Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen - MMO on Kickstarter

Soldato
I saw Cohh streaming this last week and it looks like it needs a fair amount of work still, what did look wrong imo was it took a team of 5 to just kill a low level wolf.

Man of Honour
And this thing about blaming dungeon finder for all the issue in today's mmo's is utterly and totally stupid, while I have been lucky over the years to have been in a active guild, and so did all my dungeon runs in said guild, I do believe that GF/DF is a good tool in mmo's these days, anything that keeps players engaged is a good tool, GF/DF has become such a scrap goat for people finding reasons that games fail.

I'm someone who despises whats happened to the MMO genre, UO/EQ1/AC1/Daoc were the best MMOs by a long way and for many reasons. I dont have a problem with GF/DF, providing that it doesnt incorportate a teleport to group/dungeon feature. A huge part of the social side of MMOs used to be the fact that you needed to travel across zones and thereby encountered other people (and providing that you werent just an agoraphobe, would communicate with some of them) , *Finders in themselves arent bad, they help you to find people...who you then hopefully would actually talk to and not just run the dungeon in silence, but if they allow you to simply sit in town and teleport to dungeons 7 zones away, thats not so conducive to the social side imo.

Associate
I saw Cohh streaming this last week and it looks like it needs a fair amount of work still, what did look wrong imo was it took a team of 5 to just kill a low level wolf.
Yes and know - low level toons- have low level weapons and other things - they've put the enemies to be a challenge for a group - all levels; to solo in this game is going to be difficult; like it was in EQ and Vanguard.

That's the thing they want is people grouping; communicating - having fun again instead of silence. Group finder; dungeon finder and raid find has killed a lot of the communication - instance travel straight to a dungeon instead of having to trek across a few zones together - work and communicate on what's happening.

Does it need work? Yes and there are balancing issues - each stream and video they put out see a lot of improvements - see the them having fun as a group as they need to work together......that to me is one of the biggest pulls to this game. That was what made UO and EQ so amazing was the community - along with the fact there is a lot of innovation coming in this mmo......

Soldato
Yes and know - low level toons- have low level weapons and other things - they've put the enemies to be a challenge for a group - all levels; to solo in this game is going to be difficult; like it was in EQ and Vanguard.

That's the thing they want is people grouping; communicating - having fun again instead of silence. Group finder; dungeon finder and raid find has killed a lot of the communication - instance travel straight to a dungeon instead of having to trek across a few zones together - work and communicate on what's happening.

Does it need work? Yes and there are balancing issues - each stream and video they put out see a lot of improvements - see the them having fun as a group as they need to work together......that to me is one of the biggest pulls to this game. That was what made UO and EQ so amazing was the community - along with the fact there is a lot of innovation coming in this mmo......

Exactly. This is all about bringing the fun back to MMOs. Want to do something? You have to work with and talk to other players. Want to get somewhere? Be prepared to run across half the world to get there.

The idea of an MMO like EQ coming again is my idea of heaven. Actually making friends and talking to people to make a group will be awesome. I'm totally hyped for this game.

Permabanned
I'm someone who despises whats happened to the MMO genre, UO/EQ1/AC1/Daoc were the best MMOs by a long way and for many reasons. I dont have a problem with GF/DF, providing that it doesnt incorportate a teleport to group/dungeon feature. A huge part of the social side of MMOs used to be the fact that you needed to travel across zones and thereby encountered other people (and providing that you werent just an agoraphobe, would communicate with some of them) , *Finders in themselves arent bad, they help you to find people...who you then hopefully would actually talk to and not just run the dungeon in silence, but if they allow you to simply sit in town and teleport to dungeons 7 zones away, thats not so conducive to the social side imo.
Really could not agree more. I guarantee that this game as is it will fail.

Associate
Personally looking forward to Pantheon, The game is still in pre-pre alpha and we most likely won't see a finished product until Q2 2018 even though they obtained series A funding just recently.
I have faith in Brad and team gearing it towards the old school MMO's but ofc it won't be everyone's cup of tea as its being specifically developed to a targeted audience.

Soldato
Really could not agree more. I guarantee that this game as is it will fail.

EverQuest had a group finder. It was an LFG tool and would show you everyone who was LFG in your level range. You just had to talk to them and get them to run to your location. This game already has a pretty massive following and Vanguard which was Brads other MMO sold over 200,000 copies when it launched so I'm pretty confident this game will do well.

Anyway the latest stream is now up on YouTube from this evening.

Associate
EverQuest had a group finder. It was an LFG tool and would show you everyone who was LFG in your level range.

And it worked well, especially if you didn't have a bad rep on the server. I played a ranger being a class that you would least want in a group and somehow most of the time managed to get a group ;)

Soldato
And it worked well, especially if you didn't have a bad rep on the server. I played a ranger being a class that you would least want in a group and somehow most of the time managed to get a group ;)

Wow. Coincidence. My main was a ranger as well called, unsurprisingly, Cromulent on the Antonious Bayle server.

Associate
It was a hard life being a ranger, especially in the early stages where you had to craft your own arrows and damage output was on par to a necromancers pet :).
Played on Brell and Legends for a 5 year period from launch.

Soldato
If it is like EQ1 then I will be happy, having to group is fine by me, doing corpse runs early on in EQ1 was a pain sometimes but you knew if you wiped it could be a few hours getting your corpse back if you were deep into a dungeon, but that made a lot of tension as well because it could be a pain if you wiped.

Associate
Quick overview - Footage is 3 months old - Hopefully new footage coming soon with improvements made.
Still, really looking forward to this when complete.

Man of Honour
This MMO is the only one on the horizon which I'm waiting for, its my last best hope for an old school MMO that recaptures something of the glory days of the golden age of MMOs.

/fingersverymuchcrossed

Soldato
This MMO is the only one on the horizon which I'm waiting for, its my last best hope for an old school MMO that recaptures something of the glory days of the golden age of MMOs.

/fingersverymuchcrossed

I've been following this game since January 2016 and agree. This and Chronicles of Elyria are the only two MMOs I'm really looking forward to. I'm so hyped for testing to begin. It is going to be great :).

Associate
The music for this game is awesome:

http://www.pantheonmmo.com/media/audio/

Yea I love the fact someone's going this is going to fail. No - Brad actually handling this project correctly. The best thing that happened even Brad had said was kick starter campaign failed. It made him and his team take a step back. It made him look at the mistakes he made on EQ and specially on Vanguard; own up to them and still move forward to get this game made.

Like I said I've been following this game since Kickstarter - since he'd roped in volunteers literally to work on the project; his team kept going when this could have easily been given up on; slowly made progress until more and more people starting backing this. Will this be everyone's cup of tea? No; but Pantheon already knows the numbers they need to break even and make money.

Let's put it this way; they are already there; this is why the project is moving so much more quickly now. ;) Seriously their community interaction is wonderful; between their twitter account; and including Brad - updates; if you watch their latest streams you are seeing the artwork starting to get polished far more; gameplay is getting a lot better; specially the AI.

Some of the game mechanics is also; like having to jump; climb up levels in a mine and climb down to get out of them mine.......and the fact they haven't actually said no to letting me into the alpha to do videos for my YT channel :D they haven't said yes either LOL

Soldato
Yea I love the fact someone's going this is going to fail. No - Brad actually handling this project correctly. The best thing that happened even Brad had said was kick starter campaign failed. It made him and his team take a step back. It made him look at the mistakes he made on EQ and specially on Vanguard; own up to them and still move forward to get this game made.

Like I said I've been following this game since Kickstarter - since he'd roped in volunteers literally to work on the project; his team kept going when this could have easily been given up on; slowly made progress until more and more people starting backing this. Will this be everyone's cup of tea? No; but Pantheon already knows the numbers they need to break even and make money.

Let's put it this way; they are already there; this is why the project is moving so much more quickly now. ;) Seriously their community interaction is wonderful; between their twitter account; and including Brad - updates; if you watch their latest streams you are seeing the artwork starting to get polished far more; gameplay is getting a lot better; specially the AI.

Some of the game mechanics is also; like having to jump; climb up levels in a mine and climb down to get out of them mine.......and the fact they haven't actually said no to letting me into the alpha to do videos for my YT channel :D they haven't said yes either LOL

Yeah the interaction with the community is what keeps me following Pantheon. Also the people who are interested in it are really nice people and I get on well with a lot of them. I haven't really met any bad apples in the community.

Kilsin does a great job on the forums. They are working hard on getting the game ready for testing now so hopefully it won't be long before we can get in to Pantheon and start testing it. I've been waiting long enough for it to happen :).

Man of Honour
This game is still my last, final, great hope to save the MMO genre for me.

Forced grouping...hurrah.
Hardly any fast travel options... hurrah.
No group finder....hurrah.
Focus on the world rather than instanced dungeons....hurrah.
Very few quests...hurrah.

Come on Pantheon, deliver once final time the MMO experience which made UO, Daoc (in pve terms) and EQ my favourite MMOs of all time. Let me relive the golden era of MMOs a last time before the genre sinks beneath the waves for good.

Associate

Come on Pantheon, deliver once final time the MMO experience which made UO, Daoc (in pve terms) and EQ my favourite MMOs of all time. Let me relive the golden era of MMOs a last time before the genre sinks beneath the waves for good.

Very few quests? oh - that's where you're wrong there are going to be a lot of quests......it will just depend on your skill set if you see them and unlock them or not. Interaction with the npcs - as an adventurer; you'll see adventure quests; if you're a crafter you'll get a different set of quests; both you'll see supposed even another set. Its all about the interaction engine that's being built.

Associate

There were lots of quests in Everquest, they just weren't highlighted with user friendly markers over the quest givers head, you actually had to go find them :)

Haven't read into too much about Pantheon, but seems they intend on instilling a sense of consequence to death. I hope they do, as these days it carries no real penalty. I want Fear zone CR's!!*

*(actually, I don't, cos they were a major PITA)

Back
Top Bottom