Medion Erazer X7853 i7 17In 16GB 256GB GTX1070 Gaming Laptop

Associate
Im in the market for a new laptop, going to hand my Omen on to the kids.

This comes in at circa 1400 online, now is the 1070 a decent card or is that the budget range of the 10' series?

Be interested to know a bit more as the brand seems like its something Lidl would sell, but I dont know much :D

Caporegime
1070 is above average. It will easily power through 1080p gaming.

I thought Medion was a junk brand too but the experts on here say it is a rebranded Cleo which means it’s good.

Soldato
Really nice machine its a rebranded Clevo so is fairly well built. It also has G-Sync and a fair amount of drive upgrade options as well as 4 dimms for ram. The 1070 is full fat and will handle anything you throw at it with ease at 1080p and will put out decent results at 4k too.

Tbh I found the Medion easily on par with anything from the other brands build wise and in some respects better.

Great machine and great price too....

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you have any questions fire away I had one for a few weeks as a test machine.

Thanks, I suppose the main concern (like for everyone) is how the temps fare and is it something I can use for gaming over a sustained period, ie 6 hours for example?

I think spec wise, it looks nice for the price. I cant really afford or want to spend more than 1500, so this comes in just shy. I am tempted to go back to a desktop in some ways, but the reality is, its not practical for me right now. That means getting the best machine for my budget and hopefully this seems like a good mid-top tier spec atm, which should at least give me some longevity in terms of gaming at a decent level.

Soldato
Temps are good max CPU around 82.c and GPU around 78.c running Asus realbench stress test. Gaming they are a bit less there is no throttling at all and the CPU maintains its turbo speeds easily. The 1070 sits at around 1675Mhz. The fans are fairly loud when pushed but nothing out of the ordinary for a machine of this spec on par with anything else. It has 3 fans and a substantual heatpipe assembly so plenty of cooling....

It runs BF1 at Ultra settings 1080p at over 100fps and managed a perfectly smooth average of around 45fps at 4k.

There have been reports of both 60Hz and 75hz IPS screens being used the one I had was 75Hz....

This is the X7849 but its the same inside other than the Kaby Lake 7700 cpu.

fuz0nt.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks mate, sounds good to me. Hopefully I get a better screen then, not sure how to confirm that, ill look at the spec page again.

Looks like its the 60hz G-Sync, not sure what that means but i cant grumble.

Soldato
Its stated to be 60Hz but some including the one i had were native 75Hz screens. Its just luck if you get one. Even the 60Hz screen is decent and G-Sync makes a world of difference albeit a smaller one when your GPU can pretty much max anything at 1080p 60Hz...

Associate
Ordered one of these yesterday. Was £1323.00 in a well known high street store (gone up £400 today)

Picking up Tuesday. For the price its an unreal spec. I've read that Medion is trash on another site but then seen they are rebranded Clevos so trusting the build quality will be ok.

It does seem these laptops get hot so think i might sit it on a laptop cooler. However, I am also reading the Kaby Lake 7th gen cpu's operate at higher temps and can reach 90 degs which is quite normal.

Presumably you could reduce voltage slightly to cpu if it was really bad but will see what its like on Tuesday. Cannot wait.

Caporegime
In a way, I'm kind of glad it's gone back up in price (now out of my budget) so looks like I'm back to a HP Omen 1060 (which is what I really wanted in the first place). :p

Soldato
I have the Omen now and its a nice machine. 1060 is a max Q but still does a good job. But its not a patch on the Medion though :) apart from the screen that is which is nicer on the Omen with its 120Hz refresh...

If you look around you can get an Omen 15 with i7 7700, 1060, 256gb NVME ssd & 1tb HDD with G-Sync 120Hz IPS screen for £1150 which is also a great price....

Caporegime
I have the Omen right now and its a nice machine. 1060 is a max Q but still does a good job. But its not a patch on the Medion though :)

Aye, I remember you saying but the ones I'm looking at on the HP store don't mention Max Q at all. But that's only about a small difference in performance anyway, 10% or something?

Soldato
All the new 2017 model Omens use Max Q Nvidia graphics. Its a bit of a performance hit and tbh a bit pointless in the Omen which has decent cooling and not that thin. Still a great machine though and for 1080p will do a superb job...

Associate
OP
Gone up in price :(

Cant believe that, id have jumped on it if i had seen the deal was ending.... oh well the search for something new continues. Tempted to go nuts and get a 1080, but going 2k plus seems insane :(

Back
Top Bottom