Pewdiepie racism

Soldato
We seem to live in a culture that just wants to point fingers, label people and not get along so it'll never change. Their favourite part when you watch people is they seem to get a kick trying to oust people. Typical school behaviour.

We've also entered an era where people see and read into things that aren't there.

People seen to think they have the right to be offended!

It's a disease, political correctness crap.

i'm offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ******* what."

[I saw hate in a graveyard -- Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005]

Associate
The guy is a melon. And making a lot of money out of it.

---

On a different note, one thing I am not happy about is when black people use the 'N' word.

I've asked black friends why this is the case, and what I get back is mostly along the lines of 'to take the power out of the word'.

But then you end up in scenarios where white people use the 'N' word in the same context a black person would use it and the white person is *gasp* a racist whilst things go unnoticed for the black person.

If it's racist and should not be used, then it should not be used by all parties.

Nice clear lines drawn in the sand.

I'd agree here. You either say it's a bad word & nobody uses it, or you all use the word & it'll lose any meaning of it. You can't say it's okay for one person to use it, but not others.

-----------

Double standards & all that.

Talking of which, can you imagine if the reverse of this *ahem* music clip was made?

A black rapper released a music video for a new single Tuesday in which he can be seen lynching a young white child.

Soldato
Reminds of of something.... in my old job my work colleague was Nigerian and we would call each other 'bumbaclut' all the time. (He'd call me other names too.... (we are friends to this day)

On his leaving do, we had been drinking and went into a Jamaican takeaway and the dude at the counter asked me what I want. So I turned to my friend and said 'bumbaclut, let me buy you something seeing as this is your leaving do'.
The shop owner stared at me wide eyed and said to my friend, 'he just called you a bumbaclut'! :confused:

We just laughed. :p:p:p

Caporegime
Reminds of of something.... in my old job my work colleague was Nigerian and we would call each other 'bumbaclut' all the time. (He'd call me other names too.... (we are friends to this day)

while perhaps not as extreme as that we had a guy who was a complete doppelgänger for Dev Patel (actor from slum dog millionaire) - he was the new guy to the team and thus was making the odd mistake... the film slum dog had only recently been released so he acquired the nickname "chaiwala" - though it quickly shifted into anyone in the team who screwed up being labeled a "chaiwala"

Soldato

Not a fan of Pewdiepie but Campo Santo deserve everything coming at them. Using false copyright strikes as weapons against Youtubers is a massive no no. If they wanted to break ties they should have contacted him to request removal of the videos and to let him know they were revoking his permission to make videos of their game and monetize them. Instead they just hit him with the fake strike to try and cause damage to him and the removal of videos associated with themselves.

This is pretty much what happened a couple of months ago when Wargaming merely threatened Sir_Foch with a fake copyright strike for videos he made with their permission because they didn't like one video, it unleashed a colossal ****storm upon them that Campo Santo should really have learnt from.

The guys a moron, but Campo Santo just made the list of scumbag developers.

Soldato
Completely agree ubersonic. My pet hate in the business world are these petty little copyright wars that companies use to mess around with competition like that Samsung Apple crap we had a few years ago.

Copyright has its place and using it to sling poo for reasons unrelated to copyright undermines its purpose.

Also a stupid move considering that a handful of the major gaming youtubes seem to have a lot of influence over the next hot game, just look at how many unknown indie games from amateur devs have been catapulted to top sellers because of them.

Associate
Given the way this has worked, with the DMCA strike going ahead, there was a possibility for more companies to take action. If a channel receives 3 strikes in a 3 month period it gets terminated so I feel that PDP has come off lightly (granted this is a false copyright claim but there is certainly a potential for more backlash). It seems like Campo Santo were just trying to make a point, but did so poorly.

Associate
Klei did a wise thing. They stated you can stream/youtube etc their games, but you just aren't to be a dick during the footage.
More should do that, put in some crafty "be polite or sod orf".

Soldato
From a quick google it seems faggot was originally from fagot, which was meant for a bundle of sticks. Not sure how we went from a bundle of sticks to a meatball.
Same way how gay used to mean happy, then it meant a homosexual man (who was likely being beaten senseless for being homosexual at the time and likely anything but happy, so possibly some ironic jest?), before finally coming to the modern day where it's simply defined as something stupid, unfortunate, decidedly unfashionable to the point of embarassment, or any Call Of Duty branded gaming peripherals.

In fact, I'd argue that Gay (now pronounced gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay) is a far more successful reclamation/disempowerment of a slur than the N-word has been.

Back
Top Bottom