US: The Orville

Soldato
I enjoyed it, very TNG inspired/copied. Characters could be better as in more deep instead of throwaway personalities. I liked the sets and the ship. Bad guys kinda were jemhdar ish I thought, the battle bit was a bit weak as in weapons and the Orville darting about stupidly.

But it is what it is, a St TNG parody and Seth was good in it and his commander. If they weren't in then they wouldn't have a interesting character to watch.

Can't wait to see more of it. What I like the most is the trek vibe, they even nearly got the sound and music like St tng.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I enjoyed it, very TNG inspired/copied. Characters could be better as in more deep instead of throwaway personalities. I liked the sets and the ship. Bad guys kinda were jemhdar ish I thought, the battle bit was a bit weak as in weapons and the Orville darting about stupidly.

But it is what it is, a St TNG parody and Seth was good in it and his commander. If they weren't in then they wouldn't have a interesting character to watch.

Can't wait to see more of it. What I like the most is the trek vibe, they even nearly got the sound and music like St tng.
Yes, love the trek vibe, but it is not enough on its own. If you took that away not much is left. I hope that changes in the coming episodes or this will get cancelled very quick :(

Caporegime
OP
I watched it last night, it was fairly good but would have been better if they just went down the serious route rather than trying to make it lighthearted in places.

Sets and CGI were surprisingly good, well on par with star-trek.

Caporegime
Apparently this has had pretty strong re-watch figures.

In men 18-34, the core constituency for creator and star MacFarlane’s animated series, The Orville posted the highest-rated broadcast hourlong series debut since Fox’s Gotham on September 22, 2014 (excluding post Super Bowl lead-outs).

In the zone-adjusted finals for Sunday, the debut of Seth MacFarlane’s sci-fi dramedy The Orville on Fox rose from a 2.3 and 7.3 million viewers to a 2.8 adults 18-49 rating and 8.6 million viewers. In the demo, The Orville matched the debuts of NBC’s drama This Is Us and Fox’s comedy The Mick, the highest-rated launches last season (excluding 24: Legacy, which followed the Super Bowl).

So not a failure and rates highly in the prime advertising age range too.

Soldato
Apparently this has had pretty strong re-watch figures.

In men 18-34, the core constituency for creator and star MacFarlane’s animated series, The Orville posted the highest-rated broadcast hourlong series debut since Fox’s Gotham on September 22, 2014 (excluding post Super Bowl lead-outs).

In the zone-adjusted finals for Sunday, the debut of Seth MacFarlane’s sci-fi dramedy The Orville on Fox rose from a 2.3 and 7.3 million viewers to a 2.8 adults 18-49 rating and 8.6 million viewers. In the demo, The Orville matched the debuts of NBC’s drama This Is Us and Fox’s comedy The Mick, the highest-rated launches last season (excluding 24: Legacy, which followed the Super Bowl).

So not a failure and rates highly in the prime advertising age range too.

TBF, lots of series get high initial numbers because the advertising gets people to tune in to the launch to see what it's about. The important numbers are to see if the following episodes can keep those initial viewers, or if they drop the show quickly.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
TBF, lots of series get high initial numbers because the advertising gets people to tune in to the launch to see what it's about. The important numbers are to see if the following episodes can keep those initial viewers, or if they drop the show quickly.
Yeah, it is only the first episode. Let's see how it fares after 5-6 episodes.

I hope it does well, definitely something I would like to watch, just would prefer a bit less cheese and awkwardness. Looking forward to the next one :)

R3X

R3X

Soldato
They have confirmed they will have star trek actors popping up time to time.

Not seen it since prefer to binge it but the new trek series coming next week maybe gives them even more ammo especially the klingon's new look !

Caporegime
I think The Orville is better when watched as an actual new sci-fi show that's just a bit silly, rather than a Star Trek parody.
So far the humour hasn't been its strong point.
I have to agree. Haven't see E2 yet but as there's no real serial sci-fi show out there at the moment this could work, if it can stay serious for most of the time with the odd bit of humour in there.

Soldato
Episode 2 was a lot better, to be fair the advertising of the show threw me off and didn't understand what they were going for at first.
The music is reaaaaaaaally taking me back to the 90s/2000s trek though, pretty good!

Soldato
Love the Voyageresque intro sequence. And have to say, Kari Byron (on the right) has really let that whole 'sexy redhead' thing go a tad too far.

NlDJpy5.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom