New Build - En-suite error - Shower facing door

Soldato
Hi,

Im in the process of waiting for new build to complete. I have bought off plan and had not access to the house.

I just had an email saying that they builder has positioned the boxed in cavity adjacent to the shower on the wrong side of the en-suite room. This meant they could not fit the normal swing door and have instead replaced with a folding door.

They sent me a picture.

YfDcGmW.png 478BB3F.jpg

I am kind of OK with the door, but I noticed the shower unit and head are on the wall facing the door??
In the showhouse the unit is correctly fitted on the right side wall with all the piping etc within the boxed in cavity.

5fpeZFb.png BEBYMou.jpg xD4ZTqo.jpg

I dont understand why they have not fitted the shower correctly to the left wall and had all the piping within the cavity.

I am not happy that the shower head is facing the door because.

1. Possibility of getting wet and water going outside when turning on the shower as its coming at you. I assume the water would be cold as first so wouldn't want to get in and close the door until the water temperature is right.

2. More chance of the water seeping through the fold in the door over time with a constant spray on it.

Here are plans to compare the showhouse first then my actual layout showing positions of everything.

bl6zlYC.jpg XdVVCMT.jpg

I have replied saying that I am not happy and await their reply, but I cannot see them wanting to move the shower now it is all tiled.

Does anyone know if there are any British standards or rules that say you are not to have the shower facing the door? I have found a couple of websites saying its bad practice but would love an british standard or similar to show them.

Cheers

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I would not be happy, it restricts your movement when leaving the shower opening the door with the shower behind, tell them to rectify it because someone hadnt read the plans.

Soldato
They have not built it to spec, if you dont like it then it is their problem and they need to fix it.

I would get them to fix it but you should expect some delay. There may be other knock on issues, there is a chance tiles from a different patch will not match the ones already in place.

It's also a bit of a **** take that they obviously knew it was wrong previously because they have sourced and fitted a different door to try and mask the fault.

Soldato
OP
I'll try to get them to change it but I think they will just offer me the last remaining house plot, unfortunately the garden is much smaller though.

I hoped there was an official set of rules or standards outlawing it unless there was no choice.

I really don't understand why they didn't install the shower on the left wall? I mean that is where they have created a cavity for all the pipes etc. On the far wall they have had to put all the pipes in the thin partition wall... Weird

Soldato
I really don't understand why they didn't install the shower on the left wall? I mean that is where they have created a cavity for all the pipes etc. On the far wall they have had to put all the pipes in the thin partition wall... Weird

Probably didn't want the door to hit the shower.

I wouldn't worry too much about water - that's a £70 electric shower, there won't be much water coming out of it.

Have you exchanged contracts?

Soldato
OP
Probably didn't want the door to hit the shower.

I wouldn't worry too much about water - that's a £70 electric shower, there won't be much water coming out of it.

Have you exchanged contracts?

If the shower was fitted correctly on the left and the door folding to the right I don't think It would have hit.

I've not exchanged contracts yet. I only reserved a couple of weeks ago. Just paid the solicitor to do the searches last week.

I really like the house though it's in a good location and good price for a detached. It's just annoying when it's not right.
I had a bit of an issue last week when I noticed there was a lamppost right outside. From one angle it looked like it was right in front of the windows but when they let me on site to look front on it was just to the side.

Associate
From what i can see they have made a mistake and have dealt with it in there way.So to get them to change it is going to be a very hard job if they even entertain it at all.Builders will try and get out of any thing once the house is built even snagging.This dose not help you as its not to your taste but as you say the rest of the house is good all round for you i would say live with it as its only a small issue if any.
As the door is now like pic 2 and folds inwards from what i see of the lay out is it will give you more room to get in and out of shower as the opening door in pic 1 swings across blocking most of room as it opens and you'll end up standing in the door/bedroom to fully open it will be tight fitr in the bathroom..
And as for water seeping through the fold in the door cant really see much if any issues iot would drip down door back in to try and be contained . I would worry more if having the door open out in pic 1 with water driping on to the floor when you have the door open getting out the shower /leaving door open due to the lack of room when standing dry your self off.

Soldato
OP
From what i can see they have made a mistake and have dealt with it in there way.So to get them to change it is going to be a very hard job if they even entertain it at all.Builders will try and get out of any thing once the house is built even snagging.This dose not help you as its not to your taste but as you say the rest of the house is good all round for you i would say live with it as its only a small issue if any.
As the door is now like pic 2 and folds inwards from what i see of the lay out is it will give you more room to get in and out of shower as the opening door in pic 1 swings across blocking most of room as it opens and you'll end up standing in the door/bedroom to fully open it will be tight fitr in the bathroom..
And as for water seeping through the fold in the door cant really see much if any issues iot would drip down door back in to try and be contained . I would worry more if having the door open out in pic 1 with water driping on to the floor when you have the door open getting out the shower /leaving door open due to the lack of room when standing dry your self off.

I have told them the folding door is Ok if of good quality. The positioning of the shower is more of an issue but as they are in the final stages of the devopement i cant see them changing it now as it would mean re-tiling most of the room.

I will just say i am not happy and hopefully get some carpets out of it.

Soldato
Internal folding doors - don't drip onto bathroom floor, if you do ever trip it's better too. - so ones I've had have been better than outward opening.

Are the folding doors still glass though, versus a door.

Soldato
OP
Are the folding doors still glass though, versus a door.

They look like glass from the pic they sent me. Im not allowed in the property yet to inspect.

Ive found a better pic of the showhouse en-suite door. Updated the OP. I think the full door looks nicer but i can manage with the folding door.

im more bothered about the shower position.

TfMW90C.jpg.png

Soldato
I don't see a problem with what they have done - I'd have chosen that configuration if it was on offer.

You want folding doors in that small space and you want them folding inwards, for reasons that have already been mentioned. And if the doors fold inwards, you want the shower away from them and you want as much room for manoeuvre in the cubicle as possible, which means the shower facing the door. Only issue I can see is are the doors going to seal effectively to keep spray out... but as your body will be in the way with the shower on the facing wall, it's less of an issue than if the shower were positioned where you wanted it to be.

Caporegime
It doesn't seem like an issue to me. Sure it's not what they said you'd get but in all honesty it seems like you'll have more space in the bathroom and to get in and out of the shower? The original plan make it look like closing the door will be a right pain and you'll as good as need to leave the bathroom and step into the bedroom to close the door?

Soldato
OP
Ive been back to the development this afternoon and taken some more pics of the showhouse. Ive added a picture to the OP showing the normal door fully open. The en-suite can open the shower door fully without encroaching into the doorway.

The layout of the original is better with the sink against the boxed cavity wall.

I noticed that they have moved the sink much further away from the shower on my plot. I wonder how close to the toilet it will be as it is already right in front of you when you sit on the toilet in the showhouse.

TDDQw5U.jpg

I spoke to the sales man and said I wasn't happy but he just said he needed to talk to the builders to ask what went on. He said my plot would be handed over in 2 weeks so I can go in and have a look around.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd be pretty annoyed tbh as once you're showered, the door opening outwards seems a lot better.

I'd drag your heels and try get them to fix it. Dunno if they can cancel the house on you though?

Soldato
I have told them the folding door is Ok if of good quality. The positioning of the shower is more of an issue but as they are in the final stages of the devopement i cant see them changing it now as it would mean re-tiling most of the room.

I will just say i am not happy and hopefully get some carpets out of it.
Its a new build, quality won't be what you're buying :p

Soldato
OP
I got an email from the developer advising me that the shower heads rotates so everything is OK.

I think they are being funny.

7RrhSO1.jpg

Associate
Well they got a point. With your left hand point the shower into the corner while with your right turns on the water. When up to temperature straighten it up.

If your door opened outwards, would it not crack onto the sink? Ignore. Just saw the door is hinged the other side.

If you want a proper new-build bathroom ****-up, my builder has just ripped up the floor tiles, had to put self levelling compound down (the floor had dropped), retiled, and now the door doesn't close, the toilet pan no longer lines up with the waste, and the sink needs moving up. Meaning the wall needs retiling too.
New builds.... a whole new expression of frustration and stupidity. This is after they replaced chipped tiles and redid the shower tray because it wobbled.

Get as much of the issues / faults spotted BEFORE you take ownership and insist on having them dealt with. Once you take ownership, and the builders move on, you're in the hands of the customer care and "clean up" teams. Some of whom are top notch, others are bloody awful. There is a whole industry based on "post new-build fixing".

Back
Top Bottom