Concrete fence posts and panels.

Soldato
I need to replace some sections of our fence and I've never had to do this before. Currently it's all rotten and wooden so I will be replacing it with concrete stuff.

Can anyone give me experience of how much it cost them to do? I understand it's not a complicated process but I get limited time for Diy so will likely pay someone.

I will aim to get multiple quotes but would like an idea first, as if it's already out of my budget then I don't wanna waste anyone's time.

It would be 6ft high panels spanning about ten metres.

Thanks

Man of Honour
This is my guesstimate.

2 days labour have no idea what they charge in your area for 2 men but lets say £300
5 panels £100 depending on type
Posts 6 maybe £120
Post mix 6 bags £30
Skip £80-£100

Total £650

Soldato
This is my guesstimate.

2 days labour have no idea what they charge in your area for 2 men but lets say £300
5 panels £100 depending on type
Posts 6 maybe £120
Post mix 6 bags £30
Skip £80-£100

Total £650

You probably need to add on gravel boards and you will probably find the work will run into the second day if you include setting out and the time to dig the holes by hand.

I'd be working on nearer £850

Associate
You probably need to add on gravel boards and you will probably find the work will run into the second day if you include setting out and the time to dig the holes by hand.

I'd be working on nearer £850

Sounds about right working backwards from our 25m fence. Depends on where you are, and what state the current fence is in (how much needs digging out / removing / if it's got concrete base etc.)

Soldato
Concrete posts are the best probably worth paying for slightly better than min standard panels as well.
A few years ago I had some done and seem to remember working on about 100 quid a panel.

I would never go back to wooden posts.

Associate
I got 11 bays of 6 foot panels so roughly 20m for £450 delivered with concrete posts, featheredge panels, gravel boards and postcrete

Took me 3 days to fit them by myself with zero fencing experience, I know you dont want to DIY but could imagine you could do it in a weekend if you really wanted to

Associate
I know a few fencers and for close board with wooden posts they charge about £45 a meter. I know you wanted concrete posts and panels but it gives you a rough idea atleast. The ~DIY route will be much cheaper and its not that difficult to do, just hard graft and time consuming

Associate
Next door got a concrete/wood hybrid fence. About 15-20 meters in length cost was circa £1500 for 2 people and 2 days work inc materials.

Fence consists of concrete posts as well as concrete base panels, then wooden panels on top so no wood is actually touching the ground.

Their old fully wooden fence panels/posts blew over around 5 times in the wind as well as posts rotting so was time for a change. The concrete fence so far has not degraded or broken at all and it's been a year.

No point of even having a wooden fence unless you're planning to fix it all the time yourself. I got mine done 5 years ago and so far 3 panels needed re-securing and 2 posts replacing after snapping from rot.

Wooden fence comparison cost was around £350 inc labour and materials.

Soldato
We recently did a couple of panels DIY:
  • 8ft Concrete posts were ~£14 each
  • Gravel boards ~£8 each
  • The panels we got were £77 but are tongue and groove with a top trellis. You can save money with feather edge, but they are so brittle and liable to break
  • Plus absolute shed-loads of postcrete
  • Also don't forget some of of the other costs you may not think of: side battens as the fence panels were a few mil shorter than the gravel boards, hinges and gates if you need access, also a proper SDS drill if you need to attach anything to the concrete and a post holer which made things much quicker than a spade.
It's a fairly easy DIY job but don't underestimate the time and energy needed to dig out the post holes. In our case we came across loads of things that slowed us down like old buried pipes and cables.

I've now got a 120 foot span to do on the other side, would be tempted to get someone in but the labour costs are mad.

Back
Top Bottom