Need some advice regarding a speeding offence.

Permabanned
I was recently flashed by a speed camera and was sent a letter to inform me that I was to pay a £100 fine and have 3pts put on my license as I was 2mph out the speed awareness course threshold. I'm not a dangerous driver but I hold my hands up I was breaking the law and accept the punishment.

Recently I've been applying for driving jobs (great timing to get 3pts I know..) after being made redundant and whilst signing up with a recruitment agency I was told the photo on my license had expired back in May. I thought I'd get something in the post to notify me about renewing my license but was told they don't do that anymore. I have 1 week to send my license off and pay the fine for the speeding offence (left this late as due to the redundancy funds are tight) which I was planning to do today. I am now worried if I send my license with the expired photo I'll get a fine. If I apply for a new license I need to wait for it to arrive before I can send that instead and that may not be before the window to pay the speeding fine has closed. What should I do? There is a number to call on the letter from the police for the road safety unit and I'm thinking of ringing them to explain but I'm worried revealing my license photo has expired will land me with a fine.

Please help.

Caporegime
I'd imagine the simplest course of action is to tell the police you've lost your license, but this will mean you can't comply with the terms of the FPN so it'll likely go to court. The outcome at court will most probably be identical to that of the NIP/FPN except you'll also be stung for court costs. The court costs will most likely be less than the fine for your license being non-compliant.

Soldato
but doesn't explain who the fine would come from?

Presumably the DVSA.

I had to renew mine a couple of years ago, and i thought i had a reminder about it.

TBH i'm amazed they don't have the same system as VED and supposedly issue you an automated fine if the system notices you've not paid.

Permabanned
OP
I read that earlier whilst googling. Thank you.

Unsure as to whether to apply for a new license online and hope it comes by Wednesday to send OR apply for a new license online and send my current one to the police today..

Soldato
I read that earlier whilst googling. Thank you.

Unsure as to whether to apply for a new license online and hope it comes by Wednesday to send OR apply for a new license online and send my current one to the police today..

if you've renewed your passport in the last whatever it is years then you can apply online, then you can send off your licence to the police, there is no paper part anymore so it doesn't matter, then when the new one comes you can just send in your old one

Permabanned
OP
Just a quick follow on question..

Does the date of the notice count as a day towards the number of days you have to take action? Or to make things simpler is 28 days from the date of the notice (25th of August) this Thursday or Friday?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom