Still possible to get a good, large 1080p TV?

Soldato
My main screen in the house is a P55VT65B (Panasonic Plasma, for those who aren't a fan of product codes) and I love it, but it's not really a screen that is suitable for gaming (PS4) as, well, it's a Plasma and it doesn't like static items on screen, no matter how well you use the gaming modes/options.

I'm considering buying a similarly-sized screen to be used for gaming and for 'background TV' when I'm in the kitchen (I have a nice large space where it can fit on the wall) but I'm struggling to find a suitable 1080p TV - my choices appear to be limited to a 4K.

Is it still possible to get a quality, 50" 1080p TV? And if so, what would that be?

Soldato
I think you'll struggle as all manufacturers are focused on 4k resolution panels now. Maybe join AVForums and look out for a second hand set? Failing that if you did buy a decent quality 4k panel they do tend to upscale content fairly well.

Caporegime
I used my Panasonic 42PWD6, 50PHD8 and 55VT50 Plasma screens for years to play games. Often for hours at a time, and I never won't had an issue with image retention. I think it's all overblown to be honest.

My advice - Forget a second TV and replace your VT65B with an LG OLED, as good as the Panny Plasmas were, the OLED is in a different league.

Or - Just game on the VT65.

Soldato
OP
Failing that if you did buy a decent quality 4k panel they do tend to upscale content fairly well.
I did a little testing in JL last night and the only set that gave me the upscaled picture quality I wanted came in around £1,300 for the size I was after.

Slightly expensive when I'm not going to be throwing any 4K content at it in the immediate future.

i not sure why you dont want a 4k tv ?
Price, mainly. And for what it will be used for (gaming and background TV whilst I'm in the kitchen) I can't really justify the expense.

And I can't really use the Plasma in its place, for my aforementioned reasons.

I never won't had an issue with image retention. I think it's all overblown to be honest.
I don't have Sky any longer and all my 'live' content is streamed from Netflix or Amazon, but even the channel indents on Sky would ghost image on my VT65. And watch a half of football or similar and you're getting the scores/team names ghosting on screen during the ad break.

Panasonic checked it out twice and said it was within spec, so I left it at that as I no longer have the static image issue to worry about. And while I will eventually go OLED when it pops, for now it's still amazing to watch stuff on.

Soldato
If you have a local Panasonic shop go into it. They normally have a list of old stock tvs at reduced prices.

If not I can visit my local and ask on your behalf. Whether they deliver is another thing. Might be just to my area.

Soldato
OP
John Lewis appear to have 2 Sony and a Panasonic that fit your criteria
Yeah, they might work. Don't suppose you have seen any credible reviews of the two sets, do you?

I get a bit of JLP discount so they are always my favourite place to shop for
If not I can visit my local and ask on your behalf. Whether they deliver is another thing. Might be just to my area.
That is incredibly kind of you to offer - if you find yourself passing, I'd love to know what you see. I travel with work so if your location is accurate, I'll be there in a week or two for a job.

Soldato
OP
I'd say the £600 mark was my target as an upper limit. I don't know Panasonic's range that well, but anything less than that is an option, providing the quality is there.

Thank you!

Soldato
Best 1080p tv available would be the LG910v - probably won't find any new but should be able to pick up second hand still in warranty for less than £800

Caporegime
I used my Panasonic 42PWD6, 50PHD8 and 55VT50 Plasma screens for years to play games. Often for hours at a time, and I never won't had an issue with image retention. I think it's all overblown to be honest.

My advice - Forget a second TV and replace your VT65B with an LG OLED, as good as the Panny Plasmas were, the OLED is in a different league.

Or - Just game on the VT65.

don't know how. if i watch a channel with a logo on it for 2-3 hours. it will easily retain the logo for a good 2-3 hours afterwards albeit faintly.

you mustn't be looking out for it or have poor eyesight. it happened a lot worse on my samsung plasma too. both modern plasmas within 2 years of them becoming EOL

Caporegime
I never really watched any channels with logos for hours on end.

Just games, which do tend to have static huds (though things like cut-scenes mean they do disappear frequently)

Soldato
1080 is still a cracking Resolution And many people are happy with that

I have no need for a 4K TV. All my sources are 1080p and below.

But if your 1080p went bang today, would you not be obliged to replace with a 4K ?
I think I would. (unless the new A7 lg fhd oled comes in at a sweet spot - I am dreaming)

Evolution of the panel technology at 4K (contrast, reliability ?), with increased processing power for good upscaling (4K is after all 2x 1080P, so the upscale of SD channels should not be any worse than a 1080p) means PQ should be improved, and a thus a 4K better value for money than a last generation 1080p, even 20% cheaper.

With the additional mips the input lag for gaming should be better on the 4K too.

Soldato
But if your 1080p went bang today, would you not be obliged to replace with a 4K ?
I think I would. (unless the new A7 lg fhd oled comes in at a sweet spot - I am dreaming)

Evolution of the panel technology at 4K (contrast, reliability ?), with increased processing power for good upscaling (4K is after all 2x 1080P, so the upscale of SD channels should not be any worse than a 1080p) means PQ should be improved, and a thus a 4K better value for money than a last generation 1080p, even 20% cheaper.

With the additional mips the input lag for gaming should be better on the 4K too.

Nope, if I needed a new TV none of my sources are 4K. Humax HD (free) so about <10 channels in 720p. DVD's and BD's 480p/580p or 1080p, scaled to 1080p. Unless I use the 4K TV as a 4K monitor, but then for gaming I'd need a new GPU and probably new CPU /system. 4K video is too large and streaming would be impossible.

Also my DVD and BD player scale to 1080p, so outputting that to 1080p then letting the TV scale the rest to 4K is not great. Multiple stages of scaling.

Soldato
Nope, if I needed a new TV none of my sources are 4K. Humax HD (free) so about <10 channels in 720p. DVD's and BD's 480p/580p or 1080p, scaled to 1080p. Unless I use the 4K TV as a 4K monitor, but then for gaming I'd need a new GPU and probably new CPU /system. 4K video is too large and streaming would be impossible.

I must have misunderstood, I have a humax fox t2 (free), I would use it on auto, so it would send the original uncompressed format direct to the 4k tv for upscaling,
(and I would be connecting the hdmi1.4 from the humax to the hdmi2.0 on the 4k tv). ... so there is no practical problem exploiting a 4k TV ?

Equally you could send 1080p from your existing gaming machine to a 4k tv ?

Also - I recently found 1080p tv PQ is better if you let the tv dnla access the original compressed stream on the humax, as I commented in another thread.

Soldato
I have a 1080p LG oled and it's absolutely fantastic.

Most of my content is 1080p anyway and at 55 inch and the distance I view at, I doubt 4k would look massively better anyway.

That said, when I next buy a TV it will most likely be a 4k oled.

Back
Top Bottom