I am out of my depth - Extracting files etc

Soldato
I have just purchased a Android 7.1 radio for my car - I need a map card not a phone for the navigation.
Pumpkin who are sellers of these radios will supply a link to iGo maps for free so ordered it and here it is

Thanks for your purchase!
There is no SD card included in the package, hope you understand.
You can download google or waze map software or other navigation app.
If you want to use the offline map, you can download the map software from this link:

https://mega.nz/#!Jc0XnSgQ!m1wI4_byJ_Tvekq_MN_R-gjwCZgHBHi3aOxOK07rBEs

Please download the map files, unzip it. Then please prepare an empty SD card (8GB), and then copy all the files to the SD card and inset it to the GPS card slot.
Then pls go to EOM--APK--GPS Card and you can install the IGO map app.
Best regards!

Now my problems started - Clicked link and message came up "Cyberfox does not have enough memory use Chrome" - downloaded Chrome and clicked link - Took hours but finally got link into my download file.

I then downloaded WinRAR to open file - No Luck - I then clicked link and opened it and it installed MEGAsync (Kim Dot.Com fame) - So at moment I can find the file to open but no idea how to get it in WinRAR - If I could I can probably work out the rest but at moment things are very close to being thrown out of the window.

In a nut shell I have absolutely no idea what I am doing except poking and hoping which I have to admit works most of time. :confused::confused:

I am at the point of uninstalling everything that had come in and deleting all of the files and starting again.

I hate these stupid senior moments..

Soldato
OP
Tried that an it wasn't there at time - went into garage -put head on the block -hit it with hammer a few times - came in and it all made sense - Now got to stage of installed app on radio but it doesn't open - So more head banging.

Thanks

Associate
Just guessing:
The total file size that you're downloading is 4.3GBs.
I'm not familiar with the Android Radio, but non rooted Android devices usually need their storage (internal/external) formatting to FAT/FAT32 (or whatever it's called).
This formatting doesn't allow you to use files over 4GB ish. Storage that's been formatted to NTFS (like Windows OS) can read/write files over 4GBs and would be able to work with the downloaded file.
But, I'm not sure if the Android Radio would even work with a card formatted to NTFS.

Soldato
OP
File size is 6.4 gb - They suggest 8gb SD card formatted to Fat 32 which I have done - So far everything I have done is in line with the instructions - even to installing it on android radio but it is asking for me to insert a SD card with maps on when I click on iGo to open maps up. - but it is already in - so **** up somewhere on my part- Still -- got all of this week to sort it then if not all of next week -

I love messing with things I know nothing about.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Soldato
Try formatting the drive as exFAT. That should allow files bigger than 4GB but still works under android.

edit: this probably isn't the issue as you wouldn't be putting the rar archive on the SD card. You'd extract in to a folder on the pc first and then copy the contents to the SD card.

Associate
I am guessing its looking at wrong path for the map files.
First use a file explorer app on your android unit to see the current sdcard path where you extracted your map files.
Then Find .ini config file something like ( igo.nextgen.ini ) and edit them in pc with a notepad++ or any other editor. If app is installed in internal memory then look for it using android file explorer.
Check path to where the files are.
Considering its android it could be something like
/sdcard/iGO
/sdcard2/iGO
/sdcard/sd/iGO
/storage/iGO
/storage/extSdCard/iGO

Soldato
OP
Thanks so far - I really need a expert but will try it all when wife is back with the car.

Group on left is files before I loaded them to memory stick -- group on right is on memory stick - it has gained a folder called Lost.DIR - does that tell anyone anything.

I did load and uninstall this prog a few times - I assume those file have been extracted from link I downloaded with MEGAsync. - It's all new to me.

413549246.jpg

Associate
Did u install 9.6.29.329069.apk in your car unit. If not uninstall previous versions of iGO and install this instead.
Maps should be inside "content" folder.
sys.txt should contain config settings.
ui android folder should contain more settings file for resolution i believe.

If above fails try keeping to following folder structure in your sdcard.

In your sdcard create a new folder called iGO
Extract or copy contents of your zip file to sdcard://iGO/
So folder structure is as below:

sdcard://iGO/content/
sdcard://iGO/debug/
sdcard://iGO/gfx/
sdcard://iGO/licence/
and so on ....

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes I did install 9.6.29.329069 in car unit.
Maps are in content folder
sys.txt does contain things like "extra settings -speedcam -- boot-service" along with loads more.

As I said before the program loads but when you touch iGo icon it then asks for you to insert map card. - obviously not reading maps.

Will have to read this for a while to get my head around it - You don't live near Shropshire do you ? :)

Young lad from over the road came over and took me through Google maps - I understand them more now but they are something I didn't want -- but at end of the day I might have to go down that route.

Thanks for the input so far - much appreciated.

Associate
No i am in London xD
its being long time since i ve used an android unit with iGO, reason i suggested reinstalling was because there are different versions out there which some of them run only from an internal memory while others also use sdcard for content xD
Did you try having iGO folder as main root folder and everything else moved inside it ?

Also in sys.txt you should have a section called "[folders]"
Compare the paths there with the real paths you see in your android unit. Use a file explorer in your android unit and navigate to content folder and write down the full path and add it to "[folders]" section in sys.txt if its not there already.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for trying but I am out of my depth now - I struggled on basic at night school trying to program my Spectrum - I gave up in the end and Spectrum is in loft almost unused.

I will try tomorrow - I haven't given up yet - it just depends on how obvious it is.-- Oh dear me- All this because I couldn't get an updated card for my 8 yr old built in sat nav- - But the USB has failed and CD won't play so didn't really have much choice. I will get there one way or another.

Soldato
OP
Have you considered just using Google Maps instead? Anything iGo offers that Google doesn't?

I am trying google maps at the moment to get me by but that isn't what I want - I want a stand alone sat nav with a sat nav card but on my Android radio - The old radio- Xtrons - (9months old) that packed up came with Kudos maps on a card which is reason I purchased it. - Since then no one does Android radios with sat nav card - They just think everyone has and can work and understand Smart phones. I can tell you my wife does not and I am bare bones on it.

If you purchase a Pumpkin radio they will give you a link to iGo that goes on a micro SD card - you are supposed to put it in GPS slot and it will work - Well mine doesn't - "Yet"

Soldato
Also in sys.txt you should have a section called "[folders]"
Compare the paths there with the real paths you see in your android unit. Use a file explorer in your android unit and navigate to content folder and write down the full path and add it to "[folders]" section in sys.txt if its not there already.
as he says

should be something like
[folders]
linked_root_list="/sdcard/iGO"
has_secondary_root=1
android_secondary_root_path="/ext_card/iGO"

why not post the file contents.

Soldato
OP
Got to go out soon so will look when get back.

This Android has 7.1 and it is different to all the others I have googled - I think it's supposed to be less hassle as there is far less pages to go through.

You are both asking me to do something I have no idea about so it might be a good learning curve or throw it though the window fix. - I normally only work with plug and play. :)

Soldato
OP
At the moment I am putting this SD card on hold for a while - Going to persevere with Google maps - Used it to guide me home yesterday and it seemed to do what I need except for it being a bit irrational - need to set arrow up all time.

Thanks for the help lads.

Back
Top Bottom