HDR vs 4K for Gaming: The Breakdown

Associate
4k 144hz HDR GSync 1ms is my dream monitor
any advice which monitor should I get for an 800 budget for a 1080 I just got?

I am in the same situation. I am looking at the Acer Predator XB321HK but waiting for black friday and expecting some miracle price drops :D

4k 144hz HDR GSync 1ms is my dream monitor
Does it exist?

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate

I am in the same situation. I am looking at the Acer Predator XB321HK but waiting for black friday and expecting some miracle price drops :D

Does it exist?

The Acer XB321HK 2016 to 2018 panel chipset problem and acer still can't fix it. I have sent back my XB321HK to acer two times already now I am hoping to get a refund the worse company I had to deal with just for a repair the monitor only last me 8 months.

Associate
Evening guys,

I have just bought an LG gaming monitor. As I try to play a game or even on Xbox home screen it comes up with HDR in top right corner of screen and then just keeps flashing black?? Monitor is under a week old? Would appreciate any help, thanks

Soldato

Seems to be a bit of a minefield currently. =/
This video is totally pointless as you can't show what HDR looks like with a non HDR video and this youtuber is asking which one looks better :D

Someone correct me if am wrong here but i cannot get this video to play in HDR

Last edited:
Soldato
This video is totally pointless as you can't show what HDR looks like with a non HDR video and this youtuber is asking which one looks better :D

Someone correct me if am wrong here but i cannot get this video to play in HDR

You cannot show 100% accurate HDR using an SDR screen or if the video is not encoded in HDR. HDR you can tonemap HDR recordings into SDR videos which still shows some of the HDR vs SDR differences, but no its not 100% accurate

Permabanned
For me HDR is the best aspect of 4k/HDR. I love the colours and the contrast and it can really add a lot to the picture.

HOWEVER!

Ive had two monitors that had HDR and it was underwhelming at best. They were not cheap monitors either (Acer Predator cost £1200) but between average implementation and the fact that with a lot of gaming monitors it feels tacked on ,it never seemed to look right in Windows.

Then I bought the LGCX48. Windows and HDR now works perfectly and what a difference it has made. The contast between light and dark is stunning and things like coming out of a pitch black cave and daylight making you squint while your eyes adjust is amazing. For me the best part of the jump to 4k was the colours it offered and HDR just takes it one step further. I ended up buying the CX55 for my consoles downstairs I was so impressed overall.

Soldato
Then I bought the LGCX48. Windows and HDR now works perfectly and what a difference it has made. The contast between light and dark is stunning and things like coming out of a pitch black cave and daylight making you squint while your eyes adjust is amazing. For me the best part of the jump to 4k was the colours it offered and HDR just takes it one step further. I ended up buying the CX55 for my consoles downstairs I was so impressed overall.
HDR has nothing to do with that.
It's all about self emissive pixels of OLED having real black, which gives that "depth" to image.

And colour gamut wise CX48 is actually mediocre failing to reach even DCI-P3 in greens.
But that real black and pixel level contrast kinda compensates for that.

Soldato
My monitor is HDR 400 which is one of the lower end HDR versions and I tend to have it on rather than disabled as I do find in games mostly it's better visuals, in driving games and open world panoramas etc.
It can be a bit off putting sometimes though when it gets confused and the screen will dim or brighten up on the fly...

...but thats mostly only obvious when I'm watching say a movie on VLC, the control bar is quite light so it will make it think to darken the screen overall. Until the control bar auto hides itself and you can see it brighten up again!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom