The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Caporegime
Bah, I got a pass from the revenue protection officer for one gadget. Wahoo Kickr or Power meter. The Tacx Vortex is pretty decent, so PWM it is. I'm going to go for a Vortex 3 when its properly released.

Soldato
Got an ftp done through Zwift:
Good work & well done! Tough ain't it! :D

I wouldn't worry too much about losing weight, for you predominately riding on the track weight has less issue (unless you wanted to ride more hills!). On the track you're best training peak power & active recovery for the sprinting and efforts out of corners (and then recovering from it). Sweetspot as well will be good for you - threshold riding of constant power much like the FTP test, but usually for shorter periods.

Bah, I got a pass from the revenue protection officer for one gadget. Wahoo Kickr or Power meter. The Tacx Vortex is pretty decent, so PWM it is. I'm going to go for a Vortex 3 when its properly released.
So you've got a pass yet you're holding off purchasing... Que?! :o

Soldato
Good work & well done! Tough ain't it! :D

I wouldn't worry too much about losing weight, for you predominately riding on the track weight has less issue (unless you wanted to ride more hills!). On the track you're best training peak power & active recovery for the sprinting and efforts out of corners (and then recovering from it). Sweetspot as well will be good for you - threshold riding of constant power much like the FTP test, but usually for shorter periods.

Yes it was tough, still had a bit left for 300w towards the end, it's tricky pacing it out so that ideally come the end your legs are absolutely 100% empty.

I do ride out on the roads a fair bit, i do like a hill or two when I'm in the mood.

Peak power and sprint recovery is indeed what i'm working on through the winter. I've decided to enroll in next seasons senior/vet track league - for fun. :)

Soldato
Ok thanks. Your road choice isn't vastly different to mine so I may have to do the same, just £££! :o

Did you try/consider any cheaper alternatives? How do you find the Sitero when riding in 'normal' position? Enough relief?

Found the Sitero on the bay new from a Cash Converters for the same price I paid for the Tritone, £70 so not particularly expensive, bought that in Jan from Wiggle so that's going back as it's unmarked. Bike came with the Ardea Tri (Speedmax) which wasn't too bad but need a relief channel or to point it down a bit which I didn't try as the covering was like sandpaper anyway.

'Normal' position is on the extensions and it's fine. On the bull-horns or more upright, which you wouldn't be for long, not so much. As it's got straight edges so doesn't contour the same way as a regular saddle. Posted pictures in the Aero Thread I think.

Man of Honour
Almost at the end of my first week of the FTP booster.

I'm really starting to think something was up during my FTP test, I'm not making excuses but doing this program and I'm doing blocks of 80% or 90% of my FTP and it just feels far too comfortable. On Tuesday I did 15 minutes at 160w (my FTP is 173w), and I felt like I could have done that all day long, heart rate was 120bpm consistently. Even yesterday doing 5 minutes at 195w, my HR didn't go above 125 which is still Z2 for me, and it felt very comfortable. I don't know if it's because I've been consistent since doing my FTP test, whereas when I did the test, I'd only done 2 zwift sessions beforehand and previously had 10 days no training at all.

I'm not going to let curiosity get the better of me though and do a test early, I'm going to do the whole 4 weeks and hopefully have a very big improvement come test time

Soldato
I've decided to enroll in next seasons senior/vet track league - for fun. :)
Sadist! ;)

At under 70kg you really don't need to worry about weight before power. Maybe once you're pushing your FTP around 300W and want to do some long climbs it's more suited, but I wouldn't worry at this stage (winter is coming!) :)

Found the Sitero on the bay new from a Cash Converters for the same price I paid for the Tritone, £70 so not particularly expensive, bought that in Jan from Wiggle so that's going back as it's unmarked. Bike came with the Ardea Tri (Speedmax) which wasn't too bad but need a relief channel or to point it down a bit which I didn't try as the covering was like sandpaper anyway.

'Normal' position is on the extensions and it's fine. On the bull-horns or more upright, which you wouldn't be for long, not so much. As it's got straight edges so doesn't contour the same way as a regular saddle. Posted pictures in the Aero Thread I think.
That was a great price for the Sitero and around the budget I'd set myself. May try and snipe one (or the Tritone) as they both look to sell S/H well at ~£100.

By normal I'd meant hoods, forgot you mostly rode the speedmax on your trainer! I think the aero thread is where I saw your picture comparing the two. Thanks for the info and comparisons! :D

Even yesterday doing 5 minutes at 195w, my HR didn't go above 125 which is still Z2 for me, and it felt very comfortable. I don't know if it's because I've been consistent since doing my FTP test, whereas when I did the test, I'd only done 2 zwift sessions beforehand and previously had 10 days no training at all.
It's probably the latter, once you're more used to the turbo (as now) you'll test better as more naturally relaxed and comfortable there. I was similar with my FTP test - very little sessions before so think that was the cause of my poor result. :o

It might be worth upping your FTP by 10 or 15, not a huge amount (a test should be done to determine big changes) but at least enough to push yourself a little more in the building sessions.

I've been fairly rested the rest of the week (not had time for another session) so I'm considering testing again. I'd already decided any riding this weekend would be indoors (baby due sunday so I'm just getting some brownie points in the bank!) ;) :cool:

Soldato
Sadist! ;)

At under 70kg you really don't need to worry about weight before power. Maybe once you're pushing your FTP around 300W and want to do some long climbs it's more suited, but I wouldn't worry at this stage (winter is coming!) :)

Id already decided any riding this weekend would be indoors (baby due sunday so I'm just getting some brownie points in the bank!) ;) :cool:

I can't see me getting from 216 to 300 any time soon, that's one heck of a jump. 235/240 is my goal for next Spring/Summer.

If baby is due this Sunday then the only thing you can be absolutely sure of is that baby will not come this Sunday.

My money is on Wednesday. :)

Soldato
I'm really starting to think something was up during my FTP test

A combination of more turbo time and getting used to riding the trainer ( and ERG mode) will have helped. I have looked at your HR and found it to be fairly low for the sessions. Though they are quite short and not too intense. The trainer does mean no free-wheeling even during recoveries but you don't coast more than most out doors from what I noticed.

It's easily done to have eyes bigger than your legs when picking workouts indoors and fatigue does accumulate over a longer session. So keep any increase to % modest for now. Don't forget the clearing effort does have an effect during the test.

That was a great price for the Sitero and around the budget I'd set myself. May try and snipe one (or the Tritone) as they both look to sell S/H well at ~£100.

By normal I'd meant hoods, forgot you mostly rode the speedmax on your trainer! I think the aero thread is where I saw your picture comparing the two. Thanks for the info and comparisons! :D

Still have my Tritone as I haven't returned it to Wiggle yet....

The Sitero is on the Speedmax and I'd definitely say it isn't a saddle suited to a Roadie. I know @Kimi was contemplating one for his aero-road but the contoured profile isn't kind for being up right on for more than brief periods. So a long climb on the hoods or tops would be grim and end up just hurting or putting you in a less than optimal position I should think.

I've ridden the Speedmax outdoors a bit lately as the club TT is in little over a week. Sort of yolo'ing it as still tweaking position for comfort/power. Not the club 10 as too many road works so on a different course not far away which should be quicker as it's a fairly flat out and back vs the club 10 which is a lumpy loop with 2 short climbs and one long drag. Will just enjoy burying myself and the TT scene.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn’t put a sitero on a road bike. I bought one for my TT used as it was cheap to see what I thought.

It’s quite big and flat, good cutout and it’s alright for the TT position but I wouldn’t be comfortable sat further back on it for a long time.

Soldato
Had a good 2.5 hour session on Zwift sunday!

Did a warm up followed by a 1 lap flat race (2nd! 3up sprint & beaten on the line!) but not many racers as several of these WBR flat lap races on similar times. I was feeling so good afterwards I followed that with another FTP test (274W)! It went OK, got a similar result to the last test (272W) which I wasn't happy with, but taking the race before into consideration I'm happy with that. Will just work my FTP back to around 270W over winter rather than working harder for a higher figure! ;)

Did a bit of work on the radio tower climb afterwards to empty my legs, unlocked the Emonda (so I'm around 1/3 the way to the Tron bike!). Unlocking the Tron bike will be a good carrot for this winter. :cool:

Soldato
A combination of more turbo time and getting used to riding the trainer ( and ERG mode) will have helped.
Lots of riders will 'lose' power when riding on the trainer/indoors, just because it's different. A little bit of conditioning and riding you'll soon see it come back up. I've actually found my threshold/VO2max higher on the turbo as I can bury myself without worrying about balancing/steering/looking where I'm going! I've got a great pain face selfie I'll put up on my last FTP test from immediately afterwards. Didn't quite throw up this time but have been known to! :o

I wouldn’t put a sitero on a road bike. I bought one for my TT used as it was cheap to see what I thought.

It’s quite big and flat, good cutout and it’s alright for the TT position but I wouldn’t be comfortable sat further back on it for a long time.
Thanks guys, any recommendations? I'm currently looking at the Selle Italia SLR Flow.

Soldato
Got my conservatory set up with the bike and turbo last night and went for my first *winter* training ride. It was Just like old times…

I really want a smart trainer but currently in full-on saving mode so I'm slumming it with a poverty-spec dumb trainer — first world problems!

Will try a FTP test tomorrow and see how unfit I've become over the summer (a wedding and honeymoon pretty much put paid to any riding except for my stag weekend).

Soldato
Short on time last night, so fired up The Long Scream for some quality suffering. Nearly drowned in my own sweat - roll on evening temps nearer zero than 15 degrees!

Soldato
Did a Zwift session last night - fuelled up with a gel, a coffee, 2 x flapjacks - pushed myself, nice result although I wonder if my Tacx Vortex might be over-reading a bit:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1204639727

I did calibrate before the workout, and the marker was up against the "too tight" section in the Tacx calibration utility, which I'm ok with as I don't want wheelspin.

Soldato
Too tight means the read may very well be affected.

Equally you shouldn't need to eat anything at all, let alone such a large amount for such a short workout. Presumably you would have eaten in the day, something far smaller would have sufficed :)

Back
Top Bottom