4790K OC questions

Associate
I'm overclocking my 4790K.

Just curious, as the last thing I OC'd was sandybridge, how important is it to mess with the cache? Can I just have LLC on, Spread Spectrum off, and set my vcore manually and my multiplier manually and away I go just like on sandy?

Thanks.

Also I have downloaded a 2014 edition of AIDA64 extreme. Is this sufficient for stress testing? Prime95 was roasting the CPU.

OcUK Staff
Real Bench is also decent and of course using the PC.

Leave Cache initially just max out the core and test. Then max out the cache after core. It does give afew percent boost especially in multi-core tasks so is worth doing.

With FIVR technology chips tune VCCIN can yield extra mhz for sure on the core especially.

Associate
OP
Real Bench is also decent and of course using the PC.

Leave Cache initially just max out the core and test. Then max out the cache after core. It does give afew percent boost especially in multi-core tasks so is worth doing.

With FIVR technology chips tune VCCIN can yield extra mhz for sure on the core especially.

Do you have a detailed guide you could link?

Man of Honour
Just be aware that to get a decent overclock you may have to delid the cpu. Mine was running at silly temps even at voltages under 1.3v so I decided to borrow a delidding tool and delid it. Once delidded I saw that the Intel stock paste had set like rock and was a pain to remove. Once it was finally cleaned up I put nail varnish on the chips so that the CLU wouldn't short them out, CLU applied between the die and IHS and relidded again using the attachment for the tool I had borrowed. It was well worth doing because I saw a whopping drop of 25 degrees C which was most likely due to the stock paste setting like concrete. Now that temps were under control I got back to overclocking and while I can hit 4.9Ghz using 30 minute loops of Asus Realbench stress test I can only get 4.6Ghz stable in Prime which is quite disappointing.

Associate
OP
I've found that 1.24V is as high as I want to go with vCore, which gives me max temps of 72 in BF1, my most demanding game, with occasional momentary peaks to 76 on my hottest core. I don't know how long I will have to stick with this CPU so I don't want to run it hot.

Currently at 4.5Ghz and slowly working my way up. VRM temp sensor is peaking at 72C. Don't want to go hotter than that.

I went to OC my cache and found that my motherboard had already done it for me when I overclocked my CPU, and both the CPU and cache are stable at 4500Mhz.

I have to say, compared to my previous board, the very high end Maximus IV Extreme, this board has more solid voltage regulation, which is hilarious as I paid a couple of bucks over $100 for this board and my last board was over $400. I set 1.24V and I get 1.241V. Also clocks are always within 1Mhz of where I set them in HWmonitor. Very nice for a cheap board. Again I don't know if this is the norm since Haswell and things have evolved since the sandy days, but I am very impressed with this garbage board I picked up in 2014.

Soldato
I've found that 1.24V is as high as I want to go with vCore, which gives me max temps of 72 in BF1, my most demanding game, with occasional momentary peaks to 76 on my hottest core. I don't know how long I will have to stick with this CPU so I don't want to run it hot.

Currently at 4.5Ghz and slowly working my way up. VRM temp sensor is peaking at 72C. Don't want to go hotter than that.

I went to OC my cache and found that my motherboard had already done it for me when I overclocked my CPU, and both the CPU and cache are stable at 4500Mhz.

I have to say, compared to my previous board, the very high end Maximus IV Extreme, this board has more solid voltage regulation, which is hilarious as I paid a couple of bucks over $100 for this board and my last board was over $400. I set 1.24V and I get 1.241V. Also clocks are always within 1Mhz of where I set them in HWmonitor. Very nice for a cheap board. Again I don't know if this is the norm since Haswell and things have evolved since the sandy days, but I am very impressed with this garbage board I picked up in 2014.

Nice OC that. I was getting 4.7Ghz on my Gigabyte Z97X-UD30Black Edition. But tbh not sure it's worth you OC'ing since at stock the 4790k boosts to 4.4Ghz anyway :/

Permabanned
Some motherboards have the option to boost them all to 4400MHz, I know mine does but that's probably something I've changed.

These CPU's are not worth overclocking, for benchmarking I can go up-to 4800 but the voltage requirement and temp increase gets a bit silly.

Man of Honour
Intel's spec for the 4790k is base clock 4Ghz, boost 4.2ghz on two cores and 4.4Ghz on a single core but some motherboards automatically force the boost on all cores, mine is one of them. See here for Intel specs, particularly point #2.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ofcourse not.

Set Vcore 1.4 or so. Max out CPU multi. Cache 1.25 max out cache. VCCIN 1.7-1.9 test. No guide needed just don't do crazy load stress testing and monitor temps.

Betting the 1.4 is a typo or something, more suitable max for Skylake/Kabylake on decent air like his Noctua NH-U14S. 1.3v for Haswell/Devil's Canyon?

After you're sure you're stable, you could mess with lowering LLC, can drop temps substantially in some cases, as long as it doesn't affect stability.

Soldato
My chip is a decent one and does 4.7GHz at like 1.22v or something (its been a while), which is great considering 1.2v was stock volts for me

However, 4.8GHz took about 1.29v, which was uncontrollable for me on air with a noctua D14. Even 100% fan speed was putting it in the very high 80s with realbench. Personally, I felt a lot better at 4.7Ghz which still put me in the low 80s (at normal fan speeds) during realbench.

I then delidded it and installed custom watercooling. 4.9GHz took stupid volts (1.39v from memory, probably wasn't even stable anyway) and I couldn't even boot into windows at 1.45v @ 5GHz

So after all that messing around I'm still rocking 4.7GHz even under custom water, as its just not worth the extra volts IMO, even if it doesn't break 50c now, it just seams "wasteful" to me to go past the sweet spot even if my cooling can handle it.

I guess the point of this is that the chip is hot as hell unless you delid it, so go careful with them volts unless you really don't care about noise at all, even then make sure you real world temps are not crazy

Back
Top Bottom