What right do we have? TV return.

Soldato
Need some advice guys.

My dad bought a 55" TV from Argos, he ordered it online and it was delivered the same day, it arrived on Friday.

He took the set out the box and set it up. It hasn't been powered on. Unfortunately he doesn't like the look of it and would like to return it.

I contacted Argos who refused to take it back unless the set was faulty.

Is that correct?

Cheers

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Irrelevant if the TV is faulty or not, you are protected to return the unit to Argos within 14 days of receipt as it is a distance-placed order. They cannot refuse the refund as it is not a CD, DVD or software, or perishable or personalised item. They can refund basic delivery costs (which likely won't be what was paid for same day delivery) and they can make a deduction in the refund as it is open box - although this point could be argued as you would have needed to inspect the item upon receipt anyway.

Don't let up, be firm, cause a fuss on their social media if needs be.

Soldato
OP
Irrelevant if the TV is faulty or not, you are protected to return the unit to Argos within 14 days of receipt as it is a distance-placed order. They cannot refuse the refund as it is not a CD, DVD or software, or perishable or personalised item. They can refund basic delivery costs (which likely won't be what was paid for same day delivery) and they can make a deduction in the refund as it is open box - although this point could be argued as you would have needed to inspect the item upon receipt anyway.

Don't let up, be firm, cause a fuss on their social media if needs be.

Thanks, spoke on chat and they agreed to a return. I went down the inspect upon receipt route and the TV hasn't even been switched on. Have it all confirmed by email and they are picking up the TV this week.

Cheers all...

Soldato
OP
Just found out it took him a whole day to unbox and get the stand on it. He was trying to turn it on with no batteries in the remote etc. At least the return will ease things.

Man of Honour
Amazing how clear the law is on this and whoever you spoke with at Argos is trying to refuse it. That person needs a good slapping.

Some TVs come with software that technically make them exempt from being returned unless faulty and I know the policy at a couple of retailers is to deny a return if the customer has just changed their mind in the first instance because if they do accept a return they have to process it as faulty internally.

EDIT: With Argos it should tell you pretty plainly on the receipt what your rights to return are - on the back it lists their general policy and on the front you should see notations specific to your purchase as some items might come with specific exemptions or have an additional longer return period, etc. not sure if online orders have the same but I'd assume it would be on the paperwork but IIRC they send you an email with the same info as the in store receipt as well.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm amazed places like Currys have returns policies that are so lenient still on TV's, over on avforums you get the OCD types returning like 9 TV's for faults that are down to the technology, e.g. Backlight uniformity on LED's or banding on OLED's, silly thing is at the moment they can redeem a 6 month Netflix code on each new LG OLED so some have built up hundreds of pounds worth of Netflix credit that will last them years.

Man of Honour
Eventually they will end up ruining return policies, etc. for every one but they don't care. Though with TV/monitor technology to a degree I have some sympathy as the quality that the manufacturers seem to deem acceptable is shocking.

Back
Top Bottom