Shall I get SSD or HDD

Soldato
Hi all

Gathering all my parts for a new build and I'm not sure what I should get to store all my games on..

SSD or HDD?

Obviously HDD 1tb is cheaper than a SSD, Is there any reasons why one may be Better than the other... I bought a 120GB western digital M.2 to install windows on now thinking of others to go inside the case..

Soldato
I was looking at the Seagate 7200rpm 1Tb HDD's earlier, I'm tempted to purchase one...

I don't like the consumer based Seagate drives as there failure rate appears high, there is a thread on Seagate failure rates on this forum. As it's a games drive and you can easily re-install it's far less an issue however

Soldato
Any other recommendations bud

Western Digital, used loads of the years and never known one to fail. The very best are the Black and the RE drives (both of these drives are physically built better than the lower end drives, they also have dual controllers for performance), however that's perhaps overkill for a games drive.

Soldato
Western Digital, used loads of the years and never known one to fail. The very best are the Black and the RE drives (both of these drives are physically built better than the lower end drives, they also have dual controllers for performance), however that's perhaps overkill for a games drive.

I've got a WD black 1TB. Had it for years. How come it's still expensive, and only 2TB is available?

Soldato
I've got a WD black 1TB. Had it for years. How come it's still expensive, and only 2TB is available?

Re still on 2TB, it's probably because it's a workstation drive. There designed for high IO such as database read writes, also extended long use, I expect WD consider higher density less reliable.

EDIT, just had a google WD Blacks come in 6TB now!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

I had a WD in one of my older builds, Didnt know Seagate had high failure rates :eek:

Soldato
My setup 128GB M.2 to boot. M.2 512GB to play my current games. As most of my games are Steam based I use the Steam backup feature to export to HDD for long term to save on bandwidth if I want to install them again. Then you only have to re-install locally and let the Steam client install the latest patches.

I have NAS, external USB 3.0 caddie and hot swap bays available for HDDs. I haven't had SSD/HDD installed in my system for a couple of years now. I don't like cables :)

Back
Top Bottom