I need to upgrade my CPU AMD FX4100... What's the best option to do this on my oldish set up?

Associate
I know I need a new motherboard that supports DDR4 as well as a better AM4 chip and up to date GFX Card but what CPU can I buy that will give me some boost with the set up I've got?

I don't want to spend £400 to get all of the above just maybe under £100 for a new CPU?

It seems to be letting my GFX card down

Many thanks guys!

Screen_Shot_2017_09_19_at_10_21_08.png

Soldato
I know I need a new motherboard that supports DDR4 as well as a better AM4 chip and up to date GFX Card but what CPU can I buy that will give me some boost with the set up I've got?

I don't want to spend £400 to get all of the above just maybe under £100 for a new CPU?

It seems to be letting my GFX card down

Many thanks guys!

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £381.98
(includes shipping: £10.50)

although not to sure if a Ryzen 3 1200 or 1300x would be better then your current quad core and by how much- bring the costs down a bit for yourself by £30-50

hopefully someone will be able to comment as i'm not clued up to older AMD processors , specially your quad core. but looking at benchmarks- they all should be and can clock to 3.7/8 Ghz

Soldato
screw that , suck up the next day delivery !

Total: £411.98
(includes shipping: £10.50)

will match current intel cores at gaming just fine! and last some more too! 6 cores/12 threads. didnt realise it was on sale . stock cooler should see you to 3.6Ghz i believe

@Plec your rate the default stock cooler right?

Man of Honour
If you want a up to date cpu then you have no choice but to upgrade everything at once. Your platform is obsolete and has been replaced by the Ryzen platform specced above which is much more powerful than the FX series. You could drop in one of the more powerful FX series cpu's but from a quick Google your motherboard has problems with the vrm's overloading when a FX8000 series cpu is used. That only leaves the FX6000 series such as the FX6300 (£80) and FX6350 (£90) which I am not sure is that much better than what you already have (certainly not the FX6300 anyway). To be honest I wouldn't want to spend any money on your current system as it's just so out of date due to AMD taking so long to get their act together and releasing uncompetitive cpu's on a outdated platform. Either bide your time with what you have as the cpu is a ok match for the gpu that you have, or bite the bullet and upgrade the cpu/motherboard/memory to Ryzen. The second build (Ryzen 1600) is the better one of the two and for a extra £30 you get a extra pair of cores so should last you longer. To recoup some cash you could sell your current cpu/motherboard/memory. The memory alone should get a decent chunk of cash.

Soldato
Hey Orbital

The Wraith Spire? Yes, really is a surprisingly efficient and quality cooler.

I've clocked 2 of my friends builds to 3.7GHz (1600) using them - was originally meant to be a stop gap (plus me having a play) but they seem more than happy with the performance/noise so they're not bothering with a 3rd party as yet.

I, personally, wouldn't push any higher than this - but some members go as high as 3.8GHz - but this depends on luck of volts pushed and additional case cooling.

Associate
OP
If you want a up to date cpu then you have no choice but to upgrade everything at once. Your platform is obsolete and has been replaced by the Ryzen platform specced above which is much more powerful than the FX series. You could drop in one of the more powerful FX series cpu's but from a quick Google your motherboard has problems with the vrm's overloading when a FX8000 series cpu is used. That only leaves the FX6000 series such as the FX6300 (£80) and FX6350 (£90) which I am not sure is that much better than what you already have (certainly not the FX6300 anyway). To be honest I wouldn't want to spend any money on your current system as it's just so out of date due to AMD taking so long to get their act together and releasing uncompetitive cpu's on a outdated platform. Either bide your time with what you have as the cpu is a ok match for the gpu that you have, or bite the bullet and upgrade the cpu/motherboard/memory to Ryzen. The second build (Ryzen 1600) is the better one of the two and for a extra £30 you get a extra pair of cores so should last you longer. To recoup some cash you could sell your current cpu/motherboard/memory. The memory alone should get a decent chunk of cash.

Thanks for all the info mate that's just what I needed

Where do you think the best place would be to sell my CPU, Motherboard and RAM? and I should I sell them separately?

I'm guessing eBay but I'm IP banned lol... guess I'd have to get my mate to post it up for me.

If I could get £150 for my board, cpu and ram I'd happily put another £250 in to upgrade my system

thanks again mate

Man of Honour
Your memory is worth the most out of your current cpu/motherboard/memory so yes, sell them all seperately. It's 16GB of quality DDR3 and at a decent speed and with the current prices should net you a tidy sum second hand. I doubt if the cpu and motherboard will fetch much but Ebay would be the best bet for the widest net of buyers. Gumtree may be worth a shot though.

Soldato
DomBruv said:
If I could get £150 for my board, cpu and ram I'd happily put another £250 in to upgrade my system
For £400 total - orbital's Core components built around the Ryzen 1600 is the best bang for buck. You could cut costs a bit more by buying the micro Gaming - but if you have a full ATX case with a window it would look at bit spartan.

If you play at 1080p the R9 270 will still cut it - but your next step up would be the GTX 1060 or RX 580 as this would compliment the above core components and bring the whole system bang up to date - playing all games on high/ultra.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for all the information

so the best set up for me would be this one?
screw that , suck up the next day delivery !

Total: £411.98

will match current intel cores at gaming just fine! and last some more too! 6 cores/12 threads. didnt realise it was on sale . stock cooler should see you to 3.6Ghz i believe

Soldato
Thanks for all the information

so the best set up for me would be this one?

for your budget yes- you could drop down to the 1400 - 4 cores 8 threads for £380 but its considered that the 1600 matches intels K chips for gaming and should last you a tad longer life span with those cores

since the top one is pending stock - although most pre-build here use the other one listed above
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...-channel-kit-grey-tdged416g300-my-089-tg.html

Soldato
for your budget yes- you could drop down to the 1400 - 4 cores 8 threads for £380 but its considered that the 1600 matches intels K chips for gaming and should last you a tad longer life span with those cores

since the top one is pending stock - although most pre-build here use the other one listed above
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...-channel-kit-grey-tdged416g300-my-089-tg.html

drop CS thread/section a message- state youve been quoted that build on here but delivery takes you over the £400 limit- might get you free delivery or half price maybe.... IF YOU DONT ASK, YOU DONT GET :)

Back
Top Bottom