Rees-Mogg: increased usage of food banks 'uplifting'

Soldato
Not good taste? That's your opinion. He appreciates the workmanship of furniture of a bygone era, if you think taste is flat pack/mass produced furniture then I feel sorry for you. Also, you make money, antiques are great investment, they hold value most often than not, and if you know what you're doing, they will go up in value.

Also, it's not a random combination, it's all Georgian furniture pretty much

Here's some 3500 year old tack for you..
http://mentalfloss.com/article/64771/15-pharaonic-objects-buried-tuts-tomb

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not good taste? That's your opinion. He appreciates the workmanship of furniture of a by gone era, if you think taste is flat pack/mass produced furniture then I feel sorry for you.

Also, it's not a random combination, it's all Georgian furniture pretty much

Big assumptions about my life style there.

Just throwing a load of period furniture/pieces or whatever into a room indiscriminately doesn't equal good taste - I don't even see appreciation in that room its ostentatious for ostentatious' sake.

Soldato
Big assumptions about my life style there.

Just throwing a load of period furniture/pieces or whatever into a room indiscriminately doesn't equal good taste - I don't even see appreciation in that room its ostentatious for ostentatious' sake.

It just comes across as bitter though, if he likes it then that's what matters, some people like Edwardian, some people like Scandinavian contemporary furniture, each to their own.

But I would agree on the colour of the sofa's :o

Man of Honour
No intention of bitterness on my part - I've enough money to decorate my place however I want within reason :s I'm just not a fan of gaudy.

Soldato
What type of furniture do buy then?
If you don't want to spend money on furniture and you'd rather spend it on other things then that's fine but I don't see how antiques can be considered gaudy, especially when they can go up in value.
It's the same as sticking your money in stocks and shares, except you actually get to see your investment everyday, a tangible asset

Man of Honour
Something can be garish and gaudy irrespective of its value.

My life is pretty "functional" at the moment - most of my "furniture" is multi-tier storage units and really useful boxes :D won't be spending a lot on furniture unless I'm settled down - most of my money goes into savings.

Soldato
Why would one want to be connected to the working class? We should create a society in which people aspire not to be working class, not one where we pander to their squalor and bitterness.

We'd already done that, it's just the uppity right wingers never lost their bitterness and got upset when we needed to import the foreign working class to do the jobs we didn't want to do anymore.....so they had a tantrum of self harming and are now revelling in the prospect of a return to squalor ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah, sure, I worded that wrong tbf.

I know what you are getting at and end of the day whatever makes people happy - lack of subtlety kind of rubs me the wrong way - I'm one for understate style and I think good taste needs a balance of subtle as well as less subtle elements.

Thug
Soldato
Working class doesn't mean 'has a job'.

Within reason I think it kind of does, the world has changed and most prior working class jobs have gone and are now the people who sit in front of PCs, accountants, lawyers etc

And yes would class myself in this category, even though I would be considered to be fairly affluent now.

Middle class etc is the directors and the like, captains of industry if you will.

And upper class hasn't really changed.

Soldato
Goes to show how threatened the left are of the Mogg. The first page is saltier than the dead sea :D

Personally i do agree with 90% of what he says in general. And the comments on the first 2 pages just shows that some cannot hear what he says and cannot hear anything but a posh voice, if they stop to actually listen to what he says he is actually a very reasonable and intelligent man. But they rather play the man instead of the ball. That's what the left always do, talking about idiotic things like his taste in decor, really?? That's his personal choice and **** all to do with his politics.

I would like to see the abortion limit reduced to 8 weeks and only for cases of rape and incest. Quarter of a million babies are aborted every year, that's whats abhorrent

Soldato
Goes to show how threatened the left are of the Mogg.

Threatened? :D The guy is a berk

I just find it hilarious that anyone 'working class' feels they have a connection with this privileged, eton educated banker :p

if they stop to actually listen to what he says he is actually a very reasonable and intelligent man.

I don't doubt he is intelligent, but go look at his voting record, it shows he is hardly reasonable

Quarter of a million babies are aborted every year, that's whats abhorrent

That's odd, as most right wingers keep banging on about how we're full in this country and need to reduce the population, now you are advocating increasing the population by quarter of a million per year.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Threatened really, no its not a threat its more a matter of utter disgust.

I hope Mogg gets the leadership it`s actually worse than May and everyone thought it could not be possible.

So go vote for your outdated, maligned rich kid with a pick n value religion.

Soldato
Threatened? :D The guy is a berk

The word Dangerous being thrown around in a SC thread and the quick amount of derision heaped on him tells me otherwise

I just find it hilarious that anyone 'working class' feels they have a connection with this privileged, eton educated banker :p

Correct me if i'm wrong but i don't he once ever claimed or even try to give the impression that he was connected to the 'working class'. Just he his views seem to ring true to a lot of people from all groups.

I don't doubt he is intelligent, but go look at his voting record, it shows he is hardly reasonable

Not to you perhaps (like how unreasonable Corbyn is to me) but he is to a heck of a lot of people

That's odd, as most right wingers keep banging on about how we're full in this country and need to reduce the population, now you are advocating increasing the population by quarter of a million per year.

Jesus christ dude really? I know you're trying to get a rise out of people but that's just ******* dark :( . That doesn't warrant a real reply

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Goes to show how threatened the left are of the Mogg. The first page is saltier than the dead sea :D

Politically he's dead in the water if he goes anywhere near the front bench though. Everybody knows this, even the Tories. Mogg killed whatever chance he had when he came up with his views on marriage equality and womens' bodily autonomy.

If you ask me, the ongoing media assassination of his character is just swell by me. The world needs less Rees-Moggs walking around.

Soldato
Correct me if i'm wrong but i don't he once ever claimed or even try to give the impression that he was connected to the 'working class'. Just he his views seem to ring true to a lot of people from all groups.

I agree, he doesn't attempt to connect to the working class, that's why I find it funny when they try to connect with him :)

Not to you perhaps (like how unreasonable Corbyn is to me) but he is to a heck of a lot of people

How many people do you think have actually looked at his voting record to make an informed decision on that? :p

Jesus christ dude really? I know you're trying to get a rise out of people but that's just ******* dark :( . That doesn't warrant a real reply

Not really, when you have Chris and many others talking about a reduction in the population by at least a third, thats 20+ million people, how do you think that's going to happen?

It's easy to throw these things around in abstract terms, but the nitty gritty is people would have to die, you just seem to get all emotional when it's an unborn foetus *shrug*

My personal opinion is the woman has the ultimate right to do what she wants with her body and what's in it. We have a cut off point which is fair enough, balancing the time to make such a decision against the level of the foetus's development and ability to independently survive.

Soldato
Food banks could be solved by the state controlling the spending of benefit recipients, but that isn't favoured. There is no shortage of money in many cases,but a lack of sensible prioritization.

The problem with freedom is that some people use it badly, that doesn't follow that the most appropriate solution is to compensate them for their poor decision.

Dolph and the far right view that food bank users are all drink and drug addicts wasting their time watching Jeremy Kyle instead of trying for a job. I suppose this is the American food stamps idea. Typical sub-DM view and shows the poster is more out of touch than R-M.

Back
Top Bottom