Looking for some feedback on videos

Associate
Hi All,

A little bit cheeky to ask I know but here goes anyway. I have recently started producing a few gaming videos, so far being Kingdoms & castles and Car mechanic simulator. Obviously being new to any form of video recording the quality isn't great and i'm sure there must be areas where i can improve.

So i'd really appreciate any comments good & bad about what works and what could be improved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM_FrhnFbIo

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Caporegime
Your video intro is pretty decent and your commentary seems fine. :)

What recording software and microphone are you using?

I've just remembered..... you may find this thread useful: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ding-streaming-tips-tricks-exchange.18716554/

Unrelated to the above and quite possibly a daft question (considering your channel name has 'Evo' in it), but is that a Sierra Sapphire Cosworth in your YT banner?

Associate
OP
Thanks for your feedback. As I record more i am finding myself saying less urms & arghs and such funny noises which should hopefully continue to improve the commentry.

For recording I have been using OBS studio and then editing with lightworks v14. Microphone wise I am only using my headset (hyperx cloud) which I know isn't ideal, I need to research and buy a better usb microphone.

haha unfortunately it is not, although I wish it was. No it is a an evo 8, at the start of the channel I wasn't sure if i wanted to do a gaming or car channel, I think now though i have realised I can't do both so am going to stick with gaming and move away from the car side. In the future if this pans out well I may start a second channel to do some car stuff.

Soldato
can i please make a recommendation, i used to hate listening to myself. but i got a blue yeti microphone tat has a direct pass trough. now when i am on coms i can always hear myself with a super super fast almost immediate delay and this has now made me no longer bothered by my voice or commentary. thus making me more happy/confident to go do whatever the **** i want.

peace, much love.

Caporegime
There is a lot of microphone hiss, and the video could perhaps do with some shortening and chopping about to keep viewers engaged, but overall not bad. Better than I could do. :)

Associate
OP
Haha thanks guys appreciate the feedback.

Certainly right about the microphone hiss, not sure if thats just down to a cheaper microphone or me not recording properly. I am going to have a go recording the microphone separately in OBS so I can play with the audio track.

I'll have a go playing my voice back as I record that could help my commentary.

Thanks all

Associate
Evoloz I'll also post on the video as the game looks pretty cool and might have to some on it :D I started with a headset mic; yea ended up getting Mic stand; the loop ring and blue snowball mic with a filter on front. Really helps with that. Intro is nice :) I need to get more software to actually build a better intro :D

Keep recording - more you do it; more comfortable you get; also don't worry if you have some pauses without commentary - but then I tend to do a lot of rpg videos and mmos; so tend to concentrate :D Most of all.....just have fun;

Associate
OP
Yeah i agree with the mic, going to have a look and hopefully order a decent mic this afternoon :)

I'm certainly starting to feel that I am getting more comfortable talking while playing, hopefully my commentary will get better and better with less pauses

Thanks for the feedback and comment on video

Associate
OP
One question I was wondering, has anyone else used streaming (twitch etc) as a means of promoting your youtube channel? I wasn't really planning on doing any streaming but thinking it could be good way of gaining subscribers?

Associate
OP
Just a bit of an update I have now got a much better mic (Blue yeti) I love it :)

So now videos should sound a bit better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzLMNG1Yc_k

It still takes a bit of getting used to, with the gain set in the middle, as in above video i thinks its a bit to sensitive, so going to try turning it down a little so it doesn't pick up every slight movement or click i make.

Also looking at trying audacity with OBS so that I can record seperate audio tracks, then I guess i should be able to edit mic audio separately to game sounds.

Associate
OP
Anyone able to have a quick check to compare the audio between the two, ie. much improved? still to much background noise?

Caporegime
I had a quick listen last night and to me, it sounds like there's some background noise. The problem that can arise from condenser type microphones (which I believe yours is) is that they are highly sensitive. I know this only too well.

Something like Audacity (free program) will help to clean up the audio. That and many other resources are included in the link I provided in #5. You might do better by posting in there, though that thread has gone very quiet for a while now.

I might take another listen later as it was only brief when I checked it out yesterday.

Edit: A while back I made a basic OBS tutorial/ramble on my channel (not a definitive guide so there may be some inaccuracies but it should still help). It's nothing advanced but it does cover a couple of things which might help your background noise, such as noise suppression and noise gates.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom