pure https://www.overclockers.co.uk/rocc...ce-rgb-gaming-mouse-roc-11-725-kb-04w-rc.html

And here's a review of the FK2 because I really think you should get it:

tl;dr The Fk2 is like the Sensei except a stiffer shell and a MUCH better mouse.

^This.

I have the FK1 and I love it. Used to have Steelseries Xai, but it too derubberized.

Btw there is FK1+, FK1, FK2. Identical guts, but they go big to small in that order. Big meathooks take the FK1+, dainty hands the FK2, and in-betweeners the FK1.

Associate
Yes definitely good advice, all based on how big your hands are. The fk2 is defo the size of the Sensei Raw in This case.

The fk2 was out of stock when I went to OCuk and I nearly bought the fk1 instead. Glad I didn't.

Associate
The one thing I'd say about the beautiful looking ASUS is that in terms of mouse weight it's considerably heavier. The Corsair I have is around that weight and for my style it's a bit too heavy. Not like you couldn't get used to it but could be annoying going from your Sensei RAW.

Soldato
OP
The one thing I'd say about the beautiful looking ASUS is that in terms of mouse weight it's considerably heavier. The Corsair I have is around that weight and for my style it's a bit too heavy. Not like you couldn't get used to it but could be annoying going from your Sensei RAW.

I like a heavier mouse :) feels much better on my hand then having something light with no feel or substance to it.

Associate
I honestly think it's one of the greatest mice out there for its price. Make sure you take advantage of setting custom sensitivity depending on what game you're playing, I have separate settings for Browsing, FPS, MOBA and MMORPGs, and it can even detect when you tab out of a game and into a browser.

V F

V F

Soldato
I like a heavier mouse :) feels much better on my hand then having something light with no feel or substance to it.

What is considered too light? I must admit I hate that feeling as if you're moving an empty shell. The Razer Copperhead sometimes felt like that to me. Or it was because of the jittery sensor.

Soldato
Damn, 112g?

My Rival 700 is heavier than that!

I think it helps to have a good mouse mat. I use a Steelseries Dex and my Rival 700 glides so well on it weight is a non issue.

It's also the best built Steelseries mouse too.

I tried a new Sensei 310 and compared to my Rival 700 it just feels cheap (especially the buttons) and nothing like as comfortable to use.

Back
Top Bottom