EVGA SuperNOVA G3 vs P2 (850W)

Associate
I'm trying to decide between these two power supplies... The P2 is more efficient but an older platform by a few years, and one centimetre longer.

Is it worth going for the G3 purely for the newer platform?

I can get either one for an identical price.

Man of Honour
You can't really go wrong with either of them. The new G3 is based on Superflowers new Leadex II platform and is only slightly tweaked from the original. If they are both the same price then I would probably go for the P2.

However, cheaper than both of them and just as good is the new Seasonic Focus Plus 850w which also has a ten year warranty but is very compact at only 140mm long. Jonnyguru gave it 9.8/10 in his review. That is the psu series that I would be looking at if I was looking for a new psu right now.

Do you actually need a 850w psu though? Unless you are running SLI or Crossfire you most likely only need a 550w psu, maybe less depending on your system.

Associate
OP
I do not need 850W no - it'll be an Overclocked 8700K/Overclocked GTX 1080 (2,100mhz) build with 5 hard drives, AIO, 4 other fans. However, this PSU will be lasting me for a long time, and the marginal increase in cost for the extra potential is worth it in my opinion. At the very least it means the fan will be unlikely to spin up.

That Seasonic looks excellent. However, I plan to use custom cablemod cables, and the Seasonic doesn't appear to be supported. Purely cosmetic I know, but there it is.

Soldato
I do not need 850W no - it'll be an Overclocked 8700K/Overclocked GTX 1080 (2,100mhz) build with 5 hard drives, AIO, 4 other fans. However, this PSU will be lasting me for a long time, and the marginal increase in cost for the extra potential is worth it in my opinion. At the very least it means the fan will be unlikely to spin up.

That Seasonic looks excellent. However, I plan to use custom cablemod cables, and the Seasonic doesn't appear to be supported. Purely cosmetic I know, but there it is.

A good 550W will power an i7 8700K and single GTX 1080. If you want a bit of headroom then go with 650W. The Corsair RMx/RMi are also worth looking at as these also have a 10 year warranty and are very quiet units. You can buy Cablemod cables for both these psu's.

Soldato

dont forget that PSU extension cables are cheaper and work with any PSU..usually its just the CPU/Mobo/GPU cables on show. and the extensions sometimes come with combs

Back
Top Bottom