***The Wine Thread***

Soldato
Hey everyone need a bit of advice :).

Chasing tail at work, she brought me some nice beers in the other day aswell as some stunning sweet apple and cinnamon pastry that she baked for me.

I want to get her a nice bottle of red wine but I am absolutely clueless when it comes to wine. She really enjoys very sweet red wines and not overly strong.

Few recommendations of various prices would be really appreciated.

Soldato
Soldato
When she says 'sweet' are you sure she doesn't mean sweet flavours? I.e. some of the overt flavours of oak: vanilla, caramel, spice etc?

If it's sweetness then I'd go Maury - if it's sweet flavours then the anniversary we bang on about is a good bet. Or maybe the chocolate block.

Soldato
Too strong for your missus, at 14%. She wants low ABV which implies that the fermentation is stopped early, leaving residual sugar (hence sweetness).

Thanks for that,
Isn't "sweet nectar" just a common saying? Not necessarily meaning it tastes sweet?
That's what I thought.

Never having heard it, i would have never interpreted it to not necessarily being sweet.

Given i don't want to wait too long to get her something i have been having another read over this page that Tuppy linked. I have ordered some Contero Brachetto d'Acqui DOCG. Around 6% Fruity and sweet.

Hopefully it will go down well, if not i will take the hit :D.

Soldato
So i have quick time cancelled that order! was having a chat tonight instead of working and i got her to show me her favourite wine via my phone. " Porto ruby wine " and discussing this she said it's about 17-20%. Lost from my first translation lol. ( shes polish so some things come out skewed. )

Any recommendations of a good one of those mentioned :D?

Sorry btw i really don't know my alcohol outside of beer.

taB

taB

Associate
That is low alc compared to normal Polish drinking :).

So, that's just Ruby Port and available in loads of places. Fonseca probably my favourite but you can't really go wrong with Dow, Graham, Cockburn et al. You should get something competent for a tenner.

Soldato
You could try and bring her back from the excessive sweetness of port and into the wine fold by giving her some Cabalie Black Label. It is sweet and strong but most definitely a wine. Or the stuff our random friend was on about.

Soldato
Maury! Or 10yo Taylor's tawny (20 or 30 yo if you really want to, ahem, y'know...).

Only saying Taylor's due to availability and decent QPR. Ramos pinto, Grahams, kopke, krohn etc also good. I just got back from porto - if she doesn't want you send her my way ;)

Back
Top Bottom