October Upgrade - Spec me - ~£1500

Soldato
No where in real world applications, you'll see even remotely
close to these extraordinary large numbers,
not to mention games - 11% ST and 51% MT.
Hopefully, you don't believe this crap.

Notice where I stated these are benchmark figures ? i.e Not real world applications. That is why I also said we need to see reviews.

Very unbalanced system with a CPU which won't last long enough
- one of the cheaper CPUs (Ryzen 5 1600) with the most expensive
graphics card (1080 Ti), how about no?

You realise that an R5 1600 will perform very similar to an 8 core R8 1800X in gaming ? Even more so at 4K.

Maybe you should do a bit more research before spouting off on here.

Also it is funny how you are calling my build unbalanced yet you suggested a 12 core cpu with a RX 560 earlier when the op specifically said he wants to game at 1440p or 4K.

Permabanned
Also it is funny how you are calling my build unbalanced yet you suggested a 12 core cpu with a RX 560 earlier when the op specifically said he wants to game at 1440p or 4K.

Let's realise that it's not honest to offer a configuration with half of its budget for a graphics card. If you were being honest, you'd see that I already proposed a much better overall, multi-purpose configuration with Ryzen 7 1700 and Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB HBM2.
He changed his first post, so your remark about the gaming isn't honest either.

Soldato
Let's realise that it's not honest to offer a configuration with half of its budget for a graphics card. If you were being honest, you'd see that I already proposed a much better overall, multi-purpose configuration with Ryzen 7 1700 and Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB HBM2.
He changed his first post, so your remark about the gaming isn't honest either.

An 8 core Ryzen cpu will make little difference for a gaming pc over a 6 core. If the op was doing lots of video editing/rendering etc then you would have a case for the R7 1700.

As for the gpu, a Vega 56 is a lot weaker than a GTX 1080 ti. You can get it towards a GTX 1080 if you flash the bios. Still not going to beat the 1080 ti. Of course if he wanted to go with a FreeSync monitor then sure a Vega 56 would be fine for 1440p. He did state a preference for Nvidia though.

I said your initial spec was awful (Assuming it was for gaming). I don't see anything wrong with that comment. I didn't just say it was awful without giving you a reason.

Permabanned
RX Vega 56 8GB HBM2 ~ Vega 64 BIOS level of performance would be perfectly fine.
No need to jump on the overpriced Nvidia cards.

I don't see which games he will play. Because CS, SC2, Dota, etc kind of games will run perfectly fine even on RX 560 haha.

Soldato
RX Vega 56 8GB HBM2 ~ Vega 64 BIOS level of performance would be perfectly fine.
No need to jump on the overpriced Nvidia cards.

I don't see which games he will play. Because CS, SC2, Dota, etc kind of games will run perfectly fine even on RX 560 haha.

He didn't mention the games but I am going to assume he will be playing some AAA titles or no point spending £1500 in the first place.

The op will need to decide if he wants Nvidia/G-Sync or AMD/FreeSync. As he stated a preference for Nvidia then the 1080 ti is the obvious choice for high end gaming at 1440p/165Hz or 4K as long as it doesn't impact any other areas of the build (Which it doesn't).

Permabanned
He didn't mention the games but I am going to assume he will be playing some AAA titles or no point spending £1500 in the first place.

The op will need to decide if he wants Nvidia/G-Sync or AMD/FreeSync. As he stated a preference for Nvidia then the 1080 ti is the obvious choice for high end gaming at 1440p/165Hz or 4K as long as it doesn't impact any other areas of the build (Which it doesn't).

165Hz when he now has two 60Hz Full HD screens? Why?
Well, he can save from the graphics card and redirect the investment to other premium components in his build.

Or better go for two RX Vega 56 8GB HBM2 (that's 2 times £390) in CrossFire then? :D

Associate
OP
Well, he can save from the graphics card and redirect the investment to other premium components in his build.

Or better go for two RX Vega 56 8GB HBM2 (that's 2 times £390) in CrossFire then? :D

800 quid for driver issues and all sorts of other issues? I'm good thanks. I'll be sticking to a single GPU.

While vega 64 costs about %30 less than the 1080ti, the benchmarks seem to show that it's not an extortionate price on the ti, high end gpu's usually fall far off on the performance per £, so this seems like pretty reasonable gains to me.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1937?vs=1939 T

Mostly playing siege right now, but I want this rig to be good for like 5 years. Future wise - I will likely pick up arma 3 again when I get this new rig, plus WH:TW2, PUBG/ME:A (both don't run on current rig), new Metro <3, Stellaris, plus I'm sure more will pop up in the future. I don't tend to follow game dev/hype train.

Associate
OP
A GTX 1080 ti will be a waste though unless you buy a high refresh rate 1440p monitor (Or a 4K one).

If you decide on 1440p then you could drop down to a B350 board and 550W psu.

You will also need to make sure your current case will support the parts i.e You will need an ATX case for the motherboard, and also clearance for the gpu length.

What case do you have by the way ?

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,535.59
(includes shipping: £11.70)

Thanks for that build, the mobo being listed as max 2666mhz ram won't matter? Seen this on all mobo's so guessing not.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, though I'd normally go for an aftermarket aircooler, was thinking dark rock this time round unless there's something better on the market, issue with that is the ram will be too high for it.

Also, how can you tell what ram is samsung b-die? I can't see it listed anywhere.

Are bitfenix psu's good? I was thinking of going with superflower/evga

Soldato
Thanks for that build, the mobo being listed as max 2666mhz ram won't matter? Seen this on all mobo's so guessing not.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, though I'd normally go for an aftermarket aircooler, was thinking dark rock this time round unless there's something better on the market, issue with that is the ram will be too high for it.

Also, how can you tell what ram is samsung b-die? I can't see it listed anywhere.

Are bitfenix psu's good? I was thinking of going with superflower/evga

The board will take 3200MHz Ram. One thing to note with the Gigabyte board is make sure you don't install F5 Bios as it has issues with the cpu vcore voltage. The F8 bios has supposedly fixed this.

I like the Cryorig coolers myself. The H5 universal and H7 can both be used with tall ram. There is also the Noctua D15S but the colour scheme isn't the greatest. The Alpenfohn Brocken 3 is also another cooler that doesn't block the ram slots. Just make sure you get an AM4 bracket either from ocuk or the manufacturer.

The 8Pack Team Group is B die. There are probably other kits but you would have to check with ocuk on that or ask in the memory section.

Total: £197.69
(includes shipping: £8.70)

The Bitfenix psu is a good unit. The only thing I am not keen on is the 24 pin cable as it is a bit bulky.

An alternative unit would be something like a Seasonic Focus or as you mention a SuperFlower Leadex/EVGA G2/G3 etc.

Last edited:
Soldato

A 165Hz 1440p G-Sync monitor would be far superior to a 60Hz 1920 x 1200 monitor. Same goes for a 4K monitor even though it will be 60Hz.

Soldato
slightly over but 144hz 1080p Freesync monitor - flash the Vega to 64 Bios and undervolt with OC and you'll save yourself £200+ and be inline with a GTX 1080 performance whilst saving on the GPU as well as G-Sync monitor

Total: £1,602.06
(includes shipping: £15.30)

Associate
OP
slightly over but 144hz 1080p Freesync monitor - flash the Vega to 64 Bios and undervolt with OC and you'll save yourself £200+ and be inline with a GTX 1080 performance whilst saving on the GPU as well as G-Sync monitor

Not looking to grab a monitor/ HDD or watercooling with this build, but looks like a well rounded build!

Soldato
Not looking to grab a monitor/ HDD or watercooling with this build, but looks like a well rounded build!

sorry, read that you were looking to upgrade in future as- " could he be nudged " - i even recommend a non Gigabte/Strix product to boot to... lol but will be awhile before the come and have feeling prices will go up - unless dollar gets a dip due to whats happened out there, which should happen - just seen my work email coming from Huston HQ - lot of oil not being produced - good for me at least lol

suggested the AIO as its about the same effort to installed as a high end Air cooler , and the Ryzen 7 once going does pump out some heat :)

Associate
OP
Okay, so now coffee lake is here I've been looking at this again.

This is what I have in my basket at the moment, could do with some feedback. For one thing, I want to try and get a 5ghz overclock, hence the ugly CPU cooler. Would like to know if there's anything that rivals the noctua and looks better? From OC3D's vids and others it seems to be the way to go.

Also which mobo should I go for? Does it matter? The gigabyte one in the basket gets £20 steam credit with it so that's as good as actual cashback to me.

black+green is my general aesthetic for the computer, already have black case with green fans etc.

Budget went out the window a bit, but if you could skimp on something in this what would you recommend?

Total: £2,073.61

Soldato

This is what I have in my basket at the moment, could do with some feedback. For one thing, I want to try and get a 5ghz overclock, hence the ugly CPU cooler. Would like to know if there's anything that rivals the noctua and looks better? From OC3D's vids and others it seems to be the way to go.

Also which mobo should I go for? Does it matter? The gigabyte one in the basket gets £20 steam credit with it so that's as good as actual cashback to me.

black+green is my general aesthetic for the computer, already have black case with green fans etc.

Budget went out the window a bit, but if you could skimp on something in this what would you recommend?

The D15 is one of the best high end coolers. You could look at the D15S as an alternative as it has better compatibility with Ram and top pcie slot. Some big coolers can block the top slot. I haven't seen any reviews of the 8700K so no idea what thermals are like.

I have always been a Gigabyte buyer myself so if I had to chose it would be Gigabyte > Asus and then MSI/ASRock. The Gigabyte Z170/270 boards were good so I don't see Z370 being any different.

If I had to skimp on something it would probably be cheaper Ram (3000MHz - 3200MHz kit) or a cheaper non NVMe SSD such as the 850 EVO/Crucial MX300. You could also go with a Gold psu such as the Bitfenix Whisper (If you don't mind the ugly 24 pin cable).

Associate
OP
The D15 is one of the best high end coolers. You could look at the D15S as an alternative as it has better compatibility with Ram and top pcie slot. Some big coolers can block the top slot. I haven't seen any reviews of the 8700K so no idea what thermals are like.

I have always been a Gigabyte buyer myself so if I had to chose it would be Gigabyte > Asus and then MSI/ASRock. The Gigabyte Z170/270 boards were good so I don't see Z370 being any different.

If I had to skimp on something it would probably be cheaper Ram (3000MHz - 3200MHz kit) or a cheaper non NVMe SSD such as the 850 EVO/Crucial MX300. You could also go with a Gold psu such as the Bitfenix Whisper (If you don't mind the ugly 24 pin cable).

Cheers for the feedback again, the whisper is rated well on jonnyguru atleast. Would you say 850W is about the sweet spot for a build like this?

Soldato

good luck getting one. Could just go i5 8400 for £180 as a stop gap- will serve you perfectly well according to reviews until 8700k is in plentiful stock and no not at inflated prices! can still run high ram speeds with the z board with that chip ! Aorus Ultra is a cracking board and one of the most common used in reviews- seems gigabyte got a lot out, speciall china were NDA was broken an hour early :D

Associate
OP
Had I realised they would have such bad stock issues I would have ordered when it went live on the site. Put an order through early today so hopefully I'm somewhere high up in the waitlist lol

Back
Top Bottom