Help. I made boo-boo

Soldato
Hah, so I just went full loop the other week with CPU and GPU blocks and a 360mm rad. All good, but my temps maxing at 55C (which yeah, is good I guess) - I wanted to dissipate a little more heat and make a few changes to my loop like re-orientating my GPU and adding a drain valve ('cause I foolishly forgot about it). So I ordered my bits, and a 120mm rad to go on the exhaust of the case. See the results in the pics below.

4EPVwBV.jpg
P0ejogB.jpg

As you can see, there's no rad on the exhaust. "BUT WHY HOWLING?!" I hear you ask. Well.... it doesn't freaking fit! So I'm stuck here with a rad sat in a box while I sit here trying to find a way utilising it. I thought mounting the rad on the outer side of the case - yeah, seems good - but I don't know how to get water out there.
My case is the Thermaltake View 27 Mid Tower. Any thoughts? As it stands, I might have to return the rad (though I don't want to).

Permabanned
Drill holes in the case and use pass through fittings. Or an you not use a spare pci slot cover? Perhaps even mounting your rad on a stand.

Something like this maybe.
watercooling-pci-slot-cover__88958_zoom.jpg

Soldato
OP
Actually, the PCI slot is a great idea. A single slot is a little small to get tubing through, but with some strategic "bending" of the separating bar between 2 slots it fits perfectly :o Now I need to buy some angled fittings so I don't kink the tube as the positioning of the rad outside the case is a little awkward. It might not look too pretty running the tubing through a PCI slot, but it'll do the trick :]

Soldato
OP
Which radiator did you buy because in Guru3D's new's piece on your case the second picture shows a 120mm radiator mounted at the rear exhaust position.

Hmmm, you're right - I don't know how they've managed that. The space there is literally JUST big enough to fit a 120mm fan in, it's a snug fit between the IO panel hole in the case and the edge of the case. I bought the EK Coolstream PE120 (got the XE360 on the front) and there's literally no chance of it fitting as it's notably wider than a 120mm fan.

Permabanned
I have an EK SE120 rad and couldn't fit it in my case due to it being to tall (port end) and hitting against the pci slots, I used a magicool type one instead which fitted fine.

Soldato
OP
Ok so I added the rad on the exterior, case doesn't close now but I can live with that ... but 360mm = 56C max temps... 360mm + 120mm = 62C max. How...wha...who...huh?

Associate
Indeed, that sounds like trapped air creating some sort of blockage/lack of surface air contact.

Was room temp the same as always?

Soldato
OP
Yep, all the air is out of the system now. But I'm still getting slightly confusing temps - max still 56C :( The extra rad seems to have done absolutely nothing as far as heat dissipation, same idles - same loads - roughly same time to max. Nevermind, what's done is done :p

Soldato
Yep, all the air is out of the system now. But I'm still getting slightly confusing temps - max still 56C :( The extra rad seems to have done absolutely nothing as far as heat dissipation, same idles - same loads - roughly same time to max. Nevermind, what's done is done :p

56'C for cooling both CPU+GPU is fine what's your room ambient temperature your overclocking as well don't forget, you can add more radiators but it reach's a point were it does not improve temps.

I'm cooling both CPU+Hybrid GPU[980Ti Poseidon] at 21'c playing BF1 64 man server, GPU varies around 54'c and CPU 5820K:4.2 temperature varies as well but runs cooler than the GPU..

If I increase the CPU to 4.5 my temps for the GPU varies around 56'c again CPU runs cooler, using one external 560 radiator with 140mm fans fans not going over 700rpm.

Back
Top Bottom