What or who got you onto PC gaming?

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Started with the C64, my dad brought it home with idea of doing his accounts. He soon gave up and I discovered you could buy games for it. My next gaming machine would be a 386 dx 25, 40mb hard drive, 4mb memory, 2.5 inch drive inch which cost about £900 quid. My first upgrade was an adlib sound card followed by the original 3dfx card. Since then I have always had a pc.

Associate
90's kid so got no idea on some of the above.
Console gamed from a young age Sega, Ps1 , original xbox, xbox 360. The switchover only happened recently though when i moved out two years ago and bought my brothers old gaming pc as I needed a computer. Never used it for gaming until a few months down the line. When we were kids pc gaming was terrible in my eyes compared to the console so I didnt think it could compete.. guess i was wrong.
Decided a year ago instead of buying a PS4 or Xbox 1 i would invest in the PC and glad i did. Being tight the costs are a lot less than console gaming. Not used a console since and I cant see that changing. Just need my new upgrades fitted by the end of the year and i will be very happy

Associate
ZX Spectrum 48k
ZX Spectrum +
ZX Spectrum +2
Amiga 500
Amiga1200
Pentium II
All gets a bit blurred from then on in...

Consoles have featured through the years, but never been at the front of my mind like the above.

Game highlights -

Speccy - Viking Raiders and Ant Attack
Amiga - Lemmings, Another World, Shadow of the Beast,Speedball 2, Syndicate, Alien Breed, Dune II, Zool
PC - Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall and onwards, Wolfenstein, Descent, Ultima Underworld, Halflife, WoW .

Caporegime
The earliest I can remember is watching my dad play Doom and Quake as a child. He didn't let me watch for obvious reasons but I used to be sneaky. I think they were also the first games I ended up playing.

That, or Sonic on the Sega Mega Drive. Whichever came first.

Permabanned
The Amstrad CPC 464.

Cpc464.computer.750pix.jpg

Associate
Grew up watching my uncles playing games on pc, went through zx spectrum, snes etc etc At around 10-11? i got my own PC and never looked back. PC Master Race.

Associate
Got my first PC when I was about 12-13. It was mainly for homework but then I convinced my mum to buy me Delta Force 2 in a Dixon's store for a fiver. Then suddenly I was thrust into the world of online gaming on a 56k connection and it was glorious.

Associate
I have so much love for this thread.

I'm 44 and started with the Atari 2600. I went to the Commode 16, Atari ST and the Amiga 500.
Some great gaming memories of centipede and tank commander on the 2600 past many games mentioned before and I laughed so hard playing lemmings.
PC gaming was all about the strategy games something consoles never had.
C&C, Civilisation, hours spent on x-com. Still play now but can't spend that sort of time anymore unfortunately. I have a mid range PC now and an Xbox for casual gaming.

Associate
It all started here:

sinclair-zx-spectrum-2-nah-460.jpg

I've came full circle as i started gaming on a home computer with the ZX Spectrum +2 in '86. It wasn't until 2003 i started gaming on a computer again, but i was mostly still gaming on consoles up until 2007. 2007 is the year PC gaming really changed for me as most titles were getting a PC version, plus Steam had a huge influence as well. Now i do all my gaming exclusively on PC.

Last edited:
Associate
Hehe - lets see; I remember my dad bringing home from work IBM PC Jr; it was supposed to be first portable computer. Damn thing weight like 40ish pounds :D

Fold up keyboard - 6" monicrom green screen - two 5 and half floppies until he paid like 500 dollars or a grand for like 25 mg HD - technically his company did :D

Had Zork on floppy and Destroyer. Loved those games - also had before that Atari 2600 before and we even had the infamous ET. I begged for 10th birthday for NES :D even saved my allowance which I earned by mowing the lawns for a couple weeks to get Castlevania.

Years later my Dad had a PC built for his home office he was an accountant; which I played all the great games on X-wing; Doom; Wolfenstein 3D; Hexen; then for senior project I built my own PC - rest is history. I love gaming......:D

Permabanned
The Amstrad CPC 464.

Cpc464.computer.750pix.jpg

Colour screen hey, no green one, one thing i loved about the Amstrad was the conversion of the coin-op classic Renegade (1987) and Who dares wins 2, Barbarian (Palace software) was good too until the ST and Amiga versions came along. That joystick looks like a Competiton pro Zipstick, the best 16 bot joystick for the Amiga and ST. However that joystick was not around until 16 bit days yet its being used on n Amstrad?? Photoshopped or maybe a time traveller that girl is??
:)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zip-Stik-Joystick-Commodore-Sinclair/dp/B00COIOYF8
Still got my OS disk & 4.0 somewhere & quite a few games/gfx software & loads of cover cds, just in case ever find another Amiga again :D

z6xl0JU.jpg

Yeah i still have a few games in the attic, not that many but i have loads of originals for the spectrum. When looking at the boxes they invoke powerful emotions for me, a time when the rules were made up as we went along, before the dark times before the empire that we have today :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
It all started here:

sinclair-zx-spectrum-2-nah-460.jpg

I've came full circle as i started gaming on a home computer with the ZX Spectrum +2 in '86. It wasn't until 2003 i started gaming on a computer again, but i was mostly still gaming on consoles up until 2007. 2007 is the year PC gaming really changed for me as most titles were getting a PC version, plus Steam had a huge influence as well. Now i do all my gaming exclusively on PC.

Yeap i started on this too, still have the same one in the Attic from 1986.
Im 42 btw and started game on Space Invaders in one of the Many Greasy cafes back in the day along with Asteroids. Been gaming since around 5 or 6 years old. Arcades used to be packed, you couldnt move in them years ago, games to play, place to hang out, got my BMX chromolly nicked out the Arcade years ago while playing Star Wars, i went home sobbing.

Back
Top Bottom