Build Log - P5 Refresh!

Associate
Hi All!

So this is going to be my first full project log for a build! I've done previous builds! My last was almost 4 years ago now so this is a refresh of my current setup with lots of new toys! Basically keeping the Mobo/CPU/Memory/PSU

Case: Thermaltake Core P5 (New!)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97
Processor: Intel i5 4670K
Memory: 4x4GB Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3
GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080 Ti Gaming OC (New!)
Storage: Samsung 256GB 840 Evo + Samsung 512GB 840 Pro
PSU: SuperFlower 1000W Gold Fully Modular

So theres the main system components the GPU is going from a MSI GTX970 4GB to the 1080Ti which I'm excited about! Hold of until the launch of Vega just in case it was a strong contender but the 1080Ti won it for me!

The fun part of this build is going to be the Watercooling element! I've previously used AIO Started with a H80 back in the day then upgraded to a H110. So I've always loved the look of watercooling back in the days of it being Soft Tubing! HardLine tubing is just something else! So I've bitten the bullet and ordered the below also!

Res: EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM
Rad: EK-CoolStream XE 480
CPU Block: Phanteks C350i
GPU Block: GTX 1080Ti Full Cover Water Block
Fittings: 8x 12mm G1/4 8x Satin Black
Tubing: 12/10MM EK-HD PETG Clear
Coolant: Mayhems Pastel - Blue Coolant

Then the necessary tools etc for Bending and Cutting the tubing!

All I'm going to say is I'm really excited to be doing this build!

Will post pics as soon as the parts come in!

Associate
OP
So I totally overlooked the draining of the loop when it comes to upgrades/maintenance!

So Gone ahead and ordered some additional parts for draining the loop for the times that it requires.

Fittings: 4x 12mm G/1/4 Satin Black Phanteks, EK-AF T-Splitter 3F G1/4 and an EK-AF Ball Valve (10mm) G1/4

Soldato
You will order more fittings before you are done. haha that's just the way of the beast unfortunately :D Do note those ball valves do not completely seal. Well, mine didn't any way, so I would put a cap in the end also.

Associate
OP
I hope I don't purchase anymore fitting, I understand how the angled fitting can be attractive and I probably will order some in the future but fingers crossed I'll not need any for a long while. Maybe the next upgrade will be CPU/Motherboard/Memory but at the minute there doing the job I need them to so see no need to upgrade them but I'll re-jig things when that time comes. Also I ordered a cap for the end of the Ball valve when I ordered it!

Just an update. I realized I hadn't ordered any fans for the radiator and I don't currently have any interest of such in RGB until I do the Mobo/CPU and memory upgrades. So went with some Corsair SP120 Fans!

Also done some loop design (rough paint sketch of what I want it to look like obviously doesn't show angles/bends in the PETG.

Soldato
if you want RGB just get some phanteks Halo's!

also, thought about running the gpu and cpu in parallel?

lines coming in from the bottom to both both ports of the GPU and then top ports going to the CPU

Associate
OP
Sorry don't quite understand? So reverse the loop?

<Edit> Sorry I do get what you mean now. I don't see the benefit. It might look slightly tidier but without sounding stupid I dont think it's worthwhile for the small benefit it provides. I may do this in the future when I purchase additional fittings.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So just an update, All parts arrived and made some progress!
gc1jTgZ.jpg

Close up of the Phanteks Fittings in there box.
FGKQowB.jpg

Lovely closeup of the Phanteks C350i Water Block
H8niFQQ.jpg

Now for the GTX1080 Ti Block
nDsNxct.jpg

Pump/Res
PwNlYE2.jpg

Mayhems Pastel!
HXKOPh3.jpg

A nice little closeup of the fittings!
TPL93sb.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Now for some progress pictures, Thought I'd keep the two posts separate.

Case assembled with the Mount holes for the pump/res drilled out and mounted.
022oboE.jpg
0I5yRJK.jpg

Board/CPU/Memory and Riser cable all fitted
ziePxTi.jpg

GPU Block Fitted and GPU installed.
Ia0kAIZ.jpg

Shuffled the GPU Back a little and fitted the radiator.
HXxKn8f.jpg

Finally all Fans fitted to radiator and all Fittings connected.

8652WW5.jpg

Waiting on a new insert after some failed attempts at bending last night which the bends looked perfect but the insert wouldn't come out! XPSC insert at that. I've opted for the Bitzpower 10MM 1M insert for the bending and some extra Bitzpower 10MM ID tubing. So Overclockers should have that to me for tomorrow which means night of from building tonight! but heres some pictures anyway.

Associate
OP
So More pictures of the finished product! Well happy with the outcome although I think I'm going to drain the Fluid as I'm not 100% sold on the Mayhems Pastel
GgUzzfZ.jpg

9xKhgSx.jpg

DqwXety.jpg

q8CXZpt.jpg

H9bvEhI.jpg

FJJJsI3.jpg

AaH3Fiw.jpg

fH4kFGr.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So All up and running, Theres a few changes I'm going to be making over the coming months, Will be changing the cables and using sleeved cables to all Motherboard Power and GPU Power connectors.

I'll be extending the Res as it's far to short for my liking and I'll also be replacing the liquid and use EK Cryo Fuel Navy Blue and Also going to be spray paining the memory heat spreaders as at the minute the Motheboard CPU and Memory are staying for a little while.

Managed to Overclock the i5 4670K up to 4.5Ghz sturggling to get it stable at 4.6ghz but I'll keep going. GPU Core is currently at 2065mhz and the memory is +250 in after Burner. Well impressed with the Phanteks Blocks. I'll post a screenshot later of idle and load temps!

Back
Top Bottom